Murphy Lap checking photo

richp

Reaction score
Can someone point me to some good pics (or post good pics) of the finish checking on the new ML's? I want to compare it to my CC.

TIA

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again? Lol. Ok. ps pics copyright peach guitars.
97E772A6-BBDA-407E-802C-BFACF28AA16E.jpeg
15228358-5CE1-487B-B01D-85639F5BCF94.jpeg

Last edited:

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You‘d think so. Especially for the price. And maybe some parts that are aged to go with the aging level of the guitar. Standard VOS parts on all of them is pretty lame.
I was surprised when I got the photos that the hardware was all new looking, my 2013 aged R9 has ageing to body and hardware, it looks great, this is just odd what they are doing now.
I like the new treatment, as I have too much time on my hands I been looking at old guitars and the checking is consistent with what I am seeing.
My assumption on the Murphy labs is that they are going after the final piece of the hysteric pie, the brittle lacquer refinish. But it’s half arsed without the same effort applied to the hardware, it means some will still go and source some area’59/vintage haven/creamtone/etc etc etc, Gibson! add aged vintage correct hardware! The round thing under the pickup selector for one! Roller marks on the trc for another.

my59

Reaction score
I have a Wildwood Spec by Murphy 58 vos. He aged (yellowed) the pickup rings and the pickguard. Erased a bit of the printing on the pickup selector chip. They used a Tom Murphy thin metal jack plate.
I thought when Murphy lab was introduced these would be standard issue. Interesting

Clint

Reaction score
So other than all the aging, are there any changes that would make someone prefer a 2021 model over 2019 or 2020 model? For example, are they using different paint this year with less plasticizer?
So far, I'm not seeing much that would steer me towards getting a new one.
The aging looks cool but is not worth the big upcharge IMO.

markguitar

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
I was surprised when I got the photos that the hardware was all new looking, my 2013 aged R9 has ageing to body and hardware, it looks great, this is just odd what they are doing now.
I like the new treatment, as I have too much time on my hands I been looking at old guitars and the checking is consistent with what I am seeing.
My assumption on the Murphy labs is that they are going after the final piece of the hysteric pie, the brittle lacquer refinish. But it’s half arsed without the same effort applied to the hardware, it means some will still go and source some area’59/vintage haven/creamtone/etc etc etc, Gibson! add aged vintage correct hardware! The round thing under the pickup selector for one! Roller marks on the trc for another.
Really?? That shattered glass checking from compressed air looks nothing like any vintage guitar I've ever had. :hmm:

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
They did the same on my CC#7 all the parts were un aged and new ... :facepalm:

My “guess” is they don’t think most buyers have ever been close to or held many vintage guitars ... let alone own an example that would demonstrate aging properly.... it’s kinda like the stone washed jeans that came out 30 years ago.. they actually looked halfway descent and convincing... but I have seen some ridiculous copies of the same... jeeze!

the same is true in furniture now... the old worn look is /was popular... then all of a sudden these cheap copies came outa nowhere

bottom line is ... Tom Murphy better make sure his stuff comes out better than HM’s work .... because that’s how he should be doing it ...

Haprom

Reaction score
This White is hard to capture the lacquer checking ... Murphy Lab Aged Jimi Hendrix SG...
IMG_0090.jpg

Last edited:

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a nice example....Thanx for sharing ...

So maybe they are just inconsistent....

buckwild

Reaction score
That is a nice example....Thanx for sharing ...

So maybe they are just inconsistent....
that’s a good point. When you look at the guitars in the promo video, they are a lot better in terms of aging and checking. Makes me think they did those a bit diff than many of the ones I’m now seeing photos of.

zdoggie

Reaction score
because you have cat shit in your sand box, do you think this makes the sand more fun to play in ??
the only positive that I see is it has kept murphy in a job those guitars look like they were wadded up and wrung out to
dry would you take a chain and beat your brand new car with it ! for the life of me I just can't get on with trying to make a new guitar look old , if that is what you want then go buy yourself an old battle axe and get cozy with it !

jenton70

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
because you have cat shit in your sand box, do you think this makes the sand more fun to play in ??
the only positive that I see is it has kept murphy in a job those guitars look like they were wadded up and wrung out to
dry would you take a chain and beat your brand new car with it ! for the life of me I just can't get on with trying to make a new guitar look old , if that is what you want then go buy yourself an old battle axe and get cozy with it !
wut?

Pageburst

Reaction score
Some people like the aesthetic of aged guitars some people don’t. what’s there to understand. It’s no different than a color choice.

For the life of me, I can’t understand why some people get twisted over another person’s aesthetic choice.

Latest Threads