Murphy Lab Heavy Aged Pics

calieng

Reaction score
Just wanted to share some pics for those interested in this model. A big thank you to those friends who have been buying my other gear to allow me to order this one and a thank you to Willcutt's for a good deal.

20210415_200217820_iOS.jpg
20210415_200228645_iOS.jpg
20210415_200306894_iOS.jpg
20210415_200313183_iOS.jpg
20210415_200323107_iOS.jpg
20210415_200352582_iOS.jpg
20210415_200412115_iOS.jpg
20210415_200414767_iOS.jpg
20210415_200558644_iOS.jpg
20210415_200545618_iOS.jpg

Last edited:

calieng

Reaction score
After finally seeing one of these in person I can only say that Tom Murphy is a Master and I am not worthy....

He and his team did a beautiful job.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Reaction score
Damn, huge congrats. That looks utterly fantastic !! Often I feel that relic jobs can look a bit overdone or underwhelming but this one is just spot on. Incredible

Noah330

Reaction score
I saw one of the black ES-335s at GC yesterday. It looked pretty cool but I didn't play it or anything (I only play if I'm buying that day). Yours looks neat.

Mr.6 String

Reaction score
beautiful! I have an ultra light Murphy lab ‘59 in factory burst, the guitar is fantastic sounding and playing however I noticed a couple spots where the finish chipped off on the inside of the horn and another spot on the edge, are you experiencing any chipping on yours?

calieng

Reaction score
I saw one of the black ES-335s at GC yesterday. It looked pretty cool but I didn't play it or anything (I only play if I'm buying that day). Yours looks neat.
Yes I saw those online. They look really nice. I bet they sound great too with the new finish.

calieng

Reaction score
beautiful! I have an ultra light Murphy lab ‘59 in factory burst, the guitar is fantastic sounding and playing however I noticed a couple spots where the finish chipped off on the inside of the horn and another spot on the edge, are you experiencing any chipping on yours?

It just arrived today. But I will let you know if it does happen with this one.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
I will say that they did a good job of making the intentionally applied damage look like real ageing.

I don't philosophically agree with faking the ageing process but they did it well.

Mr.6 String

Reaction score
It just arrived today. But I will let you know if it does happen with this one.
I went nuts a couple weeks ago and bought a ‘57 ultra light Murphy aged black beauty and the ‘59 factory burst, they’re both ultra light aged but the factory burst has way more checking on the sides, it almost looks like a mosaic

Attachments

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome!, there are three available in the U.K. with a similar flame top, going to look at one tomorrow. Congrats, this range are a very nice uplift to the reissue spec, I know it’s all marketing and we are being suckered into dropping huge sums, lol, but it is probably, for me, the best of all the improvements they have been doing over the last two decades.

Last edited:

Bro KV

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beautiful guitar and the aging is truly amazing work. Aged guitars just are not my thing but I appreciate the detail and am completely stoked for the new owner(s).

calieng

Reaction score
I went nuts a couple weeks ago and bought a ‘57 ultra light Murphy aged black beauty and the ‘59 factory burst, they’re both ultra light aged but the factory burst has way more checking on the sides, it almost looks like a mosaic
A couple things...If you are not considering any kind of warranty claim for that then I would get a lacquer touch up marker from StewMac.com and seal that spot so you do not loose more adjacent pieces. But you may want to bring it to your dealers attention first and see what they say.

From looking at both finishes I am wondering if they even use the same finish on the heavy vs light aged or the same aging process. Mine almost looks like a varnish that has been chemically wrinkled and yours look like a brittle nitro that has been temperature cracked. But who knows I am just throwing out ideas....beautiful guitar by the way.

Last edited:

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I knocked mine every so gently on top of guitar stand today, the lacquer cracked in a very different way to the 2020 model I have, it’s definitely a more brittle formula, as the lacquer has cracked rather than chipped or just left a dent like it did on the R0, the tiny little mark left looks more aesthetically pleasing somehow, as far as dints go that is. So I guess what I am saying is, expect some flaking of lacquer to some degree, that’s what it does, and what people has been sending out to HM and others to provide. As they say, it’s not a fault it’s a feature.

tomajoha

Reaction score
It's certainly very hard, thin and brittle. It also sounds nice and alive, I'm very happy with it and when the new ML's where announced I have to admit rolling my eye's and muttering proanfities Gibson's way but I'am a convert.

Mr.6 String

Reaction score
A couple things...If you are not considering any kind of warranty claim for that then I would get a lacquer touch up marker from StewMac.com and seal that spot so you do not loose more adjacent pieces. But you may want to bring it to your delaers attention first and see what they say.

From looking at both finishes I am wondering if they even use the same finish on the heavy vs light aged or the same aging process. Mine almost looks like a varnish that has been chemically wrinkled and yours look like a brittle nitro that has been temperature cracked. But who knows I am just throwing out ideas....beautiful guitar by the way.
That’s what I did, I have a friend thats in the guitar painting busines, she matched the lacquer but was afraid to wet sand and buff it, I ended up buffing the areas and it now looks like an old but good touch up job, I believe they’re using no placticizers in the nitro blend

Attachments

Noah330

Reaction score
If Gibson is smart they’re going after the aftermarket refin/aging folks. For a small upcharge at the factory it makes sense for them and the customer as resale would be much easier.

Latest Threads