Murphy Lab Heavy Aged Pics

Injector

Reaction score
You needn't worry. Since the previous owner left, Gibson is now, finally, going in the right direction in all prospects. I don't think people will be disappointed.
I don't buy this. They're expanding production and quality always suffers. I have seen a metric ton of low quality LPs these past couple of years.

calieng

Reaction score
I don't buy this. They're expanding production and quality always suffers. I have seen a metric ton of low quality LPs these past couple of years.

I would say the fit and finish is better than it ever has been. At a whole new level this year.

What is suffering is wood quality (aesthetics). Just take a look at the tops and back wood compared to a few years ago or even what would have been on them in 1999 and early 2000s. There are still some gems and most are very nice tops but there are a few tops that never would have made it on a Historic Les Paul in past years. Does not mean that the weight isn't decent or that it does not sound great just a lot more flaws in the wood are being accepted so it seems.

Patek

Reaction score
That is the Wildwood Guitars medallion. Maybe a little hard to see as I has to downsize the image to post here.

I always put the black cover on once I get the guitar.

That one is a 1960.
It really is a stunning piece - you should be very proud of that one. Good find

Injector

Reaction score
I would say the fit and finish is better than it ever has been. At a whole new level this year.

What is suffering is wood quality (aesthetics). Just take a look at the tops and back wood compared to a few years ago or even what would have been on them in 1999 and early 2000s. There are still some gems and most are very nice tops but there are a few tops that never would have made it on a Historic Les Paul in past years. Does not mean that the weight isn't decent or that it does not sound great just a lot more flaws in the wood are being accepted so it seems.
I'm seeing way too many horrifically mismatched tops, like dealbreakingly badly mismatched.

calieng

Reaction score
It really is a stunning piece - you should be very proud of that one. Good find
Thnk you. It is a Wildwood spec. The color in person is very much similar to the 2017 run Tom did. I would not be surprised if Tom painted it. He is doing some painting for Wildwood still.

voices

Reaction score
You don't have to buy it :p

The Custom shop is a small operation with a small amount of staff compared to the main factory which is separate. That's why they cant keep up.

Pageburst

Reaction score
You really do have to see it in person. I have three in heavy aged and they all look like the most convincing vintage Les Pauls I have ever seen and they sound amazing....

When you get to see one in person let us know what you think. The photos are often hard to really appreciate how the guitar really is.

View attachment 533104 View attachment 533105 View attachment 533106 View attachment 533107
Isn’t that from Wildwood? I think that’s one I had my eye in and was waiting on checking pictures. You beat me to it I love the look of that guitar

calieng

Reaction score
Isn’t that from Wildwood? I think that’s one I had my eye in and was waiting on checking pictures. You beat me to it I love the look of that guitar
Yes. Just got it yesterday. It's a 1960. Fairly slim neck.

spartacus slim

Reaction score
Not all tops are perfectly matched just like original Bursts were not. Just look at Billy Gibbons's Pearly for example.
I love to see a beautiful top, but the imperfect ones look way more convincingly vintage to me - straight out of BOTB.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Be aware that there's a lot of pressure on the wood industry to provide really nice instrument woods, and that pressure is such that sometimes the manufacturers have to settle for what they can get rather than what they want.

Curly and quilted maple, for example, are relatively rare occurrences within their respective tree species. And with so many large and small instrument makers all wanting the nicest pieces they can get, and some are ready to spend MANY hundreds of dollars for the very best grade quilt or flame top set, you can easily understand that instrument makers have no choice but to settle for less. It's supply and demand at work.

Latest Threads