Murphy Lab Finish Issues

Does your Murphy Lab show any issues with finish?

• Yes

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • No

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

Aero84

Reaction score
Hi all

Looking to buy an ultra light Murphy Lab aged R9. For those having one, have they been able to resolve the flaking finish issues?

Did you experience any issues?

spartacus slim

Reaction score
Hi, I’m not a ML owner, but have been following the various forum threads on the subject of the finish issues. General consensus seems to be that the more recent ML guitars don’t appear to have the dramatic blistering and flaking issues that were seen on the earlier releases.

Some have commented however that the thin, hard ML finish on even the newer guitars seems quite brittle and easy to scratch or chip off even in cases where there is no obvious defect. Whether this is a problem or a feature that makes the guitars closer to real vintage examples is a matter for debate.

If shopping for a new ML guitar, you might want to bear in mind that there are still some older examples on sale new that could have defective finish problems going forward. So it might be an idea to check the serial number and date of manufacture before making a purchase...

Hopefully some actual recent ML owners will chime in here with more definitive info for you...

mjross

Reaction score
Historic Makeovers! Just sayin…

StrategicNapping

Reaction score
I had an early Murphy Lab cherry red ES-335 that had flaking issues after a few months. I eventually got a replacement from the dealer which seemed to not have the same issue, but I sold it immediately so can’t say for sure.

john550

Reaction score
Your poll should have people include the date on their COA . It should have the finish type (level of aging ). Otherwise its useless IMHO

I have a 59 M2M (Pearly Gates ) heavy aged ML COA 6/21/21. No issues at all

Not only no issue but , out of the 20 historic reissues I have owned since / and all post 2013 , this is on another level .

Andrew1225

Reaction score
I’d wait for a couple of the 2022’s to come out and see how they are after around June-ish.

richp

Reaction score
I have an Ultra Light Aged dated late 11/21, no issues yet.

Latest Threads