Murphy Lab finish falling off?

lawrev

Reaction score
I was told by a dealer that the issue is specific to the cherry pore filler. And I can confirm that based on the 6 guitars that I returned and the 9 remaining ML guitars that I have with no issues. It seems to be only the dark cherry back guitars.

Of course issues may develop with the other guitars over time. I can only tell you what I know as of right now.

Thanks.
Thanks!

sd_guitars

Reaction score
Good to know. I have a heavy aged R0 but I’d rather not send it back, as I’ve been enjoying it… not sure what to do

amorrow

Reaction score
Jeez! Seeing these pics makes me wonder if not all cherry ones are affected by this. I’ve played mine a lot over past few months, finish stays intact scraping it with my finger nail, etc, and get no flaking.

sd_guitars

Reaction score
Jeez! Seeing these pics makes me wonder if not all cherry ones are affected by this. I’ve played mine a lot over past few months, finish stays intact scraping it with my finger nail, etc, and get no flaking.
same, mine has been fine so far and it’s a December 2020 build. Purchased at CME but I live in San Diego

calieng

Reaction score

That is good info to share. Like I said it may have just been a bad batch during certain dates. Good luck getting Gibson to provide that info or actually announcing a recall. But what I was told is that Tom has discovered what the issue was and fixed it so it sounded more like something ongoing from the beginning.

Let us know if you find out anything more.

calieng

Reaction score
Here are the serial numbers for the defect guitars that I had. I did not write down the serial for one of them that immediately returned.

9 1264
9 01152
9 01738
0 1433
0 01500

calieng

Reaction score
Hope everything works out for OP
I saw this issue during the ML launch week from the first Japanese batch. Yes some of them flake before they even leave the store.

ML ultra light aged R8
Thanks that is good info to have. I hope you do not own that one.

Pageburst

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Calieng.

Lol I think I’ll wait until I have the only ML with factory original paint. It may end up looking like John Mayer’s Black Strat. But I can deal with certain types of ugly. Then it will be a true relic not to mention a rarity. Like the upside down biplane stamp. :)

Pageburst

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
All I would need is for Slash and Pagey to play an ML with the paint chipping off. Then everyone would be convinced rhe tone is superior with the old finish and pay lots of money to have the defected pore filler used.

Gibson could then have two relic lines: original chipped relic and new improved relic. :)

boola1

Reaction score
I just wanted to post a new thread on the Murphy Lab finish issue to correct some of my past comments and in case anyone missed some info. Here's what you need to know.

1. If you have a Murphy Lab with the dark cherry pore filler like on a '59 ultra light aged then the nitro finish is not compatible with the pore filler material. If has not started flaking off it will. It is not a question of if but when. And your entire finish will come off over time for all the areas with the dark cherry pore filler. I am speaking from both info provided to me from dealers and as an engineer with materials testing background.

2. Tom Murphy has determined what the issue is and corrected it. It should not be a problem going forward. But I would be very hesitant to buy one unless the manufacture date is a few months from now. Give it some time to prove itself out.

3. This does not appear to effect any other pore filler colors. It is not an issue on any of my other guitars with dark back, light back, light cherry back, or cherry finish like my ES-335.

4. It does not appear to be due to the nitro itself, its hardness or thickness, although it may be contributing to the problem.

5. Murphy will repair your guitar but I would not accept anything less than a complete refinish. The dealers have stepped up and taken these guitars back as well. I have returned some purchased 2 months ago. If you keep them longer than that you may not be able to get a refund and may be stuck with a repair instead. I do not know how long this repair warranty will be offered.

These are just my opinions. You may be able to get better info from your dealer or Gibson.

Please let us keep this thread just for facts on this situation and let's see how things go moving forward. I still really like these guitars and will probably buy another but maybe not unitl 2022 model year.

Good luck to all and thanks for the support thru this mess.
I don't think we really needed another thread about this and these aren't facts, they are hearsay.

As I pointed out to you in another thread, your 'facts' number 1 and 2 are contradicted by the fact that the nitro is flaking off the top of this guitar.

Last edited:

calieng

Reaction score
I don't think we really needed another thread about this and these aren't facts, they are hearsay.

As I pointed out to you in another thread, your 'facts' number 1 and 2 are contradicted by the fact that the nitro is flaking off the top of this guitar.

That is not the same issue at all. Its a specific defect area or a scratch.

The facts are what info was provided to me and what can reasonably be infered from the information at hand.

Anyway you can think what you like. It really begins to seem pointless to help other people anymore. Just becomes a headache. Sort it out for yourselves.

Good luck with your defective guitar.

lawrev

Reaction score
All I would need is for Slash and Pagey to play an ML with the paint chipping off. Then everyone would be convinced rhe tone is superior with the old finish and pay lots of money to have the defected pore filler used.

Gibson could then have two relic lines: original chipped relic and new improved relic. :)
Gibson may have stumbled onto something here.....as the political saying goes, "you never let a crisis go to waste." LOL

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Murphy Lab exclusive “Super accelerated ultra aging”......your finish will flake before your eyes.... Lab techs and Professor Murphy have developed a new molecular structure that enhances the original nitro formula of the 1950’s to disintegrate in weeks rather than decades.... be the first on your block for only $15,999.99 ..... get them while they still have a finish...... Only a Murphy is good enough or my name isn’t Mark Aggyblabby.

Last edited:

framos

Reaction score
same here

framos

Reaction score
Lol I think I’ll wait until I have the only ML with factory original paint. It may end up looking like John Mayer’s Black Strat. But I can deal with certain types of ugly. Then it will be a true relic not to mention a rarity. Like the upside down biplane stamp. :)
Not the only one my friend :laugh2:

framos

Reaction score
And now comes a question: after the finish flakes, is the "exposed" wood beneath still sealed somehow? Or the problem is bigger than just funny looks?

boola1

Reaction score
funny thing is the guitar that started this whole ****storm has sold.
Probably somebody thought the same as me. Simply buy it and tell the shop to send it straight back to Gibson for a replacement under warranty. They saved >£1000 although they'll have to wait for their guitar!

boola1

Reaction score
That is not the same issue at all. Its a specific defect area or a scratch.
The description before it was sold said the lacquer was coming away along the line of one of the finish checks.

It's impossible to know if it's the same issue or not. I agree it does look like a scratch in that picture.

I'm sure Gibson will have to put out an official line eventually..

Also, my heart goes out to you and anybody else who bought one of these and has problems. I would be so gutted if I had bought THE guitar tonewise only to find that I had to return it, not knowing if I'd ever see it again.

Last edited:

Latest Threads