Murphy Lab Heavy Aged Pics

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would love one of those, it’s only available in the heavy aged version, which makes it kinda pricey in the U.K. could you indulge me and take a pic of the back and post on my thread about back grain. Ta in advance.

calieng

Reaction score
This really could pass for an original '54 with two exceptions.

The knobs are not really yellowed or aged - no big deal I can do that.

The fretboard does not have wear spots - but I don't think other companies do that either on rosewood - Fender does on the lacquer for maple boards. Probably would not go over well with some customers.

calieng

Reaction score
Damn I should not hype these up while I am still trying to unload my shitty....I mean my awesome other Les Pauls....I am not the brightest bulb on the Xmas tree.

JaxLPGuy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reminder. I need to head back to the other thread to see what kind of crap you have left.

calieng

Reaction score
Thanks for the reminder. I need to head back to the other thread to see what kind of crap you have left.
It's just a bunch of shit nobody wants....don't waste your time....wait until I dump it all at Goodwill.

JaxLPGuy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously. I've seen some of the horrible mess. You should be ashamed of yourself.

But hey, I'm a good and noble person and I don't want you dumping that hot mess on the folks at Goodwill. So I'll take one for the team and take some of that junk off your hands to spare them getting stuck with it. Just think of the children, man.

calieng

Reaction score
Seriously. I've seen some of the horrible mess. You should be ashamed of yourself.

But hey, I'm a good and noble person and I don't want you dumping that hot mess on the folks at Goodwill. So I'll take one for the team and take some of that junk off your hands to spare them getting stuck with it. Just think of the children, man.
Fine bring a pickup truck. I might yank the pickups out of some of those turds but you can have the firewood.

tomajoha

Reaction score
As an update on my Light Aged R8: The honeymoon period is nowhere near over, its by a country mile the best custom shop Les Paul I’ve played. The sound is so open, ringing and alive. I think I’ve finally found a Les Paul that ls killed my Les Paul GAS!
I took a punt thinking the first ML’s will either be (a) really good or (b)terrible by comparison when in 5 years time when they’ve streamlined the process, at this point I can’t see how they’d make this guitar better.
Mine is a 2020 serial number up in the 900’s, what’s yours @calieng ?

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Calieng, that is a sensational looker, only way I could get an ultra light aged is m2m, but prices for m2m are hard to predict according to chap I spoke to at Peach guitar in U.K. could end up being nearly as much as heavy aged, or £400 more than the Goldtop entry price. Plus I have read orders are piling up, so lead time? Bit of a gamble as not sure if I can choose the blanks or not with m2m, like all of them? Neck, body, and top cap, I know it won’t be seen, but you, go hard or go home, and weight of course, a biggy for me, having a lighter les Paul makes it so much more enjoyable to play stood up.

Ref serials: Mine is 7 0780. Gotta get that 4 digit serial.....

Last edited:

Torshalla

Reaction score
Nice to see!
Gibson really are doing a great job. And people seem willing to pay for it. Thumbs up

Frutiger

Reaction score
The guitars in this thread look fantastic!

I was very sceptical of the new Murphy Lab but now I'm seeing more of it, I think a lot of it looks great (and I say this as a 100% committed, totally dogmatic vintage guy).

I do however think that some guitars are better value for money than others - The heavy aged Juniors seem to be the same price as vintage models - I saw a heavy aged Les Paul TV Model recently that cost the same as the original 1956 one I bought six months ago. I can't see those selling for their current prices, imo they'll need a HEAVY discount to move them.

The carved top Les Pauls, 335s etc. though look as close as you'd get to the 'real thing' for a sensible budge though and I can see Gibson selling boat-loads of them. Even the most expensive full Murphy painted, heavy-aged Les Paul standards are a bargain compared to 'Burst and even conversion prices.

By the look of the guitars here, I could see one of these being the first 'new' guitar I've ever bought.

tomajoha

Reaction score
The guitars in this thread look fantastic!

I was very sceptical of the new Murphy Lab but now I'm seeing more of it, I think a lot of it looks great (and I say this as a 100% committed, totally dogmatic vintage guy).

I do however think that some guitars are better value for money than others - The heavy aged Juniors seem to be the same price as vintage models - I saw a heavy aged Les Paul TV Model recently that cost the same as the original 1956 one I bought six months ago. I can't see those selling for their current prices, imo they'll need a HEAVY discount to move them.

The carved top Les Pauls, 335s etc. though look as close as you'd get to the 'real thing' for a sensible budge though and I can see Gibson selling boat-loads of them. Even the most expensive full Murphy painted, heavy-aged Les Paul standards are a bargain compared to 'Burst and even conversion prices.

By the look of the guitars here, I could see one of these being the first 'new' guitar I've ever bought.
This is now my only ‘new’ guitar too and fits in perfectly with it’s ‘old’ stablemates. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. Of course I can base my recommendation on a sample size of one ML guitar put it definitely hold it’s on against my vintage Gibson’s.

glenngross

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate to be negative but I doubt they keep this up. As a buyer of several early True Historics I saw the wood quality decline by the end of the first quarter 2015. Still nice stuff but they usually bring out the best first. There will be of course many gems throughout the year - just need to pick the best you can find when you are ready to buy.

I have heard the same from dealers I have talked with recently - Gibson is swamped with orders and there will be a wait for more inventory. I should have grabbed the '64 ES-335 Block I was looking at a week ago but now may have to wait a bit.

You did not see many like this after first quarter 2015....
My friend’s shop has a 64 red block neck, but it’s not a Murphy Lab. I’m not sure if it’s a 20, or a 21. I’d be happy to get you in touch. I just saw it an hour ago.

Patek

Reaction score
Keep seeing these Murphy lab heavy aged and although most are nice from the front the wear on the back around the belly side is just horrible. Looks like someone took a chisel to the finish and chipped it off in chunks. I honestly can’t stand it

calieng

Reaction score
Keep seeing these Murphy lab heavy aged and although most are nice from the front the wear on the back around the belly side is just horrible. Looks like someone took a chisel to the finish and chipped it off in chunks. I honestly can’t stand it
You really do have to see it in person. I have three in heavy aged and they all look like the most convincing vintage Les Pauls I have ever seen and they sound amazing....

When you get to see one in person let us know what you think. The photos are often hard to really appreciate how the guitar really is.

01433_lg6.jpg
01433_lg1.jpg
01433_lg2.jpg
P1010652.JPG

Last edited:

Patek

Reaction score
You really do have to see it in person. I have three in heavy aged and they all look like the most convincing vintage Les Pauls I have ever seen and they sound amazing....

When you get to see one in person let us know what you think. The photos are often hard to really appreciate how the guitar really is.

View attachment 533104 View attachment 533105 View attachment 533106 View attachment 533107
i do really like this one. From the front it is a 10 out of 10. As you say I will wait until I see in person.
What’s going on with the pickup selector cavity in the 3rd pic ?

calieng

Reaction score
i do really like this one. From the front it is a 10 out of 10. As you say I will wait until I see in person.
What’s going on with the pickup selector cavity in the 3rd pic ?
That is the Wildwood Guitars medallion. Maybe a little hard to see as I have to downsize the image to post here.

I always put the black cover on once I get the guitar.

That one is a 1960.

Last edited:

Latest Threads