Murphy Lab Owners Thread

searswashere

Reaction score
Kindred burst is cool. Hows the neck feel with those finished/sanded transitions?

mjross

Reaction score
I'm not usually a fan of heavy ageing but that ^ looks amazing! Congrats!
Hey man, at least you can gig it and not worry about putting another ding in it :)
See, that’s it right there! You can gig and not worry so much about dinging an incredibly expensive guitar! I treat my relics as if they were new and shiny, but if I get that frickin ding because the bass player was not paying attention, I don’t get so pissed. PISSED, but not as bad as usual!

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a non native speaker I'm not sure if you're thinking I don't like ML, so I'll clarify just to make sure. I love the look of ML guitars, but as we know they all look different (that's why we love them) and Gibson themselves said they would continue to age with time. The natural checking I noticed didn't look bad at all.
no not aimed at you, the guy saying he sniggers at ML owners.

Toos

Reaction score
I played my ML 59 last night and I loved it so much I picked up a 61 today. Playability is off the charts. We are living in a great time for Gibsons.

Attach0_20220816_193431.jpg
Attach0_20220816_193421.jpg

danzego

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Sorry for the delay in posting but I've had a busy weekend gigging! Managed to get a few shots of my new toy lol.

59" Kindred Burst Ultra Heavy aged! I was trying to buy a 57" Goldtop ultra heavy aged but I couldn't get a good deal on It unfortunately. Never mind maybe I'll get one next time. I'll add it to the list lol.

So I ended up spending more lol. Anyway here's a few pics for you all enjoy!

yjFT4GH.jpg

gtajoHP.jpg

e8peq9M.jpg

WsgEBFW.jpg

TGRLOxF.jpg

eGWSgrs.jpg

J2pYGAp.jpg

Yo316dO.jpg

cAYsJoF.jpg

That’s a real beauty right there. I love Kindred Bursts and got one myself about a week and a half ago (though mine is VOS; I don’t like the feel of neck checking).

Kindred Bursts can be a real crapshoot. They seem to spray them with either an almost black rim or a more brown rim. I’ve also seen them with a more pale yellow or gold middle (I had one a couple years ago that I sent packing) or a real nice amber middle. I was convinced I wanted a black rim one but ended up buying a brown one with a great amber center and I’m so glad I did. In person, it’s stunning, as I’m sure yours is. Good choice!

DADF#AD

Reaction score
I saw the review, inspiring

I have to say it … because I thought about it when he said it…

he said that a pre- aged guitar doesn’t feel like “his” I get that….

However the point for me is… it allows you to be less careful with a very expensive guitar…

with a Gloss model …I’m afraid to touch it … ding it and you’ll never forgive yourself… they are somewhat sticky and over polished somewhat…

they belong in a glass display case

VOS is cool but you still need to pick it up with at least a grain thought…

But and aged guitar can go to practice… the other guitar player can play it … all night if he wants … (which btw is a good was to listen to your signal chain)

and an aged guitar can get dinged… it doesn’t even need a stand ! Just lean it up against your marshall

no worries
I know that this thread is over a year old but I've been considering an aged LP lately & have been checking out related threads.

I feel the exact same way about a beautiful, undamaged guitar (especially if it's gloss) & I'm not as relaxed playing one as I am w/say, my road worn Ancho Poblano hybrid strat that I built.

I'm looking to just focus on playing a well made, great feeling & sounding LP reissue w/out worrying as much if I should put a nick or ding in it. Of course, I would like one that's aesthetically pleasing but not a showpiece to be locked away as an investment for future liquidation. I want a lifelong keeper these days & I think that the aged historic might be the answer.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then do it! Get it used… usually a bit cheaper that way…

And now that I had time to think about it … if your going that way for those reasons, get a factory aged from a few years ago and not a Murphy Lab … you might not want to kick around a Murphy lab…. Because of the up charge…

Just a thought

indravayu

Reaction score
Got my second Murphy Lab yesterday - a light aged 58 LP in Lemon Burst - and it's amazeaballs! My first ML is a light aged '64 ES-335 in custom ordered Watermellon and it's equally great.

I hate the prices on these, but I do have to admit that they are damn fine instruments.

Attachments

• tlebrxrdicktjom4ax81.jpg
    tlebrxrdicktjom4ax81.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 335-2.jpg
    335-2.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 34

Mudflap

Reaction score
When I first got my Murphy lab 60s les paul, I was plugged in by 11 am and didn't put it down at 2 pm that should say enough. LOL Okay here goes. I knew that the ultra heavy age wasn't going to be my first choice but Steve M at wildwood guitars said as far as tone goes it is as good as it gets, it's truly a magical guitar. So I had to hear for myself. It's a lot of money but now that I've experienced it I just wouldn't be able to return it. The back of the neck has a large portion of the lacquer worn off and I could feel where it started and stopped and I wasn't overly thrilled with that. But now I can honestly say I don't feel it or really see it because the tone is so wonderful, beyond what words could say. Weighting in at 8.25 supper dark fret board my favorite and with the wildwood spec under wound custom buckers is just to die for. In the 50 plus years I've been playing I have truly found my soulmate in this Murphy Lab 60s les paul. Let me leave you with this if you want my Murphy lab 60s les paul first you'd have to kill me then pry it loose from my cold dead hands.

Attachments

• 274C183A-0E65-4CE8-AB27-8D621FF8E40A.jpeg
    274C183A-0E65-4CE8-AB27-8D621FF8E40A.jpeg
    149.6 KB · Views: 35

Stolen#961253

Reaction score
full

I think it'd be nice to see a thread that hopefully bypasses the Murphy Lab bashing and is a place for owners and prospective owners to discuss these guitars, their impressions, thoughts, photo's etc.

I've got an R0 heavy aged in my possession that I'm doing a little video review of, and also doing a shootout with my 2018 M2M. I've got some thoughts on the guitar, but I'm curious to see what others think of them after having owned / played them. So post away! Pics are always a bonus ;)
I love the one I got and looking for an R9 or R0!

Bordeaux

Reaction score
Here's my R8 ML lightly aged. I absolutely love the aged guitars. I think they give it a one of a kind feel (because of course they are) and character.

I know some people just totally hate these but to each his own.

Mine is a keeper, its def a cut above my standard LPs. Ive had mine a little over a year. The pickups are phenomenal. It's light, 8.2lbs and the neck is a dream (fat neck).

No flaking on mine. I heard about that when they first came but Music Zoo told me it was only the initial run.

I'll take a few more pics when I get home. These one aren't all that great.

Attachments

• 20210728_201028_resized_2.jpg
    20210728_201028_resized_2.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 20210728_201053_resized.jpg
    20210728_201053_resized.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 35

Mickey B

Reaction score
I initially wasn't a believer but have purchased many of the new Murphy labs. Love them. These two '58 were made a month apart, both great, but both a bit different in feel and sound just like the originals

Attachments

• 20220927_170439.jpg
    20220927_170439.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 36

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found a very interesting thread on the gear page from 2018 (before the launch of the ML range) with a bunch of builders talking about lacquer, one of them talked about using non-cat lacquer and forced ageing, and he described exactly what happened to some of the labs. Also mentioned was that the 50's formula was not non-cat, but the additives used gassed off quickly and then the checking started at varying rates depending on the environment the guitar was in. It also changed at some point as the additive became unobtainable, I think soy-based oil was the latter additive. So there is a chance that there are two slightly different types of finish (and subsequent ageing) on the old ones.

It is great that they are having a go at this old look, and, as has been proved there is a learning curve with it. There is an aged 2022 kindred burst in my nearest store that the lacquer looks a step up from the '58 I had. Would I buy another one? most definitely. But, it would have to have a Braz fretboard.........

Reaction score
I’m waiting for the right Murphy R9 to come along - looking for something like factory burst. I had an ultralight aged R9 that was a superb player and sonically pleasing, but the aging was very unrealistic - like they took a Gloss R9 and stuck it in the freezer for a few weeks and let it check and that was it. Beautiful gloss finish with checking, so I sent it back. For the money I still love my factory Brazilian 2017 R9 that Historic Makeovers repainted and aged for me. It feels and plays wonderful, and it left a great Les Paul and came back a killer Les Paul. Must be the ultra thin 50’s lacquer. At 7 pounds 13 ounces, it’s a dream to strap on and the braz board just gets blacker by the day. I still want a ML, but will go for heavier aging this time and thankfully have time to be selective. I haven’t seen any ML Les Paul customs yet - I would love to see a black beauty with medium aging - anyone have one?

Attachments

• ED678ED9-1615-4947-99D9-6793427AAB35.jpeg
    ED678ED9-1615-4947-99D9-6793427AAB35.jpeg
    130.5 KB · Views: 38

Wheelr

Reaction score
Lol, I don’t think anyone here turned a Caddy into a VW. You might want to sit this one out.
Ya my brain just cant figure it out! Just seems wrong and my brain wont let me agree

Wheelr

Reaction score
Yeah, I've been through all the avenues for sourcing good aged knobs over the years. Just seems odd to me that Gibson would continue to overlook this aspect of replicating an aged guitar. Especially with the new "holy grail" Murphy Labs.
And wear from turning the knobs up and down, i have seen okd guitars and paint is missing around the volume knob and a bit on tone or other volume knob

Latest Threads