Murphy Lab Pricing

Thundermtn

Reaction score
Interesting. I humbly retract the statement about the MSRP going up. I guess I just got a couple of killer deals in early 2018. I feel like mid-2018 (especially when a lot more Brazilians were hitting the market), was when the surge in demand started exploding and I perceived the prices getting a bit higher. I’m glad I know the real story now. I still don’t remember Murphys costing THIS much more though. I bought a NEW Wildwood Murphy painted & aged Brazilian R0, one of only 6 made, for not too much more than $10.5K. If some of these Murphy Lab releases are being listed for $15K, imagine what they’d be charging for a Brazilian these days. I wouldn’t be surprised if they tried to get $20K for one now.
They might try it. But will people tolerate the instant $6-8K loss. That puts you into a 50's ES with original PAF territory, with no value loss after you buy it. Or New R9 & a real 50's LP Jr. on the same day type of money.

mjross

Reaction score
I don’t know, they wouldn’t be making them if there was not a market! Believe it or not, some people really do not care about resale value, I know a few of them! That‘s just my take, I’ve been wrong before.

Thundermtn

Reaction score
I always thought T.M. guitars only had value added from the high quality of the bursts he sprayed. Aged is fine but his sprays are beautiful!

Looking at all the gorgeous topped CS guitars that were bookmarked on my Reverb account that just sat there, sometimes for over a year, that were priced in the $6-8k range tells me that these are going to have a VERY small consumer base.

Considering he's not spraying or ageing these, I don't think it bodes well for a $10k sticker and certainly not for $15k. It's imaginary value added.

Zylo

Reaction score
guess its a case of as long as people are willing to pay- the prices will keep at these levels or keep going higher...

PauloQS

Reaction score
6499 has been MAP on R9 and R0 for quite a while now. I think dealers have tightened up the discounts a bit. I don't know if that's reflective of changes to cost or just a perceived need in the market. I can only speculate so I'll let Mr. Bishop answer since he'd know.
That’s my understanding too. In 2017 I got a 2016 (shipped from factory in 2017) Guitar Center exclusive R0, often referred to as a G0. The selling point for me was that those G0s are/were R0s with R8 tops at the price of an R8, i.e. around US$ 2,000 cheaper than a conventional R0 and R9. Back then, R8s’ and G0s’ MSRP were somewhere around US$ 4,500 and R9s’ and conventional R0s’ MSRP were US$ 6,500.

Wanna talk about price increase, look at the price history of the Gibson USA faded and tribute. In 2016 they were, either 599 and 699 or 699 and 799 respectively. From there they had a price increase of $100 once to twice per year, if I remember correctly. Now you can find used or demo shop 2016 faded going for around $1,000-$1,100. That’s the insane price increase.

PeteNJ75

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I love Gibson and Tom Murphy does amazing work, but this is actually the first time I'm learning that Murphy Lab guitars aren't actually aged by Murphy himself. For the price, I actually was under the assumption that he was putting more individual attention into these guitars. It's kind of a bummer. No offense to the Custom Shop, but this is starting to sound like a marketing ploy to give factory-aged models more cache. I mean, what sounds better, factory-aged, or Murphy Lab aged. But it sounds like they're pretty much the same now. Is he stepping back completely from doing any hands-on work? If so, the value of those old Murphy-personally-created models is probably going to skyrocket.

Last edited:

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I love Gibson and Tom Murphy does amazing work, but this is actually the first time I'm learning that Murphy Lab guitars aren't actually aged by Murphy himself. For the price, I actually was under the assumption that he was putting more individual attention into these guitars. It's kind of a bummer. No offense to the Custom Shop, but this isstarting to sound like a marketing ploy to give factory-aged models more cache. I mean, what sounds better, factory-aged, or Murphy Lab aged. But it sounds like they're pretty much the same now. Is he stepping back completely from doing any hands-on work? If so, the value of those old Murphy-personally-created models is probably going to skyrocket.
What is really funny is that Tom Murphy doesn't get any of that extra dough on those used old Murphy paint jobs.....no royalties there..... Or any of those dealer mark ups on new ones either.... Seems like Tom is the one getting screwed here.

Mattcran

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I love Gibson and Tom Murphy does amazing work, but this is actually the first time I'm learning that Murphy Lab guitars aren't actually aged by Murphy himself. For the price, I actually was under the assumption that he was putting more individual attention into these guitars. It's kind of a bummer. No offense to the Custom Shop, but this isstarting to sound like a marketing ploy to give factory-aged models more cache. I mean, what sounds better, factory-aged, or Murphy Lab aged. But it sounds like they're pretty much the same now. Is he stepping back completely from doing any hands-on work? If so, the value of those old Murphy-personally-created models is probably going to skyrocket.
I continue to be confused by the arrangement. At first I questioned why I was seeing 3 different MAP prices on basically the same model. Then, I originally thought that Tom was indeed fading out of the picture and training others in his style. However, one dealer (with the highest MAP At 14,699) originally advertised theirs as something to the effect of having "extensive Murphy aging." I assumed they mistakenly cut/paste from an old listing and messaged them on reverb and asked if that was incorrect based on my understanding of the process. The response was "Nope, Tom does some Painting. Tom does do some of the work and this is one of those examples." However, looking back at their descriptions tonight (they now have 4 listed), they seemed to have revised the descriptions to be a little more ambiguous and only mention Tom's work in more general terms. Maybe he's still painting and others are aging? I'm not sure what exactly you're getting with these. Makes me glad I bought a couple "Pre-lab" Murphys in the past few months, lol!

Update : after just typing that, I saw CME posted a heavy aged r9 on reverb for 8999. That's the cheapest I've seen yet. Maybe that's a reduction for "heavy" vs "ultra heavy." Their description indicates "It features Heavy Aging by the skilled artisans of the Murphy Lab, " which I believe is how the coa's actually read. I think I've now seen ultra light, light, heavy and ultra heavy. Not sure if there is a "standard" or "medium" in the middle, but it seems like they're going for 4-5 different levels.

Last edited:

jwehrman

Reaction score
I was excited for this project, but this could end up being a dud with the pricing and lack of transparency. Those $15k pieces will be sitting in the store for years. BTW, that same dealer listed one of those signed "Southern Tribute" pieces for around $13k when they first hit the market. It finally moved 2 years later - likely after a hefty price cut.

PeteNJ75

Reaction score
I was excited for this project, but this could end up being a dud with the pricing and lack of transparency. Those $15k pieces will be sitting in the store for years. BTW, that same dealer listed one of those signed "Southern Tribute" pieces for around $13k when they first hit the market. It finally moved 2 years later - likely after a hefty price cut.
Yeah that particular dealer seems to price things - at least publicly - higher than most other dealers. Still, unless I hear from an official source that Tom is indeed giving these guitars at least some hands-on attention, they are factory-aged despite what they want to call it. Maybe better than factory-aged in prior years, but they’re not real Murphys (IMO of course). Until there’s a single person Tom has taken under his wing and starts to build a name for themselves, I don’t see how Gibson can charge these kinds of prices just by slapping his name on a COA. Like, if they told us that Tom had a protege and we all got to know their name and see that their work is of the same caliber (a la what Fender does with the Masterbuilt guitars), factory-aged is still factory-aged (again IMO),

landguitar

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is interesting, especially when read with/after the previous thread about doing a M2M. I've not gone as far as pricing one out, but have been seriously considering a M2M. I have 3 Murphy-aged now - 2 R9's and a WW Spec R8, and they are all very special, and actually done by Tom. At this point, I think the ability to play one first - even if shipped to me - might trump a M2M and having no idea how it would feel and sound - and even look. And I do agree with the premise that a LP you know and love, sent to HM, might be a better option, especially if the plan (all plans are subject to change!) is to keep it and play it. Hmmm...

landguitar

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just bought this new Murphy Lab Ebony Lightly Aged ’57. MSRP was 4,999 but I bought it for much less so I guess there more affordable options from the Lab :hmm:
Looks like a keeper for sure! Very nice! How is the neck?

LesPaulKev

Reaction score
Looks like a keeper for sure! Very nice! How is the neck?
Thanks. Are you asking about the appearance of the neck or the size? It measures .90-1.00 so not too big. Feels in between a ‘58 I owned before and a carmelita neck.

Latest Threads