Murphy Lab finish falling off?

Big Monk

They call me Derek. Formerly EpiLP1985
Reaction score
After 20 years of experimenting with experimental relicing techniques, one does not have enough experience to know what happens to the relics after 40 years.

A relic'd guitar is not an aged guitar - it's brand new. A stone washed, ripped pair of jeans is not a worn pair of jeans - it is a brand new pair of jeans that's been ripped and stone washed. But after being worn it will actually wear and age. A relic'd guitar is also a brand new product that will eventually age. It's experimental, we don't know what the effect of time and actual wear and tear will produce in due time. We'll have to wait and see. Some of it we're already seeing. No surprise. Expecting that a relic'd guitar would stay as is for any extended period of time would be like expecting stone washed jeans to stay the same forever.

There is a short term objective and a long term objective.

Tom met his short term objective - he got paid handsomely for his creativity and hard work. That is admirable.

The buyers fulfilled their short term objective - they got their relic'd guitars.

Meeting a short term objective is like enjoying an exciting ride in an amusement park.

If there was a long term objective, that these relic'd guitars would stay the same forever, then we have to have a reality check.

A relic'd guitar is a fake. Like a counterfeit, it just has to last long enough to be sold. What happens after is no longer of any concern to the seller. The seller can always blame it on the buyer by saying the buyer didn't take proper care of it. The seller can alway say, it's a relic, it's fragile and if you want it to reamain intact it has to be kept in a humidity and temperature controlled environment.

The second law of Thermodynamics states that the state of entropy (i.e. disorder) of the entire universe (including relic'd guitars) will always increase over time. The second law also states that the changes in the entropy in the universe can never be negative. In other words, the direction of natural processes runs only in one sense, and is not reversible (and can't be brought to a standstill).

Disorder increases with time. Wishful thinking can't stop that.

“I’ll have what he’s smoking.” :slash:

Adinol

Reaction score
Looking at your avatar... it seems your headstock is broken. Just saying.

Witty comment.

Imagine what one could say about your avatar.

Regarding my avatar... I repair guitars. When I get one with a broken headstock this is what I do.

dscn7033-jpeg.549571

See thread here:
Repair of a previously botched headstock repair

If you ever breaks yours, you know where to sends it for repairs it.

Or perhaps we can break off your headstock together, so that I can do a repair, so you;ll end up with a genuine relic.

Peace!

Last edited:

Adinol

Reaction score
“I’ll have what he’s smoking.” :slash:

Nothing as strong as those who spend thousands of dollars on deliberately damaged guitars (with most of them poorly executed, while they don't even have a decently cut nut).

MCT

Reaction score
The second law of Thermodynamics states that the state of entropy (i.e. disorder) of the entire universe (including relic'd guitars) will always increase over time. The second law also states that the changes in the entropy in the universe can never be negative. In other words, the direction of natural processes runs only in one sense, and is not reversible (and can't be brought to a standstill).

Nice job ignoring the whole issue of closed vs open systems, and which the Second Law of Thermodynamics applies to. Can we also invoke it to explain why threads like this go off the rails?

I’m waiting for someone to raise this guy an explanation involving the law of gravity.

Last edited:

Big Monk

They call me Derek. Formerly EpiLP1985
Reaction score
Nothing as strong as those who spend thousands of dollars on deliberately damaged guitars (with most of them poorly executed, while they don't even have a decently cut nut).

Me and Enrico are over here so high we didn’t hear a word you just said.

MCT

Reaction score
A relic'd guitar is a fake. Like a counterfeit, it just has to last long enough to be sold. What happens after is no longer of any concern to the seller. The seller can always blame it on the buyer by saying the buyer didn't take proper care of it. The seller can alway say, it's a relic, it's fragile and if you want it to reamain intact it has to be kept in a humidity and temperature controlled environment.

Let me make sure I’m understanding you. By your logic, a reclic’d guitar whose neck breaks off due to poor glue application is somehow not the manufacturer’s fault?

Seems to me like you’re suggesting there’s two manufacturing standards here- one for new guitars, one for relic’d guitars (which you seem to not care for).

Last edited:

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great now Gibson will come out with a Fermi Lab Les Paul "With Entropy Increasing Finsih"

Don't give them any more ideas - let them make their mistakes on their own....

Already done... The Zoots...

1634393757013.png
1634393822051.png

Not sure where they buried the dipshit that came up with those... Maybe under a parking lot somewhere...

calieng

Banned
Reaction score
Getting back on topic.......

There is no certainty of where exactly the finish chip is on a Murphy Lab guitar. It is just a probability field of nitro and there is no certainty that the chip actually exists until it is observed......

By the way we are all just living in a simulation....sorry to break the news to you.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same as it never was... or not...

CivoLee

Reaction score
How ironic it would be if it's discovered that artificially aged instruments end up looking worse than naturally aged ones after 40 years of use...

Kind of like the difference between a natural bust and silicone spheroids

calieng

Banned
Reaction score
How ironic it would be if it's discovered that artificially aged instruments end up looking worse than naturally aged ones after 40 years of use...

Kind of like the difference between a natural bust and silicone spheroids

I can report that my ML Ultra Light aged with the "good" finish is chipping like a mofo. Just a couple hours of use and looks like a guitar 5 years old.

I think we have to measure ML finishes in dog years?

CivoLee

Reaction score
I can report that my ML Ultra Light aged with the "good" finish is chipping like a mofo. Just a couple hours of use and looks like a guitar 5 years old.

Prime candidates for refins in a decade or two, likely

Torshalla

Reaction score
Here is a 56 the Lab may have based its aging on… sorry, could not resist it when i saw that add

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

I just read your reply to my earlier post, food for thought, I do really like the guitar, and really do not want another VOS. I am now considering the options about what to do, A bit like you this is my own fault, as like you I sold my collection last year with intention of popping over the pond and picking up a real fifities goldtop, but then I went off book (i.e. fucking mental) and blew the lot on 4 murphy labs, one of which i returned.

As to your above post, Oh boy, so somethings really amiss then, I wonder if the issue is as simple as the pore filler is a modern formula, which because of various laws governing certain compounds being banned means its simply not correct filler for this uncat lacquer. I do now wonder if it was a light aged when left factory and the heavy aged happened in transit, lordybe. One does wonder what future value will be of these. Probably in line with Shib.

Last edited:

Gold Tone

Reaction score
Witty comment.

Imagine what one could say about your avatar.

Regarding my avatar... I repair guitars. When I get one with a broken headstock this is what I do.

dscn7033-jpeg.549571

See thread here:
Repair of a previously botched headstock repair

If you ever breaks yours, you know where to sends it for repairs it.

Or perhaps we can break off your headstock together, so that I can do a repair, so you;ll end up with a genuine relic.

Peace!

No thanks! Gees that’s an extreme repair. I’ll take the properly glued together crack with refin in that area to blend into old finish. Invisible and just as solid as no break

Not interested in turning guitar into a Chibson with a scarf joint

Extreme luthiery!!

Last edited:

scrumm21

Reaction score
Nice job ignoring the whole issue of closed vs open systems, and which the Second Law of Thermodynamics applies to. Can we also invoke it to explain why threads like this go off the rails?

I’m waiting for someone to raise this guy an explanation involving the law of gravity.

well, i do know that Gravity is responsible for 99% of all headstock breaks

Gravity must be a Hater............a phobic............. something..........

let's protest gravity

MCT

Reaction score
well, i do know that Gravity is responsible for 99% of all headstock breaks

Gravity must be a Hater............a phobic............. something..........

let's protest gravity
As Thom Yorke once said - it always wins

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gravity is constantly a bitch...

Latest Threads