Murphy Lab Owners Thread

Paulg2uk

Reaction score
No problem, Paul! Appreciate the comments. I’ve since given it a proper setup, trussrod needed a tweak and fretboard needed some oil. It sings! Lovely guitar. I always like a back story so thanks for the reply. The guy I bought it off said he just always picked up his 59. He did have 24 guitars!

Another question if you don’t mind, for anyone, did you ever have concerns of the dreaded murphy flaking finish? I can see it looks pretty good but notice around the bottom strap button the checking does seem like there’s tiny gaps under the cracks, almost like moisture? Don’t know how to describe so have a pic. Have seen this on other guitars, feels smooth and doesn’t seem to want to go anywhere. Just curious if anyone has seen this on their murphy labs.
Glad you've got it set up properly and plays like you want it too! I've never noticed any flaking on that guitar or an any or my ML LP's. I am getting it with my 335 though. I've had a bit come off the back of the neck at the bottom and a little on the side too.

I got a little bit of discount on the 335 so I'm not bothered about it.I think it adds character to it! I didn't want to return it as its got something about it! It plays and sounds really good. And I've bonded with it now so I'm keeping it lol.

WACR87

Reaction score
Glad you've got it set up properly and plays like you want it too! I've never noticed any flaking on that guitar or an any or my ML LP's. I am getting it with my 335 though. I've had a bit come off the back of the neck at the bottom and a little on the side too.

I got a little bit of discount on the 335 so I'm not bothered about it.I think it adds character to it! I didn't want to return it as its got something about it! It plays and sounds really good. And I've bonded with it now so I'm keeping it lol.
Top man thanks for the input.

You’ve been so kind and sorry for asking so many questions, I had 1 more and was just interested. The COA booklet was the standard brown one and not the new murphy lab white. It looks genuine but interesting. Perhaps because it was an early ML model.
Also, to touch on your earlier point. The guy I bought it off gave me a great price and was a really nice bloke. I do think however he swapped the case over cos it looks like an older circa 2017 case with the looped latches throughout. No complaints really.
All the best

Paulg2uk

Reaction score
Top man thanks for the input.

You’ve been so kind and sorry for asking so many questions, I had 1 more and was just interested. The COA booklet was the standard brown one and not the new murphy lab white. It looks genuine but interesting. Perhaps because it was an early ML model.
Also, to touch on your earlier point. The guy I bought it off gave me a great price and was a really nice bloke. I do think however he swapped the case over cos it looks like an older circa 2017 case with the looped latches throughout. No complaints really.
All the best
No worries at all, happy to share my experiences with you all. The COA on the 57" was the brown one. I still have a pic of that when I listed it on ebay. I'm not sure what my heavy aged one's look like I'd have to check when I'm back from work later.

The case should've been a brown lifton case, as its from the correct period when Gibson orginally released them. The 335 came in a black case which is period correct as well I believe.

I got the brown case with it when I bought it from GuitarGuitar last year!

WACR87

Reaction score
No worries at all, happy to share my experiences with you all. The COA on the 57" was the brown one. I still have a pic of that when I listed it on ebay. I'm not sure what my heavy aged one's look like I'd have to check when I'm back from work later.

The case should've been a brown lifton case, as its from the correct period when Gibson orginally released them. The 335 came in a black case which is period correct as well I believe.

I got the brown case with it when I bought it from GuitarGuitar last year!
Yeah it’s a brown lifton case with the pink lining but it’s different to my 2021 59 ever so slightly and looks a bit older so I’m guessing he swapped it as he had an older custom shop. It has a latch on the hinge side and they’re all locking loop latches not the smaller ones that don’t lock down on the newer ones. It’s made in Canada not Costa Rica. Doesn’t bother me really. Slight nuances that only a guitar nerd like me would notice.

Thanks again

Paulg2uk

Reaction score
Yeah it’s a brown lifton case with the pink lining but it’s different to my 2021 59 ever so slightly and looks a bit older so I’m guessing he swapped it as he had an older custom shop. It has a latch on the hinge side and they’re all locking loop latches not the smaller ones that don’t lock down on the newer ones. It’s made in Canada not Costa Rica. Doesn’t bother me really. Slight nuances that only a guitar nerd like me would notice.

Thanks again
Gotcha! Does it have the blanket? Those are from the 90's I still have a couple of those myself.

If not it's probably from the run of ML's. Thinking about it I seem to remember from a video Trogly posted a while back that the first run were all made in Canada and then they switched over production to Costa Rica.

WACR87

Reaction score
Gotcha! Does it have the blanket? Those are from the 90's I still have a couple of those myself.

If not it's probably from the run of ML's. Thinking about it I seem to remember from a video Trogly posted a while back that the first run were all made in Canada and then they switched over production to Costa Rica.
Perhaps it is! If you send me a pic of it from your old collection I’ll tell you :). My 59 was made less than a month later in Jan 21 and has the Costa Rica case.

Either way the guitar is so good I almost considered selling my 59. Could never!

Paulg2uk

Reaction score
Perhaps it is! If you send me a pic of it from your old collection I’ll tell you :). My 59 was made less than a month later in Jan 21 and has the Costa Rica case.

Either way the guitar is so good I almost considered selling my 59. Could never!
I don't have a pic of the case I'm afraid sorry only the COA booklet. I don't usually take photos of my cases when I buy a guitar. I should probably start doing that now lol

Latest Threads