Murphy Lab Owners Thread

yeatzee

Reaction score
One thing I don't see, and may be missing, about the Murphy Lab Les Pauls.. On the aged models, there appears to be no aging whatsoever applied to the volume and tone knobs. New looking knobs on an otherwise well worn guitar seem out of place to me. Perhaps the aging is there, and just too subtle to capture in most pictures?
Nope you are correct, I'd classify it as no aging honestly. I discuss that in my review (still editing, they take forever to edit!), but it's not just the knobs. The hardware is also lightly aged on the heavy aged + models. In fact things like the thumbwheels and strap buttons looked brand new on this R0 I had for a bit.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeeze … they did the same thing on some of the CC models…. Like CC#7…

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing I don't see, and may be missing, about the Murphy Lab Les Pauls.. On the aged models, there appears to be no aging whatsoever applied to the volume and tone knobs. New looking knobs on an otherwise well worn guitar seem out of place to me. Perhaps the aging is there, and just too subtle to capture in most pictures?

I felt the same with my Collectors Choice #28..... nice aging except the knobs and plastics..... before CreamTone went to shit, they made some very nice greened/aged top hats.... I bought two sets.

The set on the guitar are aged and the two upside down knobs show the color differences.

FAF44B93-EBA7-4616-9F6D-54F597DFECA2.jpeg

The green comes thru the gold... as the gold is actually greened.

You can probably source these from another dealer..... I wouldn’t advise using CreamTone.

EdmundGTP

Reaction score
Yeah, I've been through all the avenues for sourcing good aged knobs over the years. Just seems odd to me that Gibson would continue to overlook this aspect of replicating an aged guitar. Especially with the new "holy grail" Murphy Labs.

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've been through all the avenues for sourcing good aged knobs over the years. Just seems odd to me that Gibson would continue to overlook this aspect of replicating an aged guitar. Especially with the new "holy grail" Murphy Labs.

Yup....:dunno:.....that’s Gibson.

DanD

Reaction score
It's really sad when you have to go to the aftermarket to finish the aging on a 12k guitar.

I've already ordered aged knobs, aged truss cover, aged tuners and aged my own bridge, tailpiece, and thumbwheels for my 'almost' aged '54.

Seems for this kind of money the end user shouldn't have to complete the guitar. Gibson continues to fail year after year with this.

Only thing I can gather from that is Gibson just doesn't give a f*ck.

If they did care about it they've had over 2 decades to rectify it...

amorrow

Reaction score
I actually have no complaints on the knobs. I have the greener Creamtone and Montreux Time Machine on other guitars and in my opinion the unaged True Historic-spec knobs look the best, even on an aged guitar….the others look a bit dark to me. I’ve seen a lot of well used originals with hardly any greening, and with their fairly rounded corners I don’t think they look too bad.

It’s the brand spanking new looking rings and switch that look the most out of place on my heavy aged in my opinion.

The visible unaged parts on my 54 heavy aged are the knobs, switch, and strap pins. My 59 is same deal, but pickup rings weren’t aged. I actually just swapped the rings for whiter aged Area59 pieces…the screws were all aged, just not the plastic.

Last edited:

DanD

Reaction score
Those are some of the differences between doing a Standard and Custom.

Un-yellowed numbers on black knobs just doesn't look right for an aged guitar. Same with truss cover, the edges should be yellowed to some degree.

No worries for pup rings on a '54 Custom but yeah, I definitely get it for an aged Standard.

Poker chip and switch metal is easy enough to age.

Pup covers won't ever look great on a P90 as the real ones are caved in on most. I'll let those age naturally.

MCT

Reaction score
I felt the same with my Collectors Choice #28..... nice aging except the knobs and plastics..... before CreamTone went to shit, they made some very nice greened/aged top hats.... I bought two sets.

The set on the guitar are aged and the two upside down knobs show the color differences.

View attachment 548235

The green comes thru the gold... as the gold is actually greened.

You can probably source these from another dealer..... I wouldn’t advise using CreamTone.
I think Mark’s Guitar Loft still has those same knobs for sale- he and Lonnie from Creamtone joined forces in making them. So if not from CreamTone, then you can still get them from Mark.

EdmundGTP

Reaction score
Mark's amber knobs are currently the best ones that I know of.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made my own … you need to scrape away or thin the gold… or use a thin dark green coat the a green top coat .. then scuff the outer surface slightly and very random.. then buff slightly …

I haven’t figured out a way to yellow the numbers or plastic … but an amber top coat would do it… but playing like I do ….and it would wear off

Adinol

Reaction score
They would have to age the volume knobs more than the tone knobs, as most players use volume knobs more than tone.

EdmundGTP

Reaction score
My tone knobs get the Ron Popeil treatment. "set it and forget it!"

kelsodeez

Reaction score
Neck pickup with the tone knob rolled back to three with the tube screamer on is my solo tone. Creamy and thick like a five dollar milkshake

yeatzee

Reaction score
YouTube finally finished processing the primer video I shot going over the guitar, murphy labs in general, and the owners impressions so far. Check it out here:

After we shot this he left the guitar with me for about a week and I shot a full blown honest review of it, and compared the guitar to my 2018 M2M so stay tuned for that.

bugman

Reaction score
i love the 58 aged plain tops, They look sweet and shoot i don't another 30yrs to play it to age it, lol

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
YouTube finally finished processing the primer video I shot going over the guitar, murphy labs in general, and the owners impressions so far. Check it out here:

After we shot this he left the guitar with me for about a week and I shot a full blown honest review of it, and compared the guitar to my 2018 M2M so stay tuned for that.
Great job on that video, @yeatzee ! I found it interesting how Daniel said the ML doesn't feel like his guitar because of the aging. It's obvious from your video how much he loves his VOS anniversary R0, and is looking forward to it aging as he plays it.

yeatzee

Reaction score
Great job on that video, @yeatzee ! I found it interesting how Daniel said the ML doesn't feel like his guitar because of the aging. It's obvious from your video how much he loves his VOS anniversary R0, and is looking forward to it aging as he plays it.
I think many on here would echo Daniel's sentiment on that. I'm not in that camp personally, aging has nothing to do with whether a guitar feels like mine or not, but I think he went out of his way to really have a clean blank slate with his anniversary R0 to be factory fresh so that he could age it naturally over time. The Murphy is a shortcut to that for sure.

Your mileage will of course vary, we cover that a bit in the latter half of the video.

I'm still editing the review, but in the meantime, here's a shot of the gorgeous top on it!

wJ1ojpl.jpg

Latest Threads