Murphy Lab Owners Thread

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
No bashing, but I do have a serious/silly question...

Does Murphy Lab offer headstock any repair option? I mean, that they break off the headstock and reglue it, to make it look as if the guitar had a headstock repair.

No they won't actually break a guitar.....though on some Collector Choice models the Custom Shop would emulate or fake a broken headstock or neck repair with some surface scratching that would simulate the actual guitar..... CC#1 and few others have had this done.

CC 01A fake headstock repair on a "Greenie"

IMG_8951_2b71425e-308b-4ada-a1d8-226673c8539b_2048x.jpg

Last edited:

timberterra

Reaction score
I think it'd be nice to see a thread that hopefully bypasses the Murphy Lab bashing and is a place for owners and prospective owners to discuss these guitars, their impressions, thoughts, photo's etc.

I've got an R0 heavy aged in my possession that I'm doing a little video review of, and also doing a shootout with my 2018 M2M. I've got some thoughts on the guitar, but I'm curious to see what others think of them after having owned / played them. So post away! Pics are always a bonus ;)

Thanks for posting this. Just the other day I was thinking about trying to get impressions on how they sound rather than hear about the quality of the aging process.

Naquat

Reaction score
To each his/her own. I personally wouldn't pay big $$ for a custom shop or pro aged guitar but if someone else does....hey it's their money and not for me to judge. It's subjective just like music. It's kind of like all the hate I see for John Meyer. I like some of his material, some not. If someone else loves him or hates him that's their perception. I dig old guitars but I'm not paying $50K or more for one. LOL....To someone else....if they want to...go ahead I'll be happy for you!

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
No but this was simulated with a few …I know for sure it was a Gary Rossington and a Paul Kossoff model (maybe a CC model)

jenton70

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, yep it's a darker brownish red color.

zdoggie

Reaction score
I really dont think that folks are picking on murf buy I do understand the logical side of the disagreement

why take a new cadallic and and morph down to a bone yard VW maybe it should be called morphys

thats just my opinion

zdog

amorrow

Reaction score
I really dont think that folks are picking on murf buy I do understand the logical side of the disagreement

why take a new cadallic and and morph down to a bone yard VW maybe it should be called morphys

thats just my opinion

zdog

Lol, I don’t think anyone here turned a Caddy into a VW. You might want to sit this one out.

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
To each his/her own. I personally wouldn't pay big $$ for a custom shop or pro aged guitar but if someone else does....hey it's their money and not for me to judge. It's subjective just like music. It's kind of like all the hate I see for John Meyer. I like some of his material, some not. If someone else loves him or hates him that's their perception. I dig old guitars but I'm not paying $50K or more for one. LOL....To someone else....if they want to...go ahead I'll be happy for you!

thats just my opinion

zdog
That’s not what this thread is about.

kelsodeez

Reaction score
Seeing how cool these artificially aged guitars look just makes me excited/less anxious to see what my LP is going to look like in 30 years

Adinol

Reaction score
No they won't actually break a guitar.....though on some Collector Choice models the Custom Shop would emulate or fake a broken headstock or neck repair with some surface scratching that would simulate the actual guitar..... CC#1 and few others have had this done.

CC 01A fake headstock repair on a "Greenie"

View attachment 547338

Interestign! So I wasn't far off, after all.

Some exptertly done headstock repairs actually look so good they add character to the guitar. And possibly even make that weak transition stronger.

As we speak I am actually doing a headstock repair on an Epiphone, that I deliberately broke, just to do a headstock repair. It's an Epiphone that a customer abandoned because it needed more work than the guitar is worth so he just left it. I've done quite a few headstock repairs but I am using this one to practice some new approach.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mulling the 1960 ....I like THAT one!

EdmundGTP

Reaction score
One thing I don't see, and may be missing, about the Murphy Lab Les Pauls.. On the aged models, there appears to be no aging whatsoever applied to the volume and tone knobs. New looking knobs on an otherwise well worn guitar seem out of place to me. Perhaps the aging is there, and just too subtle to capture in most pictures?

Latest Threads