Murphy News

efstop

Small amps ^^ are fun
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree, but I can’t do the 7.25 radius. And the Pao Ferro looks wayyyy too light in color. Doesn’t effect playability or tone but man that would bother me.
I don't do Pau Ferro on a Tele. What I have and any future Teles will be maple only. My Squier Jazzmaster is PF, but I needed a Jazz :laugh2: I can do 7 1/4" radius no problem

efstop

Small amps ^^ are fun
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should remind you that only the luckiest are privileged with elderly status... those that die young are not. It's not an incrimination, it's a badge of honor.
He who has the most birthdays, wins!

StevenXmas

Reaction score
In regards to Tom Murphy, Tom was primarily a consultant for the last 10 + years. I worked at the Custom Shop for over 20 years and know Tom very well. When Tom was involved in aging we would provide him with so many finished instruments (but not built out) and he would come and pick them up and take them back to his home in Franklin, TN where he would "age" them and then he would return them to the shop to be built out by Final Assembly. Tom had a couple of guys working under him at his home as well that assisted with the "aging" process. Gibson would pay Tom per guitar. Tom would occasionally come into the shop and "age" there as he would instruct the internal "aging" department, which consisted of about 6-8 people. The internal "aging" department was essentially responsible for "light" and standard "aging" and Tom did the "ultra" aging. Tom was not a superivisor or manager at the time, again, just a hired gun / contractor. Tom was involved with many Signatue and Collector's Choice models; but not all of them. Edwin Wilson was over the Historic department and aging at the time and are friends for many years. The final decisions on the aging came from Edwin, not Tom. It is only in the last couple of years, since Edwin was let go before Gibson filed bankruptcy, that Tom has moved into a new role at the Custom Shop under the new ownership (KKR Holdings). Murphy Lab is basically just the interanl "aging" department and now Tom has moved into Edwin's former position. It's really nothing new only for the fact that the new owners / CEO are using Tom's name to promote the brand.

oldflame

Reaction score
They should have employed the guys years ago who can actually do this properly.

strayedstrater

Reaction score
Distressed jeans started out as an attempt to replicate the comfort and appearance of broken-in, "worn out" jeans.

But look at what distressed jeans are like nowadays:
1.jpg

People no longer want to look like they've been wearing the same pair of jeans for a decade. If you wear old jeans with natural holes in the knees and naturally frayed hems (like I do), people don't think it looks cool. They think you look homeless. Shabby.

The new over the top Murphy's may tap into a whole new market. People who don't want to buy a realistic relic that makes it look like they're too poor to buy a nice shiny new guitar -- they want a fashion statement that makes it clear they paid extra for the look.

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Relic guitarist are easy to find..... meth induced aging.....

C5FC4D75-C0D3-446A-B034-3F06E71AD75C.jpeg

fleahead

Reaction score
In regards to Tom Murphy, Tom was primarily a consultant for the last 10 + years. I worked at the Custom Shop for over 20 years and know Tom very well. When Tom was involved in aging we would provide him with so many finished instruments (but not built out) and he would come and pick them up and take them back to his home in Franklin, TN where he would "age" them and then he would return them to the shop to be built out by Final Assembly. Tom had a couple of guys working under him at his home as well that assisted with the "aging" process. Gibson would pay Tom per guitar. Tom would occasionally come into the shop and "age" there as he would instruct the internal "aging" department, which consisted of about 6-8 people. The internal "aging" department was essentially responsible for "light" and standard "aging" and Tom did the "ultra" aging. Tom was not a superivisor or manager at the time, again, just a hired gun / contractor. Tom was involved with many Signatue and Collector's Choice models; but not all of them. Edwin Wilson was over the Historic department and aging at the time and are friends for many years. The final decisions on the aging came from Edwin, not Tom. It is only in the last couple of years, since Edwin was let go before Gibson filed bankruptcy, that Tom has moved into a new role at the Custom Shop under the new ownership (KKR Holdings). Murphy Lab is basically just the interanl "aging" department and now Tom has moved into Edwin's former position. It's really nothing new only for the fact that the new owners / CEO are using Tom's name to promote the brand.

That. Good accounting.

fleahead

Reaction score
And, not at all liking those examples. WAY too many relic'd guitars just seem too beat. I love patina. I love normal progressions of wear. I'm not sure I want a guitar that looks like the drunk fuck that owned it just didn't give a shit about it, lol.....

I aged mine a bit and let nature take its course. But I cleaned it a bit up, buffed it, put newer hardware on it. And now it's all starting to age together gracefully. You can't do that with a production "relic'd" guitar....

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
They could age the knobs,... they stick out like a nipple on a forehead.

Or, maybe, they stick out like a diamond in a goat's ass? :naughty:

:rofl:

I'm never going to buy one of these new Murphy's. There is no TM razor bladed into the nitro near the knobs.

oldflame

Reaction score
Distressed jeans started out as an attempt to replicate the comfort and appearance of broken-in, "worn out" jeans.

But look at what distressed jeans are like nowadays: View attachment 486194

People no longer want to look like they've been wearing the same pair of jeans for a decade. If you wear old jeans with natural holes in the knees and naturally frayed hems (like I do), people don't think it looks cool. They think you look homeless. Shabby.

The new over the top Murphy's may tap into a whole new market. People who don't want to buy a realistic relic that makes it look like they're too poor to buy a nice shiny new guitar -- they want a fashion statement that makes it clear they paid extra for the look.

This is exactly how I picture a Custom Shop heavy relic Strat/Tele. The old NOS, CC and Relics from the early to mid 00's were much better.

GearHo

Reaction score
the new group of "corporate investors" who own Gibson are intent on wringing every last penny out of the brand for as long as it lasts .... they have to recoup their initial investment, plus ideally, pocket a tidy profit .....you can bet your bottom dollar these will not be priced cheaply by any stretch of the imagination, far from it ... I'm not knocking management, it's free market ... sadly, in the end though I think these guitars will end up as also ran's like most of the other "dead accurate" 1959 or whatever other reissues, with certain exceptions of course, like the previously mentioned 2003 Murphy Aged Rossington ... they will be close, but ultimately not close enough ... Murphy has turned 70 and is drastically scaling back his hours so I guess management has to come up with another plan for high dollar relics ... I wish everyone involved good luck with this new project

the Rossingtons are far from accurate, they were a copy of a 59, with an R8 stamp in the body cavity, the Double thumb wheels, fake headstock break, black screws on the pickup surrounds,then we can get into the tops which typical from Gibson, one guitar will never look like another.

There has been chat about Brazilian boards, but none confirmed by Gibson.

Murphy aged them, never painted them, I believe the subtle aging was done well, across the board for the entire run.

Using the freezer method of checking is a crapshoot, I have seen some work by the bowteek guys that was just as bad as anything by Gibson. It’s too unpredictable to be relied on.

So, with this less labor intensive method, we see a substantial price hike, which is the only thing Gibson is consistent with.

VancoD

Reaction score
Everyone likes their own thing, but I've never cared for relics, and I've yet to see one IRL that I didn't immediately know was manufactured.

Murphy's name on these means nothing to me - they still look bad, and are priced at twice their worth. But I'm sure the casuals will be lining up for them.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love a naturally aged guitar... I have no affection for an artificially aged guitar... If a killer player and at a deeeeeeeeeeeeep discount, I might buy it... 'Might'

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bailey's old Goldie Deluxe is gorgeous to me... all worn, dulled, and greened out....

Would I like to have it? Yep!

Would I pay for a new one to be made to look like that? Nawt.

(Willie's books are good..)

1599142026427.jpeg

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bailey's old Goldie Deluxe is gorgeous to me... all worn, dulled, and greened out....

Would I like to have it? Yep!

Would I pay for a new one to be made to look like that? Nawt.

(Willie's books are good..)

View attachment 486634

This is my CC28..... it's aged,.... but not really noticeable from the top without close inspection,.... just more so on the back...... the checking on top is light and covers the whole top....just hard to capture with the iphone. It's the only aged guitar i have but i think it's perfect.

IMG_0597.JPG

Mattcran

Reaction score
Just took delivery of my Wildwood Murphy Painted and Ultra Aged R6 on Tuesday. It's beat to absolute Sh*# and I love it! Going to put on my best pair of pre-ripped jeans and my most totally-rad weathered t-shirt and rock it out now.

3XvPZmJ.jpg

Reaction score
To each their own but I never really understood why some like artificially beat up looking guitars. You have to know it is not real, right? A 1957 Gullwing Porsche is a beautiful work of art. The same car left in a farmers field for 60 years is a rusted pile of junk. I'll take a clean shiny guitar any day. OR a 1959 LP in ANY condition..
They look about as real as a 1957 gullwing porsche

Latest Threads