Murphy Lab Owners Thread

yeatzee

Reaction score
full

I think it'd be nice to see a thread that hopefully bypasses the Murphy Lab bashing and is a place for owners and prospective owners to discuss these guitars, their impressions, thoughts, photo's etc.

I've got an R0 heavy aged in my possession that I'm doing a little video review of, and also doing a shootout with my 2018 M2M. I've got some thoughts on the guitar, but I'm curious to see what others think of them after having owned / played them. So post away! Pics are always a bonus ;)

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Looking forward to your video, @yeatzee. You always do such a great job on those.

I don't own a Murphy Lab but I did play one this past weekend. Felt a lot like an HM to me; similar neck carve to the "Uncle Lou" profile (it was an R9) and the nitro looked and felt close as well. It was lightly aged, and had zero signs of any (unintended) finish issues.

Overall, I was impressed.

Haprom

Miserable Bastard
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
:drool:-Dude That Birdseye Top... Really Really Love This One... My New Forum Favorite Plain Top of all Time...

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah happy with mine. My 1958 is simply amazing, I didn't particularly want the aging, not because i am anti, but because it costs more. its the only option if you want a guitar with this harder lacquer formulation. That being said, when i saw the light aged '58 I thought thats mine right there. So i did pay more in that instance. However i have become much more picky about the guitars as a result, i have sent the 1954 back, its a great guitar, but does not match the resonance of the 1958. For that money i want to be wowed completely in all areas. Will probably stick some humbucker sized p90's in the goldtop.

boola1

Reaction score
Yeah happy with mine. My 1958 is simply amazing, I didn't particularly want the aging, not because i am anti, but because it costs more. its the only option if you want a guitar with this harder lacquer formulation. That being said, when i saw the light aged '58 I thought thats mine right there. So i did pay more in that instance. However i have become much more picky about the guitars as a result, i have sent the 1954 back, its a great guitar, but does not match the resonance of the 1958. For that money i want to be wowed completely in all areas. Will probably stick some humbucker sized p90's in the goldtop.

What was it about the harder lacquer that made you want one?

I could probably see myselft stumping up the cash for one if after trying it I discovered it was the best guitar I've ever played but not sure it would stretch to a heavy aged. For one the price, secondly I can't stand dents in the neck, I think they've gone a step too far there.

amorrow

Reaction score
Dang, every one in this thread, plain or figured, has a great top.

I've posted pics of mine in other threads, but here are different ones showing my '59 M2M and '54 heavy aged. Really love the finish on these, although I am starting to see some lifting on the '59 in near the strap pins and jack plate, but not nearly as bad as the ones shown in other threads. No way I'm returning though. One thing I really like on the '59 is the binding...rolled a bit more than the '54 and my other Historics.

bsn4kUL.jpg

05QwYsR.jpg

eXknGY9.jpg

FMffM1P.jpg

84T2LxL.jpg

w3sWL7S.jpg

EhIbJlw.jpg

7EPfAv7.jpg

QCkpoJr.jpg

wQlhcT9.jpg

dkdQg5G.jpg

i9iGT3N.jpg

Last edited:

DanD

Reaction score
I could see doing a hard lacquer finish only model.

Like Fender's 'Relic Ready' series.

I really think that should have been Gibsons' entry level into ML.

An extra $300 for lacquer that would check more readily?

I'd be down with that.

Paulg2uk

Reaction score
Here's my 59" heavy aged in slow iced tea. I really like the one it plays fantastic, sound awesome! and I just can't get over how good the ageing is! I just knew it was the one in the store when the case opened. I was just speechless.

I've now got my eye on a light aged 57" Goldtop dark back. I was very tempted to trade in my 2019 54" Goldtop reissue this week for the 57" but I think I'll hold onto it for now! Although I could always buy a 54" heavy aged at a later date. Very tempting lol.

No39pG1.jpg

kkhKLt6.jpg

vOV3iwP.jpg

T4MbuZz.jpg

0xgRgpy.jpg

IhUcTuf.jpg

91cvuZc.jpg

aii4BQN.jpg

hd7gqD2.jpg

enw2k2H.jpg

JvnAERV.jpg

L4twihB.jpg

Adinol

Reaction score
No bashing, but I do have a serious/silly question...

Does Murphy Lab offer headstock any repair option? I mean, that they break off the headstock and reglue it, to make it look as if the guitar had a headstock repair.

• Wow
Reactions: TM1

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
No bashing, but I do have a serious/silly question...

Does Murphy Lab offer headstock any repair option? I mean, that they break off the headstock and reglue it, to make it look as if the guitar had a headstock repair.
No

Latest Threads