Murphy Lab Pricing

PeteNJ75

Reaction score
I've been really curious about these new Murphy Lab R9s, but I just saw a couple of new ones pop up on Reverb, and they're listed for $10,500. Holy crap.

Back in 2019-2020 your run of the mill R9 had an MSRP of $6499, which was already a significant increase from 2018. Have Murphy-aged R9s always been a $4K markup? Am I crazy for thinking that's insanely high? it's not like they have Brazilian boards.

I realize MSRP isn't what people actually spend, but proportionally we're still talking about a huge premium. The new COAs are cool and all, but I'm not sure what else they're doing differently to justify it. Can anyone enlighten me?

guitarbob123

Reaction score
They've seen HM taking $4k for every Deluxe package and thought they'll do the same, via M2M and 'Tom Murphy' aged finish. People like getting their stuff from the factory and not having to send it anywhere or pay out after they've already had to pay once. Convenience and simplicity has always been an easy upsell.

Unfortunately for Gibson, you're still getting better value for money from HM (Braz board, proper nitro, top carve etc.), especially if you get a deal on whatever Historic you'd be sending in the first place.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe there are different levels of ageing at different price points... unlimited lightly aged is $500 up charge to a limited run of heavy aged at a higher price....and it depends on the model as well.

BDW60

Reaction score
I've been really curious about these new Murphy Lab R9s, but I just saw a couple of new ones pop up on Reverb, and they're listed for $10,500. Holy crap.

Back in 2019-2020 your run of the mill R9 had an MSRP of $6499, which was already a significant increase from 2018. Have Murphy-aged R9s always been a $4K markup? Am I crazy for thinking that's insanely high? it's not like they have Brazilian boards.

I realize MSRP isn't what people actually spend, but proportionally we're still talking about a huge premium. The new COAs are cool and all, but I'm not sure what else they're doing differently to justify it. Can anyone enlighten me?
Totally justified. It is 4 times better than a USA Standard, thus the price ... ;)

This is as it always is -- supply and demand. Murphy‘s name and skills are in high demand, the supply is somewhat limited, and some people always have dough to spend on things that most others can’t afford. He does do great work.

BDW60

Reaction score
They've seen HM taking $4k for every Deluxe package and thought they'll do the same, via M2M and 'Tom Murphy' aged finish. People like getting their stuff from the factory and not having to send it anywhere or pay out after they've already had to pay once. Convenience and simplicity has always been an easy upsell.

Unfortunately for Gibson, you're still getting better value for money from HM (Braz board, proper nitro, top carve etc.), especially if you get a deal on whatever Historic you'd be sending in the first place.
But you won’t lose your shirt re-selling a Murphy. I know HM does great makeovers, but I see them listed at prices that lead me to believe the sellers are getting killed based on what they likely have in it.

Say you get a deal on an R9 for 5K. You send it to HM for 4K. Shipping is bat crap crazy right now - you’d have almost 400 bucks in the insured to and fro. So you have almost 9.5K in it and I see them listed for 6K. That is not good math to me. Better be a keeper.

Last edited:

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Does Murphy Lab mean Tom, himself, did the aging or is it done in-house by others using Tom's methods?

Thundermtn

Reaction score
Does Murphy Lab mean Tom, himself, did the aging or is it done in-house by others using Tom's methods?
It's others. These will go down the same as the True Historics, with a major ass ripping in the second hand market.

Dave's still has '18 brazillians in stock for $1,700 less.

They're shooting for the moon here and counting on stimulus cash to make up the difference?

They'll sell a hand full of supposedly the stuff guitars, everyone that buys one will say it's better than sliced bread, everyone else will snicker at them.

Subterfuge

Reaction score
I believe for this project Tom was the instructor and is now long gone. The "team" has taken over ... not quite the same as a Murphy painted and or aged, not by a long shot .. of course the price will increase a lot too ... LOL

jwehrman

Reaction score
$10K actually seems reasonable compared to the prices from a couple other dealers. One has them listed at $15K. NOPE. I followed it on Reverb just to see if t would sell. I got a sale offer from the dealer for $13K. LOLOLOLOL

I don't see how they move these in the US without major price cuts. If they think massive numbers of buyers are going to run out and drain their bank accounts for these they're effing crazy. $10K - sure. $15K - good luck with that. Then again I have a feeling these are directly aimed at the Asian market. Japan LOVES Tom Murphy everything. They will pay it in a flash.

Mattcran

Reaction score
I'm still trying figure out what MAP price actually is for them. I've seen the same ultra aged for sale at 14,500, 12,500 and now 10,500. I didn't think they could advertise over map.

markguitar

MLP Vendor
Reaction score

Some of your info is not accurate. MAP and list price on the R9 has been the same for a good number of years and the price did not go up in 2018.

Thundermtn

Reaction score
$15K, they finally did have the balls to price them higher than vintage Gibsons.

Good luck with that.

Last edited:

PeteNJ75

Reaction score
Some of your info is not accurate. MAP and list price on the R9 has been the same for a good number of years and the price did not go up in 2018.
I assume you know more than I do about the back end of this, but I specifically remember buying my first brand new R9 in early 2018 (granted from a non-official Gibson dealer) for $4800, which was a great deal, but as soon as the 60th Anniversaries started showing up, you started seeing the $6499 price listed everywhere and you couldn’t get one for much less than $5300-5500. It seemed like there was a bump in pricing, or at least advertised pricing.

Either way it doesn’t justify a $4-9K upcharge for an ultra-aged Murphy Lab model in my humble opinion. If he was personally overseeing each guitar I might be more open minded about it but this is starting to sound like another True Historic marketing scheme where you’re basically paying for the COA and caché of saying you have one. Personally I couldn’t bring myself to spend that kind of money on one. For that kind of extra cash I’d rather send it to HM for the superior finish/aging and Brazilian board. Maybe it won’t have the same resale value but I’d rather have the better-spec guitar. I can’t imagine picking out one of your best guitars, sinking $4500 into it for a HM package, and then selling it, so I’m not as concerned about resale value. That said this isn’t about HM... I just think the prices are totally out of control for what is essentially a factory-aged R9. The stuff I’ve seen so far hasn’t looked like any improvement on Tom’s style. A couple have actually been a little underwhelming. Just my opinion of course.

Last edited:

jenton70

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
6499 has been MAP on R9 and R0 for quite a while now. I think dealers have tightened up the discounts a bit. I don't know if that's reflective of changes to cost or just a perceived need in the market. I can only speculate so I'll let Mr. Bishop answer since he'd know.

jwehrman

Reaction score
Not to mention the tops on these, and the Murphy's showing up at WW, are way too chevroned and bland for my taste.

PeteNJ75

Reaction score
6499 has been MAP on R9 and R0 for quite a while now. I think dealers have tightened up the discounts a bit. I don't know if that's reflective of changes to cost or just a perceived need in the market. I can only speculate so I'll let Mr. Bishop answer since he'd know.
Interesting. I humbly retract the statement about the MSRP going up. I guess I just got a couple of killer deals in early 2018. I feel like mid-2018 (especially when a lot more Brazilians were hitting the market), was when the surge in demand started exploding and I perceived the prices getting a bit higher. I’m glad I know the real story now. I still don’t remember Murphys costing THIS much more though. I bought a NEW Wildwood Murphy painted & aged Brazilian R0, one of only 6 made, for not too much more than $10.5K. If some of these Murphy Lab releases are being listed for $15K, imagine what they’d be charging for a Brazilian these days. I wouldn’t be surprised if they tried to get $20K for one now.

PeteNJ75

Reaction score
Not to mention the tops on these, and the Murphy's showing up at WW, are way too chevroned and bland for my taste.
I was thinking the same thing. They’re nice and flashy I’ll give them that but also very cookie cutter “grill mark” type of straight flames that I find boring. Not enough wiggle and character IMO.

Latest Threads