Music is the universal language?

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
Well maybe not to everyone but probably is to a lot of us on here. I was bouncing around YouTube last night as I do on my nights off and I came across a video review of a guitar. I believe it was done in Japan. I don’t know Japanese so what they were saying sounded like gibberish to me. You occasionally hear familiar words like the brand and model of guitar..

Once the guy starts playing to showcase how the guitar sounds... I instantly could understand... it’s like, this is my language.. whatever they’re saying is irrelevant...

Anyone else feel the same? I usually don’t watch videos like that because of the language barrier... but music levels the playing field.. so to speak.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Depends. I don't think I have much to communicate with folks who LOVE New Country, Hair Metal or 70's AOR.:laugh2:

rogue3

Reaction score
I was chatting with a colleague from Taiwan recently...images(not music related) we were looking at helped bridge the language gap...until the word Telecaster was uttered by me.Suddenly the conversation became very lively.The language gap shrank a lot more.I showed him a pic of my playing space.Instantly, the world got even smaller,and we were all living in same space.amazing.Leo would have been proud.
Emissary who linked the world.

maybe...maybe,instead of a bunch of suits at the next world order meeting,everyone should show up informally with instruments in hand, proceed to jam,get to know everyone for a bit.chew the music fat,so-to-speak, and once the music has died down,get on with whatever meeting agenda the world order group has come together for. just a vision,i guess.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I was chatting with a colleague from Taiwan recently...images(not music related) we were looking at helped bridge the language gap...until the word Telecaster was uttered by me.Suddenly the conversation became very lively.The language gap shrank a lot more.I showed him a pic of my playing space.Instantly, the world got even smaller,and we were all living in same space.amazing.Leo would have been proud.
Emissary who linked the world.

maybe...maybe,instead of a bunch of suits at the next world order meeting,everyone should show up informally with instruments in hand, proceed to jam,get to know everyone for a bit.chew the music fat,so-to-speak, and once the music has died down,get on with whatever meeting agenda the world order group has come together for. just a vision,i guess.:rolleyes:
At least let's start with getting Stevie Harper and his band back together!

rogue3

Reaction score
At least let's start with getting Stevie Harper and his band back together!
haha! great horn man!

i know a few very specialized people who would love to know how to play. Advice i gave yesterday...its all sequencing,notes, work on the sequences...

Malikon

말억건
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Then the bass player passes out drunk and the drummer tries to fuck your girlfriend. Haha

Music is definitely a universal language. Half the music i listen to isn't in English anyways.

But you still can hear music, singing, emotion, arrangements, passion, technique, etc.

Heck just yesterday i discovered a couple 1970s Japanese Acid-Folk Singers i think are amazing. Never even knew that genre existed.

Music is amazing. It crosses not only distance but time as well, you can hear something from before you were born and have it move you.

It's a language we all instinctively seem to speak and understand.

rogue3

Reaction score
A local schwarma vendor,who i habituate frequently for supper meals when i'm living at work, plays Turkish music in his shop.Lots of bowed instrumentation,combined with vocal chants.He recently hired a new server(young) and the music quickly switched to modern american pop.wtf?...bring back the baglama and the kemence ...please!

bulletproof

aka tarddoggy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Music is amazing. It crosses not only distance but time as well, you can hear something from before you were born and have it move you.

It's a language we all instinctively seem to speak and understand.
+1.....this right here,brother .....well said.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I have been very fortunate to know lots of people, around the world. I am who I am. So, a significant majority of those people have been women. I would say that fewer than 25% of the women spoke English (probably 60% for the men). We'd use a variety of ways to communicate, but we have certainly enjoyed listening to music.

Olds442

Reaction score
we're vibratory beings, music is all about frequencies and vibrations.

song can change our emotions.

good vibes all!

judson

Reaction score
we're vibratory beings, music is all about frequencies and vibrations.

song can change our emotions.

good vibes all!
on a serious note i think about this often as somewhere back in evolution when there were no words just sounds, most things probably heard or felt the vibrations

at some point......as things advanced, things could replicate some of those sounds ......we had ears before vocal chords

fast forward to a few billion years later....not much has changed

:dunno:

BKS

Reaction score
on a serious note i think about this often as somewhere back in evolution when there were no words just sounds, most things probably heard or felt the vibrations

at some point......as things advanced, things could replicate some of those sounds ......we had ears before vocal chords

fast forward to a few billion years later....not much has changed

:dunno:
Sorry could not stop myself.....