Murphy Lab finish falling off?

Bwk

Reaction score
Reviving an old thread as I was wondering if a production date range was ever determined for the finish issue.

efstop

I render not the posterior of a rodent
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reviving an old thread as I was wondering if a production date range was ever determined for the finish issue.
Don't know about that but the poster at the top of the previous page went out of production Feb 10 2022 :laugh2:
He had issues worse than the silly number of ML guitars he bought and returned.

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
Here is another one. This makes 3 now. This time a light aged purchased two months ago.

The rest of the collection looks fine so far. Although a little worried about the ES-335.

View attachment 544430

P.S. The finish was not lifted up like that when I got it.
I saw better finishes coming out of the Nashville flood...

Injector

Reaction score
I saw a 2022 built '64 RI es335 very lightly aged ML and the finish looked a bit suspect. It didn't exactly have longevity written all over it. There were already tiny pinhead-sized pieces of the finish that had dropped off.

Bwk

Reaction score
Went out of production?
Don't know about that but the poster at the top of the previous page went out of production Feb 10 2022 :laugh2:

Bwk

Reaction score
So I just came out of the rabbit hole I had gone down looking at the fiasco you alluded to above and got caught up on all this. Pretty wild. I’m on and off these forums inconsistently so I missed all that.

jenton70

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've owned and played an embarrassing number and the only significant flaking I've seen are the early run 2021's with dark red backs. Not saying it doesn't exist on others but mine are totally solid feeling. This whole subject might be the biggest fiasco I've seen on a guitar forum and that's really saying something. I think calieng and his other issues added fuel to the fire. Don't be afraid of ML guitars, they're some of the nicest CS guitars I've had.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
This is a Murphy Lab SG that flaked off and was for sale in Canada, 2021, I think. Kind of surprised to see this on a blue guitar because I thought it was limited to cherry backs.
D9B3F8CE-DEAD-42FC-959D-223A89411D59.jpeg

Bwk

Reaction score
I've owned and played an embarrassing number and the only significant flaking I've seen are the early run 2021's with dark red backs. Not saying it doesn't exist on others but mine are totally solid feeling. This whole subject might be the biggest fiasco I've seen on a guitar forum and that's really saying something. I think calieng and his other issues added fuel to the fire. Don't be afraid of ML guitars, they're some of the nicest CS guitars I've had.

Thank you!I love the Murphy Lab guitars. I had an issue with one, but everything else has been top notch. I was just curious if they ever honed in on a date range for the finish issues. I bought a new one recently and was really surprised it had an April 2021 production date. I actually called the retailer, who I know well, and they took possession of the guitar June of this year. They wondered if the guitar was held out for some reason (finishing perhaps?) At any rate, I was just curious. Also, after reading through the thread and the OP’s Stratocaster mess, it does have me wondering how much of this was exaggerated. Not saying there weren’t problems, but I have seen nowhere near the level of issues he had on his guitars

Last edited:

billyhandyjunior

Reaction score
#poserlab

All joking aside….I love the look of the heavily aged ML’s. Some of them totally nail that over the top fake aged look that basically no vintage Gibson looks like.

Ok…seriously though. I honestly do think some of them are very cool. Others are a bit over the top. Either way…Gibson is still the coolest guitar company on the planet. It’s not easy trying to reinvent the same thing year after year to keep us coming back.

I have one of the first 1981 Candy Apple Red Les Paul Customs with the gold undercoat. Major finish issues with that run. In 1982 they switched to the silver undercoat and the problem was solved.

I’m confident Gibson will figure this out.

The Murphy Lab’s are totally rad in my opinion.

All joking aside.

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
#poserlab

All joking aside….I love the look of the heavily aged ML’s. Some of them totally nail that over the top fake aged look that basically no vintage Gibson looks like.

Ok…seriously though. I honestly do think some of them are very cool. Others are a bit over the top. Either way…Gibson is still the coolest guitar company on the planet. It’s not easy trying to reinvent the same thing year after year to keep us coming back.

I have one of the first 1981 Candy Apple Red Les Paul Customs with the gold undercoat. Major finish issues with that run. In 1982 they switched to the silver undercoat and the problem was solved.

I’m confident Gibson will figure this out.

The Murphy Lab’s are totally rad in my opinion.

All joking aside.
They all have one element that bugs the shit of me..... all the plastics and hardware still looks new....a little patina doesn't match the heavy aging they do to these. Shrunken tuner buttons and aged plastics would be a nice touch......like Robert Plant said in some Led Zeppelin song...." when you fake it... mama...... please fake it right......."

( "For Your Life" Presence)

Bwk

Reaction score
It’s weird because I’ve seen examples where the tuner knobs have aging. On others they look newer and oddly out of place compared to the relic work on the body.

Torshalla

Reaction score
I believe they have solved the die issue that was reported at launch for some models.
However as Tom and Gibson have said the special nitro is designed to age faster… as a result if you put your guitar through a lot of playing, particularly if you wear a bealt or bracelets, it will wear faster than the regular or older finish…

Torshalla

Reaction score
It’s weird because I’ve seen examples where the tuner knobs have aging. On others they look newer and oddly out of place compared to the relic work on the body.

Artist models seem to get the full treatment at least…

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
my r8 is an anomaly in that regard the hardware and plastics are aged in places. well when i say aged the tuner pegs are darker than the usual ones fitted and the bridge posts are rusty.

08FC136A-AC1F-4FD6-BEA9-AD62E594C8B9.jpeg

535A7A1B-2F08-4AAC-B581-2BDE069AD25B.jpeg

Last edited:

Haprom

Miserable Bastard
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had more than a few murphy lab guitars,,, Never had one Fucking issue...

Latest Threads