Murphy Lab Finish Repair - Not!

calieng

Reaction score
So I sent my '59 Southern Fade back two weeks ago due to finish coming off and just received a guitar back today. Turns out it is a different guitar. So in my case at least the repair was a complete replacement guitar.

Can't say I am dissapointed but not totally happy either. The turn around time was much faster than I expected but the guitar I sent in was one that had a specific weight and straight grain back and a flame that I like that took me a while to find. The one I received back is a nice guitar but the top has some cross-grain with dark streaks in it. I suppose most people would like it but just not the guitar I had picked out. But I think the staff at Gibson did a pretty good job trying to select an equivalent guitar.

Moral of the story is if you have finish coming off your guitar understand that you may not get it back if you send it in for repair. You can ask Gibson Customer Service for more info on that.

Original

Gibson-Custom-Shop-1959-Les-Paul-Standard-Reissue-Ultra-Light-Aged-Electric-Guitar-Southern-Fa...jpg

Replacement

IMG_3574.JPG

Last edited:

calieng

Reaction score
P.S. The version 2 finish is very glassy and hard. Finish cracking is much finer and less obvious.

ajory72

Reaction score
Your original looks really nice, and the replacement I Imagine (as its hard to tell from pic) has the same red in it.

The replacement looks really nice - but its good to get a heads up about this as I'm not sure I'd be so gracious about it. I mean we kind of hand pick guitars and a lot goes into the decision when laying out so much $$$$$.. I think the top on your replacement look sreally nice though and hope you are happy with it.

Overall what the weight and sound like on the replacement?

calieng

Reaction score
Your original looks really nice, and the replacement I Imagine (as its hard to tell from pic) has the same red in it.

The replacement looks really nice - but its good to get a heads up about this as I'm not sure I'd be so gracious about it. I mean we kind of hand pick guitars and a lot goes into the decision when laying out so much $$$$$.. I think the top on your replacement look sreally nice though and hope you are happy with it.

Overall what the weight and sound like on the replacement?
The new one is 8 lbs 12 oz and the original was 8 lbs 6 oz. It sounds pretty good. But the original had that something special in the tone. Great sustain and each note was well defined and focused. That was why I took a chance on the finish and held on to it when I returned the other defective Murphy Lab guitars a couple months ago.

It would have been nice if Gibson had explained that I might not get my original guitar back.

Last edited:

calieng

Reaction score
I think the replacement looks better. Any straight-on shot to compare?

And I think Gibson if they're smart will paint black over your original and sell it as a Blackburst :)
The original had a better top. I'll see if I can find some other past photos of it and take a few of the new one. I just got back from a trip to the east coast so I have a few things to deal with first.

I do like the new nitro and more subtle cracking. It seems to be a lot better than the first version.

Last edited:

judson

Reaction score
I like the original....as i dont like glossy guitars

but still nice...knock the shine down some maybe on the second

and sometimes its just how the image was taken can make a difference ...both are nice really :yesway:

Last edited:

danzego

Reaction score
Man, sorry to see that happen. A damn shame that you ended up with something you don’t like as much. If I were you, I would roll the dice and see about sending it back and getting to select one of your choice.

I did exactly that last year after buying a 60th Anniversary V1 R0. The finish on the binding of the bass side of the neck had a bumpy texture and I was able (through quite a bit of effort and help from a marketing manager who dealt with the store I bought it from) send it in for repair. It took Gibson 5 months of no response before I knew what was going on. When they finally got the guitar back to me a few weeks after that, unfortunately someone had put a ding in the back of my brand new guitar.

I had waited patiently for that guitar to come back, trying to check in but never losing my ish when I got nowhere, and seeing that made me sick to my stomach. I contacted Gibson and told them straight up that I wanted a replacement. I also stated that I wanted to give them a few guidelines I follow when selecting a Gibson (no binding ridge left from scraping amongst other things) and wanted to make sure it was a nice looking guitar with a light weight. I got them to send pictures of one and I hated it, so I sent them example pictures of what I thought looked awesome. They selected one that was light (ended up being 8 lbs 1 oz), it sounded great, and the best top I’ve ever seen in person.

Then I asked them to send the guitar to me before I sent the other back so I could try them side by side to make sure I was getting something I preferred. I didn’t go Karen on them or anything, but I was firm and pointed out the issue was of no fault of my own, so why should I end up with a guitar that I liked less?

I’d imagine you wouldn’t be able to take them THAT far, but at least for the money you spent, you may be able to talk them into having someone hand pick one to your spec and give it another try. It’s worth a shot, I think.

Do you have a contact that you’ve been dealing with at the Custom Shop? Or emails with customer service? The guys on the phone won’t be able to do a thing for you.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
I guess it's good Customer Service... but why not discuss it with you before sending another guitar?

:dunno:

I completely get your frustration.
I wouldn't be happy either.
Any chance you get to know what will happen to the original guitar?

calieng

Reaction score
Man, sorry to see that happen. A damn shame that you ended up with something you don’t like as much. If I were you, I would roll the dice and see about sending it back and getting to select one of your choice.

I did exactly that last year after buying a 60th Anniversary V1 R0. The finish on the binding of the bass side of the neck had a bumpy texture and I was able (through quite a bit of effort and help from a marketing manager who dealt with the store I bought it from) send it in for repair. It took Gibson 5 months of no response before I knew what was going on. When they finally got the guitar back to me a few weeks after that, unfortunately someone had put a ding in the back of my brand new guitar.

I had waited patiently for that guitar to come back, trying to check in but never losing my ish when I got nowhere, and seeing that made me sick to my stomach. I contacted Gibson and told them straight up that I wanted a replacement. I also stated that I wanted to give them a few guidelines I follow when selecting a Gibson (no binding ridge left from scraping amongst other things) and wanted to make sure it was a nice looking guitar with a light weight. I got them to send pictures of one and I hated it, so I sent them example pictures of what I thought looked awesome. They selected one that was light (ended up being 8 lbs 1 oz), it sounded great, and the best top I’ve ever seen in person.

Then I asked them to send the guitar to me before I sent the other back so I could try them side by side to make sure I was getting something I preferred. I didn’t go Karen on them or anything, but I was firm and pointed out the issue was of no fault of my own, so why should I end up with a guitar that I liked less?

I’d imagine you wouldn’t be able to take them THAT far, but at least for the money you spent, you may be able to talk them into having someone hand pick one to your spec and give it another try. It’s worth a shot, I think.

Do you have a contact that you’ve been dealing with at the Custom Shop? Or emails with customer service? The guys on the phone won’t be able to do a thing for you.

Yes I have a contact name and email from Customer Service but only to setup the return shipping for the original guitar. I did not hear anything from them after that. The guitar just got delivered today without any notice. I actually wrote Gibson a letter and put it in the case asking for no aging on the refinish but I guess they do not have time to refinish all the guitars now and are just sending out new guitars as replacements. Maybe they will refinish the returned guitars later and resell them? No idea.

calieng

Reaction score
I guess it's good Customer Service... but why not discuss it with you before sending another guitar?

:dunno:

I completely get your frustration.
I wouldn't be happy either.
Any chance you get to know what will happen to the original guitar?
No idea about my original guitar. Just guessing it will be refinished later or resold as a second. Not sure but I assume they have a lot of returned guitars to process.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
No idea about my original guitar. Just guessing it will be refinished later or resold as a second. Not sure but I assume they have a lot of returned guitars to process.
I'd be a little obsessed... lol.
I think you should have first refusal on it if it's refinished and put up for sale.
But I know it would be much to ask for.

I hope you get to enjoy the new one after the initial surprise.
:thumb:

calieng

Reaction score
I'd be a little obsessed... lol.
I think you should have first refusal on it if it's refinished and put up for sale.
But I know it would be much to ask for.

I hope you get to enjoy the new one after the initial surprise.
:thumb:
Thanks I appreciate it.

I will probably put it up for sale. It's a nice guitar but I have more than I need right now since I decided to keep most of my True Historics instead of selling those.

I am thankful that in my case the dealers took back most of the ML guitars I bought with the finish flaws for a full refund and I only got stuck with one that I have to send in for warranty repair. And Gibson sending a brand new guitar to replace one with a few finish flaws is a pretty good level of customer service. But giving the customer a little more info about the options would have been appreciated. I can only imagine they are a little overwhelmed by this situation.

danzego

Reaction score
Yes I have a contact name and email from Customer Service but only to setup the return shipping for the original guitar. I did not hear anything from them after that. The guitar just got delivered today without any notice. I actually wrote Gibson a letter and put it in the case asking for no aging on the refinish but I guess they do not have time to refinish all the guitars now and are just sending out new guitars as replacements. Maybe they will refinish the returned guitars later and resell them? No idea.
Well…I’d still try. What’s the worst that can happen? They say they can’t? I would at least voice that since it wasn’t presented to you differently, you anticipated getting your guitar back with the issue fixed, not some other guitar that is one which doesn’t fit the profile of what you enjoy. I’d state that you would like the original back with the issue fixed or at least be given the opportunity to view a candidate beforehand before it being sent out (rather than “playing the lottery” so to speak). I’d offer to take care of the shipping back to them and also the new (or refinished “old” one) back to you. I’d even mention that the one you received isn’t one you enjoy and if you can’t get this resolved, you’re just going to sell it and move on.

Again, what’s the worst that can happen? They say they can’t and you’re where you are right now. I figured they were going to tell me to take a hike when I had my issue and they accommodated my requests.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I often search "Les Paul Reissue" on Reverb and surf through literally hundreds of guitars without finding one I'd buy. The idea that Gibson thinks they could just randomly send you one, sight unseen, and expect you to be satisfied - especially at that price level - seems strange to me.

Perhaps I'm unique in that regard, but I doubt it.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup,.. i was afraid of this. Gibson has replaced guitars for less before. They should have given you an option to choose a complete build to your spec (still tone would have been hit or miss).....or a few already finished examples to pick over.

I wouldn't take whatever they sent you without any notice. Just my opinion.

calieng

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the comments. But I do not have any fight left in me for this whole Murphy Lab situation. I will just sell it. Probably get most of the money back and chalk it up to experience. I mainly just wanted to let you know what to expect if you have a similar situation.

I just got my Ace Frehley back from Historic Makeovers and have another 2015 True Historic with a killer tone on the way into them to get the neck recarve and better finish. So I am happy with what I have already. Cheers.

Latest Threads