Murphy Lab Owners Thread

amorrow

Reaction score
Braz may be the most significant thing they’re missing, but a lot of the boards used are still very nice and look the part.

81E93927-A156-4206-A268-DFA8671CF52C.jpeg

CanopyChaseSounds

Reaction score
I’ll drop my 2c in here as well. Recently acquired this R7 Ultra Light. In my opinion, absolutely stunning looks and in terms of sound and playability it’s the nicest Les Paul I’ve ever played. Excellent resonance across all frequencies. very clear articulate sound both amped and acoustically, and feels great to play. Rosewood board is extremely tight grained and feels more like ebony than RW to me. I don’t buy these things to look at, to display, or to corksniff, so for me things like unaged plastics, or “out of sync” aging on hardware don’t even register on my give-a-shit meter. For me, it’s a keeper hands down.

EDCC553A-7B13-4F90-8668-2407A339E1B0.jpeg

785EB556-6B63-40CF-A1A1-78FBB4A20343.jpeg

134F1E3A-3145-471B-956E-E370B85B2D22.jpeg

Thestratophile

Reaction score
Here's mine, late 2020 Murphy Lab R9, light aged, Royal Tea Burst aka 'Grace'. My favourite guitar ever, nothing else comes close, I feel honoured to own her - strangely looks almost ice tea burst in these pics but in daylight much more faded and brown - I love that it changes colour in different lights - cool :cool:
20220921_233107.jpg
20220925_232419.jpg
20220905_043453.jpg
20220921_233044.jpg
20220902_000638.jpg
20220917_020852.jpg

Last edited:

Spirit

Reaction score
Great thread guys,one thing though,why do they not age the nut,on all the Guitar I have seen ,they have aged everthing apart from the nut,

moreles

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who posted their guitars, we can see lots of ML instruments instead of having to just read subjective verbal descriptions which are necessarily super inadequate. The pics are great. As a non-owner following this thread (My Gibson is a reissue, not ML) I find myself wondering if the ML heavy relic treatment produces a more playable, good-feeling neck. I do have a relic Fender CS Strat, and as seems most common for those, when it comes to the neck, the treatment focused on beautifully rolled fretboard edges that feel great to play, and worn necks that are incredibly smooth to the touch and which play really fast -- in other words, enhancements, and zero intrusive marring or hacking. Some of the ML guitars shown here made me cringe with really rough belt-sander swipes through the finish and into the wood, and peels, hacks, and dings on the back and sides of the neck. I've found that again can make a guitar feel and play better, but those ML treatments give me pause. OTOH, the colors, the luster of the finishes, and what appears to be the thinness of the finishing has major appeal and the flaking and peeling, and the instability of the hardware surface treatments that had been reported at first are not evident at all. If I were buying a new, non ML LP, I would be asking, "Why can't Gibson spray some of those gorgeous colors on regular release guitars???" I like them way more than anything even PRS, with all their emphasis on color, is producing. Thanks again for the thread.

Nikodax

Reaction score
Here is my new Wildwood Spec Heave Aged R9 next to Lemon Fade 60th Anniversary R9. It wasn’t my favorite top but fine folks at WW picked this guitar out of bunch based on my specific requirements ( tonally ). First I though I would send it back since i didn’t love the top. However it feels and sounds amazing. I kind of forgot about aging and top next day it arrived. It’s just really inspiring to play. Neck is slimmer then my 60th too. Initially I was going to sell 60th Ann lemon fade but after having Murphy for few weeks . I will most likely keep both.
8423D627-8C67-45DE-90A3-C357473E6A40.jpeg
BF5EE36A-8481-439F-A951-46EB4C184A78.jpeg

Nikodax

Reaction score
At the end of the day, if YOU are happy with your Murphy that's all that matters.

I am happy. I like to think I got very good sounding one. It’s def has more clarity and sustain vs my 60th R9 and R7. For me biggest challenge shopping Gibson Custom Shop is not being able to play guitar in person. Since there are no stores around which would have at least couple guitars in stock. I have to rely on communication with remote store trying explain what I’m looking for. So I had them compare guitars based on tone. Obviously it’s pretty subjective so who knows.

Bordeaux

Reaction score
I’m waiting for the right Murphy R9 to come along - looking for something like factory burst. I had an ultralight aged R9 that was a superb player and sonically pleasing, but the aging was very unrealistic - like they took a Gloss R9 and stuck it in the freezer for a few weeks and let it check and that was it. Beautiful gloss finish with checking, so I sent it back. For the money I still love my factory Brazilian 2017 R9 that Historic Makeovers repainted and aged for me. It feels and plays wonderful, and it left a great Les Paul and came back a killer Les Paul. Must be the ultra thin 50’s lacquer. At 7 pounds 13 ounces, it’s a dream to strap on and the braz board just gets blacker by the day. I still want a ML, but will go for heavier aging this time and thankfully have time to be selective. I haven’t seen any ML Les Paul customs yet - I would love to see a black beauty with medium aging - anyone have one?

I’m waiting for the right Murphy R9 to come along - looking for something like factory burst. I had an ultralight aged R9 that was a superb player and sonically pleasing, but the aging was very unrealistic - like they took a Gloss R9 and stuck it in the freezer for a few weeks and let it check and that was it. Beautiful gloss finish with checking, so I sent it back. For the money I still love my factory Brazilian 2017 R9 that Historic Makeovers repainted and aged for me. It feels and plays wonderful, and it left a great Les Paul and came back a killer Les Paul. Must be the ultra thin 50’s lacquer. At 7 pounds 13 ounces, it’s a dream to strap on and the braz board just gets blacker by the day. I still want a ML, but will go for heavier aging this time and thankfully have time to be selective. I haven’t seen any ML Les Paul customs yet - I would love to see a black beauty with medium aging - anyone have one?
That's a beautiful guitar!

Reaction score
That's a beautiful guitar!
Thank you! It’s a beast of a Lester. Gibson is producing some fine instruments these days. I got a 68 LPC black beauty (Wildwood Spec) about six months ago and it’s superb in all regards. The fretwork in particular is so good, there is not a spot on the neck that isn’t smooth as glass, and bends slippery as silk. Under 9 pounds to boot with no chambering. The Wildwood low wind pickups are superb as well. These guitars might be pricy compared to other brands, but for those of you that have found your dream Les Paul, especially the ML series, the cost was well worth the price of admission. I wish they would offer Brazilian fretboards though. Seems odd to go through all the trouble of building the most realistic burst reissue, but fall short on the fretboard. IMHO.

Attachments

• 99905BB1-2578-448D-9727-607EDF7A1DEB.jpeg
    99905BB1-2578-448D-9727-607EDF7A1DEB.jpeg
    113.1 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

soyboi

Reaction score
Braz may be the most significant thing they’re missing, but a lot of the boards used are still very nice and look the part.
I still don’t get the Brazilian rosewood hype. My 2020 R9 has dark rosewood like yours and tight grain. Looks a lot better than the braz on my 65 es 335.

Reaction score
I still don’t get the Brazilian rosewood hype. My 2020 R9 has dark rosewood like yours and tight grain. Looks a lot better than the braz on my 65 es 335.
I don’t get into the hype or significant upcharge charged for Brazilian rosewood, but the whole concept IMHO of the historic reissues is getting as close to the holy grail Les Paul’s that are so desirable and priced out of reach of the average person so that we can experience a bit of the “magic” of a 59 burst or 57 gold top.

I would rather they focus on period correct fretboards than period correct plastics which doesn’t much matter to me other than the inlays. I have several reissues with Brazilian fretboards and they look like ebony, have a waxy feel that does affect my playing speed in a positive way. I can’t tell if there’s a tone difference, but cosmetically (excluding their 2003 versions) my guitars with Brazilian wood look and feel much better than Indian rosewood I’ve seen. The guitars look authentic.

As the reissues, and particularly the ML guitars exceed the $10,000 mark, I can’t see why gibson can’t put a braz fretboard on select guitars as a regular manufacturing practice. PRS is cranking out Gibson style guitars with braz fretboards around the $5,500 mark, why can’t Gibson do the same? Surely they have connections in the lumber industry.

soyboi

Reaction score
I don’t get into the hype or significant upcharge charged for Brazilian rosewood, but the whole concept IMHO of the historic reissues is getting as close to the holy grail Les Paul’s that are so desirable and priced out of reach of the average person so that we can experience a bit of the “magic” of a 59 burst or 57 gold top.

I would rather they focus on period correct fretboards than period correct plastics which doesn’t much matter to me other than the inlays. I have several reissues with Brazilian fretboards and they look like ebony, have a waxy feel that does affect my playing speed in a positive way. I can’t tell if there’s a tone difference, but cosmetically (excluding their 2003 versions) my guitars with Brazilian wood look and feel much better than Indian rosewood I’ve seen. The guitars look authentic.

As the reissues, and particularly the ML guitars exceed the $10,000 mark, I can’t see why gibson can’t put a braz fretboard on select guitars as a regular manufacturing practice. PRS is cranking out Gibson style guitars with braz fretboards around the $5,500 mark, why can’t Gibson do the same? Surely they have connections in the lumber industry.
They need to save a few historic features each year for the next round of “truly historic” 59 RIs. Braz might be one of them

bluesguitar1972

Reaction score
Here's a Light Aged '59 ML in Royalty Burst
I've owned quite a few Gibson Historics and this is by far the best playing and feels great. No QC issues. At first I really didn't like the artificial aging, but after having owned quite a few Fender Custom Shop Relics I've come around. They feel more like a worn in shoe. Murphy Labs has the same broken in feel, with the added bonus I don't worry about using it at gigs etc.

20220228_135228 (1).jpg

Attachments

• 261463941_10165617565100332_1831100970083611399_n.jpg
    261463941_10165617565100332_1831100970083611399_n.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 16

WACR87

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I hope you are all well. I gave in a couple of weeks back and ended up selling off my 54" Goldtop VOS. I decided to put the cash towards this really nice 57" light aged Murphy Lab Goldtop with a dark back. This had been one of my dream guitars to buy for a very long time and was really glad Gibson included this in the Murphy Lab line. I know they make a VOS version as well but I do like the ageing on them.

This is now the 2nd ML I own and I'm very happy. They both play great and feel very comfortable like a worn in pair of shoes lol The only thing I can say that bugs me a little is the neck pickup sounds a bit muddy on the 57" but the bridge sounds awesome.

I'm actually thinking of swapping the pickups out anyway and just wondered what you guys recommend? Throbaks, Wizz, OX4's? There's more I can think of but I'm interested to see what you all recommend.

Anyway enough of me rambling. Here's some pics of the 57"

View attachment 551196 View attachment 551197 View attachment 551198 View attachment 551200 View attachment 551201
Hi Paul,

I’m new to the forum! I was scrolling and came across your gold top. It immediately grabbed me. I have this exact guitar. I bought it earlier this week. I matched the checking lines!
Can I ask if you changed the pickups in the end? I was under the impression they are the originals!
Any other comment about it? I’m now the third owner so perhaps I should wonder if it’s not a keeper. So far very pleased. I love the narrow frets. I have a 2021 R9 VOS which I love as well.

Paulg2uk

Reaction score
Hi Paul,

I’m new to the forum! I was scrolling and came across your gold top. It immediately grabbed me. I have this exact guitar. I bought it earlier this week. I matched the checking lines!
Can I ask if you changed the pickups in the end? I was under the impression they are the originals!
Any other comment about it? I’m now the third owner so perhaps I should wonder if it’s not a keeper. So far very pleased. I love the narrow frets. I have a 2021 R9 VOS which I love as well.
Sorry for the late reply. So it got sold on again? Interesting. The guy I sold it to said he was after something like that for a while and was quite pleased with it at the time. I hope he sold it to you for a decent price. I'd hate to think he was just trying to flip it for some extra cash.

It was all stock when I sold it on and I was thinking about changing the pickups in it but I never got around to it unfortunately. I found it to be a good guitar and it always sounded and played very well. I just decided to buy the Kindred burst in the end as it came up one day and that was the one guitar I wasn't really attached to so I sold it on. I would like to buy another goldtop at some point but probably a heavy aged one this time.

I hope that helps.

Cheers

Paul

WACR87

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply. So it got sold on again? Interesting. The guy I sold it to said he was after something like that for a while and was quite pleased with it at the time. I hope he sold it to you for a decent price. I'd hate to think he was just trying to flip it for some extra cash.

It was all stock when I sold it on and I was thinking about changing the pickups in it but I never got around to it unfortunately. I found it to be a good guitar and it always sounded and played very well. I just decided to buy the Kindred burst in the end as it came up one day and that was the one guitar I wasn't really attached to so I sold it on. I would like to buy another goldtop at some point but probably a heavy aged one this time.

I hope that helps.

Cheers

Paul
No problem, Paul! Appreciate the comments. I’ve since given it a proper setup, trussrod needed a tweak and fretboard needed some oil. It sings! Lovely guitar. I always like a back story so thanks for the reply. The guy I bought it off said he just always picked up his 59. He did have 24 guitars!

Another question if you don’t mind, for anyone, did you ever have concerns of the dreaded murphy flaking finish? I can see it looks pretty good but notice around the bottom strap button the checking does seem like there’s tiny gaps under the cracks, almost like moisture? Don’t know how to describe so have a pic. Have seen this on other guitars, feels smooth and doesn’t seem to want to go anywhere. Just curious if anyone has seen this on their murphy labs.

Attachments

• 38D18216-B959-49F8-8009-13B6C7C86E6B.jpeg
    38D18216-B959-49F8-8009-13B6C7C86E6B.jpeg
    87 KB · Views: 34

Latest Threads