Muse pots and wiring

DigitalTone

Reaction score
My LP Muse from last year is cutting volume in and out on the bridge pickup, and rather than have them fix it, I am just going to upgrade the pickups to something I haven't decided on yet and upgrade the pots/switch/jack/wiring. Does anyone know the right size pots and such to get that will fit it? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I have done this with other guitars and it was a crapshoot. I'd like to put push/pull in all 4 while I am at it if that matters.

DrBGood

Reaction score
No need to tear everything out !!! All you need is a $22 can of Deoxit.

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-D5S-6-DeoxIT-Contact-Cleaner/dp/B00006LVEU

The culprit is the toggle switch, probably nothing more than ... dust. Switches and pots are mechanical things and like anything mechanical, they need maintenance. Generously spray the switch contact points while activating it up and down and while you're at it, use some in the pots before they too start acting. I have 15 year old Epiphones with their original components and everthing still works fine.

Alnico Classics are great pickups. What you need to do if they lack in ... something, anything, is take your screwdriver out and adjust their height.If you want to know how too, I'll be happy to guide you.

Oh yeah ... another point. If after spraying the switch it still cuts out, you'll need to make its contacts better by bending the prongs inwards a bit. Easy job. I always find it rewarding when I can solve a problem wtihout having to replace anything.

Toggle switch.jpg

DigitalTone

Reaction score
No need to tear everything out !!! All you need is a $22 can of Deoxit.

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-D5S-6-DeoxIT-Contact-Cleaner/dp/B00006LVEU

The culprit is the toggle switch, probably nothing more than ... dust. Switches and pots are mechanical things and like anything mechanical, they need maintenance. Generously spray the switch contact points while activating it up and down and while you're at it, use some in the pots before they too start acting. I have 15 year old Epiphones with their original components and everthing still works fine.

Alnico Classics are great pickups. What you need to do if they lack in ... something, anything, is take your screwdriver out and adjust their height.If you want to know how too, I'll be happy to guide you.

Oh yeah ... another point. If after spraying the switch it still cuts out, you'll need to make its contacts better by bending the prongs inwards a bit. Easy job. I always find it rewarding when I can solve a problem wtihout having to replace anything.

Thank you.
I'm pretty well-versed in setting up and swapping stuff out and troubleshooting, was just looking for a more clear sound, they're not quite as crisp as the 57 classics and such. I love my Muse, just wanna go for a different sound I think. I will grab some Deoxit, though!

DrBGood

Reaction score
Thank you.
I'm pretty well-versed in setting up and swapping stuff out and troubleshooting, was just looking for a more clear sound, they're not quite as crisp as the 57 classics and such. I love my Muse, just wanna go for a different sound I think. I will grab some Deoxit, though!
Get those pickups lower. They'll clear up like magic. Neck at ring level or lower. Bridge to balance with neck.

rbraad68

Reaction score
I have a set of long shaft pots for one of my epi's and you would deff have to use washers and bolts to rais them in the control cavity to get the hieght right. The short shafts will work better i think...

DrBGood

Reaction score
On both my Epiphone 2004 Vintage G400 and my 2007 LP Ultra, 3/8" short shafts don't fit.

Short shaft - 3/8"
Long shaft - 3/4"

Long shaft pots come supplied with two adjustable nuts, which you can adjust to suit the top depth in the control route. So even if it's thin, you can adjust the two nuts so the pot sits correctly in the body. If you're really not sure, the safest bet is to go with long shaft as it'll fit both.

LP1865

Reaction score
Interesting. i wonder why its different for different guitars. Mine is 2003 and takes short shafts

Robert Corrington

Reaction score
Short-shaft pots are cheaper than long-shaft pots (less material). Most electric guitars and basses use the short-shaft pots. Guitars with flat tops (Gibson SG), thin pickguards or control plates (Fender Strats and Teles), lightly carved tops (PRS Custom 24), semi-hollow bodies (ES-335) and hollow bodies (Gretsch White Falcon) don’t need the extra length.
Typically, only guitars with thicker carved tops (e.g., American made Gibson Les Pauls) need long-shaft pots.

Last edited:

Latest Threads