Murphy Lab finish falling off?

Bwk

Reaction score
What can I do it was my own stupidity for buying that many. After 20 years of aging I though Tom knew what he was doing.

My '58 urine burst has a light cherry back but there are some initial signs of finish edges lifting up and also on the heavy aged green lemon '59 from Willcutts some small pieces of finish already came off but it is heavy aged so just waiting that one out to see how bad it gets. It had a brown-cherry color back so I thought it might be ok...but maybe not.

Well at least I hope some others avoided my problems by reading these posts before buying one.
Man this is really discouraging. So in my case, the retailer had asked me to go to Gibson. I had a return set up. The retailer happened to call me back a few days later to see what Gibson was going to do and decided to help me out and offered to take the guitar. They felt they could take care of this quicker than Gibson could. Gibson really couldn’t give me an answer. The guitar would have to be evaluated for a swap or refinish. That’s all they would tell me. I spoke to two separate people. One was trying to get me info and the other was a massive condescending a$$hole that acted coy about any Murphy Lab issues. He acted offended when I asked what was being done with other guitars. At any rate, the retailer is holding a green lemon fade heavy aged for me to swap. He said the guitar is killer and I thought I was safe from the cherry filler or whatever. At any rate, I’m not sure what to do now after seeing this. Frustrating for sure, but the retailer has gone above and beyond to help me out and that is appreciated.

Last edited:

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a few VOS LP Historics and I recently found a long lost (half full) pack of single edge razor blades. I'm going to try to do the early TM razor blade checking. I've seen numerous close up pics. I mean, how hard can it be?

Wish me luck.
Oh man! I screwed up. I started in with the razor blade and my Parkinson's kicked in.

Anybody know of a good guitar re finisher?

DanD

Reaction score
This problem of paint popping off baffles me.

Does Gibson not know they can prep wood with oxalic acid to open the wood pores to greatly increase paint adherence?
My Fender Closet Classic came to me with a good chunk of finish in the case. I glued it back in place only to find another chunk missing in a different edge...

It was 'aged! With compressed air and has the same spider web checking as many of the MLS.

My best guess is that the cold treatment is shrinking the finish at such a fast rate that the finish loses adhesion with the wood.

I'll never buy another guitar aged with compressed air.

kewl kat

Reaction score
Man this is really discouraging. So in my case, the retailer had asked me to go to Gibson. I had a return set up. The retailer happened to call me back a few days later to see what Gibson was going to do and decided to help me out and offered to take the guitar. They felt they could take care of this quicker than Gibson could. Gibson really couldn’t give me an answer. The guitar would have to be evaluated for a swap or refinish.
Be careful what you wish for here. Not sure the dealer, though he may have the best of intentions, is doing you any favor with a heavily aged. Maybe consider a VOS or Gloss, as someone else suggested. The last thing that you want to do is inherit another problem, which very likely the dealer would not be nearly as willing to take back a second time. Or, if you have your heart set on an aged, maybe get a refund, and wait this tumultuous period out, if it can be waited out. Best of luck either way.

Reactions: Bwk

Bwk

Reaction score
Be careful what you wish for here. Not sure the dealer, though he may have the best of intentions, is doing you any favor with a heavily aged. Maybe consider a VOS or Gloss, as someone else suggested. The last thing that you want to do is inherit another problem, which very likely the dealer would not be nearly as willing to take back a second time. Or, if you have your heart set on an aged, maybe get a refund, and wait this tumultuous period out, if it can be waited out. Best of luck either way.
Appreciate that. Yes, I’m going to have to rethink this a bit. They are swapping for store credit so I don’t have to do anything at the moment. I already have a VOS guitar, but really got smitten with the Murphy Labs. I really liked the one I’m returning too. At any rate, I thought I’d be safe with a different finish, but that obviously isn’t the case, so sitting on the sidelines for a bit is probably the prudent decision.

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
You can clearly see it's the pore filler, where the finish flaked it looks like there is a layer of purple-ish powder. No wonder the laquer isn't sticking when you're spraying over a powdery, grainy surface.

Great R8

Reaction score
Honestly, finish checking is the easiest thing to get, all may guitars have/had it just by sitting there for a few years, doesn't take that long. All this risk buying expensive Murphy Lab finishes just to have the finish fall off when you can just wait at least 5 years! In that time you might also have other natural relicing marks. So what else is there to MF LP's, better quality wood?

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly, finish checking is the easiest thing to get, all may guitars have/had it just by sitting there for a few years, doesn't take that long. All this risk buying expensive Murphy Lab finishes just to have the finish fall off when you can just wait at least 5 years! In that time you might also have other natural relicing marks. So what else is there to MF LP's, better quality wood?
Nothings been said about wood selection. I think they are just picked off the line and painted with the new lacquer before aging. I think they maybe(?) have more experienced staff on working them, as the three I have are exceptionally well built. Or maybe its the newer CS line workers are now upto speed, they feel as good as my previously owned custom shops, like the 2013 R9 and my even older murphy aged page number one.

The things a lot of people complained about recently like binding ledges and masking bleed (as opposed to aniline dye bleed) are non existent. No orange peel evident in finish either. Everything centred that should be centred. Necks straight, great looking rosewood, and all are on the lighter end of the weights. Mine are between 8lb 6oz and 8lb 8oz.

Personally, as i have mentioned before, i could pass on the aging, but its not an option. I have asked about and considered a HM type guitar, but there were a lot of issues with that as an option for me, the cost being the main one, which on top of original guitars price would never be recouped if one had to sell for any reason. So the murphy lab was a timely launch for me, i get a more like the original lacquer, (which i am realistic about knowing it will not ever be 100% correct) but is close enough for me. Sure, a brazzlian rosewood fretboard would be perfect, but chances of that ever being available outside the USA are slim to non.

I think the numbers of affected guitars is not huge, unfortunately though Calieng bought a lot at once by the sounds and hit that batch.

Reactions: Bwk

soyboi

Reaction score
I personally love reliced guitars. My fender CS relic job is amazing. But, it seems that there are more original 59’s out there in amazing condition than there are reliced ones.

kewl kat

Reaction score
Appreciate that. Yes, I’m going to have to rethink this a bit. They are swapping for store credit so I don’t have to do anything at the moment. I already have a VOS guitar, but really got smitten with the Murphy Labs. I really liked the one I’m returning too. At any rate, I thought I’d be safe with a different finish, but that obviously isn’t the case, so sitting on the sidelines for a bit is probably the prudent decision.

Not sure how you feel about that but it does not seem entirely fair to offer in store credit only if that is not what you desire. Personally, I hate feeling pressured to do something. Sitting on the sidelines with someone else holding a pretty large chunk of my funds from a major purchase until I decide to do a next purchase to get even feels just like that.

Maybe this is just me, but I would let them know I am not ready and am unsure when I am going to make my next purchase so I would prefer a full refund instead of store credit. That I was going after a specific Gibson product, they seem to have issues with, so it is indefinitely on hold.

They have the guitar back, so obviously they are either going to sell it to someone else, or return it to Gibson for a refund, and either way they have their money. In this world anything can happen, and that retailer just might not be there one day. I would get my funds back.

Of course it's your call, either way. :cheers:

tonymopar426

Reaction score
I have 91312. And I noticed as I play it that the bottom started to chip away. I play it often, and as the months went by I noticed that more paint chips would be missing. Note, I have been playing this guitar in my bedroom. So there is no chance of it banging into things. The paint is just falling away at the paint crack points. Well I was going to send it back but Gibson said they might just replace it. Yikes. I love this thing. Second option was to get touch up paint for the mahogany.
I thing this option would not work as if I fix one chip another might form somewhere else.

I took option number 3. I saw some pictures of original not mint bursts, took my finger nail, and scrapped away the weak paint. All I can say is that this brittle paint was made to continue to ‘relic’. Because by the time I was done this thing looks like the aged, heavy aged version! I was impressed. I also made the accidental scratch of course. Not on purpose but it gives it that added character.

this guitar was to nice to return. And now she does look well used and not just aged and put away. The rest of the paint so far has held up. Will it hold in the future. I don’t know, but she isn’t going anywhere regardless. Tom Murphy eat your heart out.

Clint

Reaction score
I have 91312. And I noticed as I play it that the bottom started to chip away. I play it often, and as the months went by I noticed that more paint chips would be missing. Note, I have been playing this guitar in my bedroom. So there is no chance of it banging into things. The paint is just falling away at the paint crack points. Well I was going to send it back but Gibson said they might just replace it. Yikes. I love this thing. Second option was to get touch up paint for the mahogany.
I thing this option would not work as if I fix one chip another might form somewhere else.

I took option number 3. I saw some pictures of original not mint bursts, took my finger nail, and scrapped away the weak paint. All I can say is that this brittle paint was made to continue to ‘relic’. Because by the time I was done this thing looks like the aged, heavy aged version! I was impressed. I also made the accidental scratch of course. Not on purpose but it gives it that added character.

this guitar was to nice to return. And now she does look well used and not just aged and put away. The rest of the paint so far has held up. Will it hold in the future. I don’t know, but she isn’t going anywhere regardless. Tom Murphy eat your heart out.
Would be interesting to see a before and after pic. At the end of the day what matters is how you feel about it so glad you found a solution.

Last edited:

calieng

Reaction score

You do understand that ALL the finish over the cherry color areas will come off in time?

If a defective pore filler is uniformily applied over the same wood and it starts to come off then it will eventually come off over the entire area. The areas that start first are the cracks where air and moisture can penetrate. As the nitro finish flakes off more areas of wood get exposed to air and moisture and the problem continues...

This is not an issue like in the past where a little bit of saw dust or glue residue was missed and a small spot of finish comes off in just one location. The entire finish is defective.

Last edited:

tonymopar426

Reaction score
This is pretty brittle paint to be sure. I think the situation with mine might be that I play the crap out of it. Those odd chips here and there were driving me crazy. Lol. And if the finish were to come completely off so be it.

calieng

Reaction score
This is pretty brittle paint to be sure. I think the situation with mine might be that I play the crap out of it. Those odd chips here and there were driving me crazy. Lol. And if the finish were to come completely off so be it.
No the situation is that a defective cherry pore filler was used.

But whether you decide to do any warranty repair is completely up to you.

I am sure you will still have some time to use that option if it gets worse within the next year or so.

Latest Threads