Murphy Lab finish falling off?

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If my 58 lost all the back I'd not want it swnt back to Gibson as I too feel its 'the one' in as far as that means anything. I'd probably just get a good spray guy to clear coat with uncat lac.

calieng

Reaction score
If my 58 lost all the back I'd not want it swnt back to Gibson as I too feel its 'the one' in as far as that means anything. I'd probably just get a good spray guy to clear coat with uncat lac.

I just cannot understand that. I would not want to keep a defective guitar even if it sounds nice. There will always be another nice one to come along. After owning many Les Pauls I never found one that I just had to keep. I always thought one sounded really nice until another one came along later that sounded even better.

The used Murphy Labs have pretty sketchy resale value already due to no warranty to the second owner. Try selling it later with no finish on it.

Sorry but anyone keeping a defective finish guitar needs to rethink that decision. Gibson is chopping up most of them because they cannot be repaired.

Last edited:

Adinol

Reaction score
After 20 years of aging I though Tom knew what he was doing.
After 20 years of experimenting with experimental relicing techniques, one does not have enough experience to know what happens to the relics after 40 years.

A relic'd guitar is not an aged guitar - it's brand new. A stone washed, ripped pair of jeans is not a worn pair of jeans - it is a brand new pair of jeans that's been ripped and stone washed. But after being worn it will actually wear and age. A relic'd guitar is also a brand new product that will eventually age. It's experimental, we don't know what the effect of time and actual wear and tear will produce in due time. We'll have to wait and see. Some of it we're already seeing. No surprise. Expecting that a relic'd guitar would stay as is for any extended period of time would be like expecting stone washed jeans to stay the same forever.

There is a short term objective and a long term objective.

Tom met his short term objective - he got paid handsomely for his creativity and hard work. That is admirable.

The buyers fulfilled their short term objective - they got their relic'd guitars.

Meeting a short term objective is like enjoying an exciting ride in an amusement park.

If there was a long term objective, that these relic'd guitars would stay the same forever, then we have to have a reality check.

A relic'd guitar is a fake. Like a counterfeit, it just has to last long enough to be sold. What happens after is no longer of any concern to the seller. The seller can always blame it on the buyer by saying the buyer didn't take proper care of it. The seller can alway say, it's a relic, it's fragile and if you want it to reamain intact it has to be kept in a humidity and temperature controlled environment.

The second law of Thermodynamics states that the state of entropy (i.e. disorder) of the entire universe (including relic'd guitars) will always increase over time. The second law also states that the changes in the entropy in the universe can never be negative. In other words, the direction of natural processes runs only in one sense, and is not reversible (and can't be brought to a standstill).

Disorder increases with time. Wishful thinking can't stop that.

Spambot

Reaction score
I just cannot understand that. I would not want to keep a defective guitar even if it sounds nice. There will always be another nice one to come along. After owning many Les Pauls I never found one that I just had to keep. I always thought one sounded really nice until another one came along later that sounded even better.

The used Murphy Labs have pretty sketchy resale value already due to no warranty to the second owner. Try selling it later with no finish on it.

Sorry but anyone keeping a defective finish guitar needs to rethink that decision. Gibson is chopping up most of them because they cannot be repaired.
I understand falling in love with a guitar (flaws and all) but this response really nails the issue. If this were a low-value or vintage model with an established resale, maybe it’s worth just keeping a guitar you know makes you happy. But on these extremely expensive Murphy’s? That’s like paying full price for a dinged car that might depreciate down like a stone; lot of risk

spartacus slim

Reaction score
But on these extremely expensive Murphy’s? That’s like paying full price for a dinged car that might depreciate down like a stone; lot of risk
And the price premium on new ML guitars is in relation to the special finish and ageing, so when that special finish starts flaking off...
:(

calieng

Reaction score
Nah. That's Gibson's next idea to sell more reissues a few years from now. Ultra, ultra heavy aged.
You know what would sell like hotcakes?

Factory burst with nice flame top, Brazilian board, non-plasticized finish, non-aged. I would pay them extra not to age or fade the finish. That way maybe the guitar might actually last more than a few weeks....

That should be Gibsons Ultra Uber Mega Real True Historic '59 for 2022 model.

Kind of like this.......

Hague.png

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You know what would sell like hotcakes?

Factory burst with nice flame top, Brazilian board, non-plasticized finish, non-aged. I would pay them extra not to age or fade the finish. That way maybe the guitar might actually last more than a few weeks....

That should be Gibsons Ultra Uber Mega Real True Historic '59 for 2022 model.

Kind of like this.......

View attachment 565830
Have you received that one yet? Did I miss your NGD post? So eager to see how it turned out!

calieng

Reaction score
Have you received that one yet? Did I miss your NGD post? So eager to see how it turned out!
It is on the way by Fedex and arriving Tuesday next week.

Steve has had some health issues again lately so the delay was very understandable. Anyone else who knows him may know a little better than me about his situation.

It never hurts to say a prayer for a person who is not doing well if you feel up to that...even if you do not know him. That's all I can say about it.

Last edited:

DanD

Reaction score
Fender does a CS line they call 'Relic Ready' which uses an extremely thin finish coat.

I agree that Gibson is leaving money on the table by not offering an equivalent.

I'd buy into that too. With the thinner finish it will age quickly and the wear would be real and mine,

TheWelder

Reaction score
The 'to relic or not to relic' debate has been rehashed and beaten to death on guitar forums since guitar forums have existed. Despite pages and pages of threads on this subject, this is very likely the first time the second law of Thermodynamics has been brought into the argument.

In that respect, well done on bringing something new to the discussion.

lawrev

Reaction score
I have a 3 month old Ultra Light Aged 1963 SG Special in Classic White that looks like butter (creme). Lots of finish checking and it really does look nice. I guess this color hasn't had the peeling issue, but nonetheless I am looking forward to seeing what it is like in one year. All of these Murphy Labs....it will be interesting.

calieng

Reaction score
The 'to relic or not to relic' debate has been rehashed and beaten to death on guitar forums since guitar forums have existed. Despite pages and pages of threads on this subject, this is very likely the first time the second law of Thermodynamics has been brought into the argument.

In that respect, well done on bringing something new to the discussion.
...too bad Gibson is actualy decreasing the entropy of the universe by building guitars....somebody needs to watch a little more PBS before they get all preachy about it.

:)

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Half the MFs here can’t spell Thermodynamics.

Enrico Fermi is rolling in his grave.

Last edited:

calieng

Reaction score
Half the MFs here can’t spell Thermodynamics.

Enrico Fermi is rolling in his grave.

Great now Gibson will come out with a Fermi Lab Les Paul "With Entropy Increasing Finsih"

Don't give them any more ideas - let them make their mistakes on their own....

Latest Threads