Music theory questions

silversky

Reaction score
Thanks for reading this post, I have several questions here and im totally confused-

1. What exactly are chord inversions? Is it when you take any chord, C major chord for example (C, E, G) but created it by fretting any of the other strings below the D string, so avoid playing the Bass strings ( low E string, A string , and D string (D strings a bass string in this case isn't it?)
Is that what a chord inversion is? Just create the chord without using the 3 bass strings??? If so does this apply anywhere up the fretboard?

2. When you construct chords, for example an F major chord you take the 1,3,5 from the F major scale and F,A,C are the notes in it, so would that mean you would have to be fretting the F note 1st,the A note 2nd on the string above it , and the C note on the next string. Would it have to be in order like that? Or it doesn't matter what string the note is on as long as you fret those notes needed to create the chord, even if you play a F chord on the higher frets and the notes are far apart would it still be a F chord?

3. Chord construction, 1,3,5 is major, 1,b3,5 is minor, 1,3,5# is augmented, 1,b3,b5 is diminished, and what is a 7th?
1,3,5,b7?? would you add the 7th note from the scale and then flat it like that?

4. I was playing this chord the other day and I was told it was a major 7th chord but then when I was watching this lesson on youtube someone say it was a diminished barre chord, which one is it? Or is the major 7th barre chord the same as a diminished barre chord?---

E:-1----
B:-3---- Is this a Major 7th barre chord shape or Diminished? Or both??
G:-2----
D:-3---
A:-1----
E:-X----

And I was also wondering what this chord shape is since I can't seem to find out what it is anywhere?--

E:-1----
B:-2----
G:-3----
D:-2---
A:-1----
E:-X----

Last question, On the circle of fifths I've noticed they have E# and B# On the sharp side for when you look for your key signature - F#-C#-G#-D#-A#-E#-B#
Whats up with that? I thought there where no E sharps or B sharps??

Then on the flat side theres Bb-Eb-Ab-Db-Gb-Cb-Fb
Same question here, whats up with the Cb and Fb?

Then for finding the F# scale you turn the flat side of the circle to sharps right? so Bb would be A# and so on when you looking at finding the key signature for it? or is that exactly the same as a Gb scale?

:wow:LOL thanks for reading this, I appreciate the replys. Im very noobish when it comes to theory, hopefully one day I'll understand it :D

mcmurray

Reaction score
Thanks for reading this post, I have several questions here and im totally confused-

1. What exactly are chord inversions? Is it when you take any chord, C major chord for example (C, E, G) but created it by fretting any of the other strings below the D string, so avoid playing the Bass strings ( low E string, A string , and D string (D strings a bass string in this case isn't it?)
Is that what a chord inversion is? Just create the chord without using the 3 bass strings??? If so does this apply anywhere up the fretboard?

I'll just answer this one (limited time at the moment).

First of all chords and their inversions are not specific to the guitar fretboard, they can be played by any instrument (or group of instruments), or any group of vocalists. Don't think in terms of guitar strings, at least until you've got your head around the theory.

Take C major chord - C E G (ascending). First inversion is E G C (ascending). Second inversion is G C E (ascending). This can be applied to any 3 note chord (triad).

The C major chord and its inversions can be played in many parts of the fretboard.

Note: a true C major chord only uses 3 notes. At it's most fundamental, you should only be playing 3 adjacent strings.

Try finding all the C's E's and G's on the fretboard and figure out how to play the chord and its inversions in as many locations on the fretboard as possible.

It's entirely possible to play the chord and all its inversions on the 3 bass strings only :)

Latest Threads