Murphy News

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like aged because I don't Have to be ultra careful with it....I'll screw up a Gloss model pretty quick,

I get nervous because these cost a-lot....and I will resell ....So it makes sense for me to have at least a VOS model. I have an excellent Aged R8 from 2014, daily driver....my dings included....

christopherJ

Reaction score
I would posit that the vast majority of those that buy over the top reliced guitars have never really seen (let alone played) a legit heavily aged guitar.

The biggest trick to pull off is to make a guitar feel aged, not just look it. I like the feel, not necessarily the look, of reliced guitars.

JMB1984

Reaction score
Murphy guitars are often too over the top, especially if you compare them to most CCs. For example, almost every Murphy has a large amount of razor checking on the headstock, but if you look at the vast pool of CCs replicating actual bursts, hardly any of them have that.

The Murphy lab could be a good thing if Gibson learns to tone it down more like the CCs. The goal should be CC level aging without replicating specific bursts IMO.

GearHo

Reaction score
I would posit that the vast majority of those that buy over the top reliced guitars have never really seen (let alone played) a legit heavily aged guitar.

The biggest trick to pull off is to make a guitar feel aged, not just look it. I like the feel, not necessarily the look, of reliced guitars.

Quite a sweeping generalization, I can only speak for myself, i Have aged guitars, and legit vintage worn instruments. Feel is important, and the best feeling guitar as far as neck in your hand , old school tone is a toss up between cc 28, or my Rossington.

over the top aging has gotten out of hand, and the biggest violators are Fender, and Gibson. Somewhere down the corporate line they felt more is better, and it’s not always the case. Only the most skilled can pull off a legit heavy aged job, it requires more skill than one might think.

You don’t need an aged guitar to have a good feel to it, that is determined via each individual instrument.

if you notice my three pics above, the most heavily aged guitar is the legit goldtop, not vintage by any means but that guitar has literally been around the world on tour for years, not by me but the previous owner.( Dan Bolton,) the cc and Murphy guitars do not look as aged.

My feeling is to judge every guitar as a singular entity, aged, non aged, vintage or new.

goodvibes

Reaction score
C1FE3C5A-861B-4D1B-B6DD-AE1ED41980D2.jpeg

You wanna impress me Gibson & TM? Let’s see you replicate this!

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Murphy guitars are often too over the top, especially if you compare them to most CCs. For example, almost every Murphy has a large amount of razor checking on the headstock, but if you look at the vast pool of CCs replicating actual bursts, hardly any of them have that.

The Murphy lab could be a good thing if Gibson learns to tone it down more like the CCs. The goal should be CC level aging without replicating specific bursts IMO.

This is my CC28

The checking on the headstock can only be seen under certain kinds of light or you are looking really close at it.
With angled light
78DA19C6-5EC7-4137-8D51-3F1B4556F563.jpeg

Without
F3929883-7713-4E79-BD55-F9A9FEA6BE63.jpeg

Same with the rest of the instrument.

At close you barely see it.

0468513D-8943-4CCF-A20D-E41AB16FE567.jpeg

10C64612-A7E0-4104-867C-5FC5B32FDB92.jpeg

From a distance..... not much to see.

BC3534BE-25B0-48F2-AD09-59EBDAF848DC.jpeg

Not over the top but realistic to me with enough room to really age more.

Even the gold silkscreen of the Les Paul model looks missing until you see it in a different angle.

26D1AD03-CE29-4A01-A09E-BCA908D13C91.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest Threads