Murphy News

buckwild

Reaction score
So they finally figured out the lacquer formula that will weather check? Good job guys...you are only about 10years behind the times. I respect and love Tom but I see this as probably another way to hike up prices as a new feature.

Side rant, Caesar bugs the crap out of me. Does anybody else feel like he’s a colossal poser? You look him up and a few years ago he was all Corp and suited up and now he’s pushing the mr cool rocker vibe.

Last edited:

Brek

Reaction score
the first artificially aged guitar i bought was the jimmy page tom murphy aged number one. I loved it, just felt so cool to play and look at. Now the idea of aging just seems wrong. They have got a nitro formula that is stable, but still allows the guitar to breathe when applied thinly. I want my guitars to age from use.

Clint

Reaction score
WW has a couple Murphy ultra aged goldtops sitting at $12,799. Maybe if you slap a braz board on them....

Mattcran

Reaction score
Ughhh! I'll admit that I absolutely love Murphy Les Pauls… actually just bought another one last week because I was feeling like the Murphy Lab thing was never going to materialize. Figured I'd get another one of the "originals" while I had the chance. I'm still wondering if this is a way to phase Tom out of doing everything by hand? Maybe the older ones will still hold their value because they were done by hand by one guy?? Makes you wonder if it will be a more automated process that they can produce more of and possibly lower the price for more universal appeal? Or, will it be the next iteration of an even closer/ultimate realistic relic that will command an even higher price? A higher price seems hard to imagine at this point, LOL. I probably won't have one for a couple years anyway because I hardly ever buy new!

It will be interesting to see what hits the stores!

Subterfuge

Reaction score
the bodies look beat, but the metal parts don't match the relic level of the wood

christopherJ

Reaction score
Yowsers! They had to create a "Lab" to do that? This is what they chose to represent what they are going to do? Pass. The GT looks fake as hell. Name it The "Exacto" Gold Top. All the parts look new with some new version of VOS sauce put on them. New plastics. Screws too clean, etc.

Good grief.

pondcaster

Reaction score
Pass. The GT looks fake as hell. Name it The "Exacto" Gold Top. All the parts look new with some new version of VOS sauce put on them. New plastics. Screws too clean, etc.

Good grief.
Glad I'm not the only one that feels that way.

And I'm usually a fan of relic'd guitars when done correctly.

Its Luke

Reaction score
I love relic’d guitars, but the gold top looks awful.
What are they thinking?

And $12k? Rather buy two CC’s and keep the leftover change.

Oleynior

Reaction score
I love Gibson guitars, I like the art of aging, but... I don't like these Murphy Lab weather checkings. Some of them looks like "broken mirror" bad effect, all of them have the same thickness... Half a year of waiting, I'm disappointed.

Brek

Reaction score
Not a fan of ageing perfectly good guitars unless a sig model. Murphy has a rep as a great shooter, why don't they just pay him to do that, with his own booth for non plasticised lacquer. Then we get 1: a good paint job, 2: a guitar that will age naturally according to how much we play it. We can then easily value the guitar, mo wear mo money. Case queens will stall pretty much mint and will be reviled accordingly. lol. Which reminds me, I wish the guys who select the tops and the guys that shoot use their experience to decide what top suits what burst. As one of my guitars (the tomato burst) flame really did not suit the shot used. It emphasised the wider parts of the flame leaving dark blocks looking like it wasn't sprayed evenly (it was). I now it has nowt to do with playability, but damn it bugs me.

christopherJ

Reaction score
I don't get the whole Tom Murphy lore. There really isn't anything unique or special about what he does. Now a "Murphy" aged/painted guitar will mean any worker bee at the Murphy Lab could have painted it and scratched it up with a #11 blade.

Latest Threads