Murphy Lab finish falling off?

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
man, not another one, you must be beyond pissed about this whole debacle. My goldtops are still ok as is the R8, although the lacquer on that feels noticeably thinner than on the GT's so not sure what that means long term.

calieng

Reaction score
man, not another one, you must be beyond pissed about this whole debacle. My goldtops are still ok as is the R8, although the lacquer on that feels noticeably thinner than on the GT's so not sure what that means long term.

What can I do it was my own stupidity for buying that many. After 20 years of aging I though Tom knew what he was doing.

My '58 urine burst has a light cherry back but there are some initial signs of finish edges lifting up and also on the heavy aged green lemon '59 from Willcutts some small pieces of finish already came off but it is heavy aged so just waiting that one out to see how bad it gets. It had a brown-cherry color back so I thought it might be ok...but maybe not.

Well at least I hope some others avoided my problems by reading these posts before buying one.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'm keeping an eye on the R8 i have front and back pics from when the retailer first got it. everything still there. So fingers crossed its not going the happen. but, I've not had it as long as you have had yours.

kewl kat

Reaction score
Anyone guess what will happen to the returns that eventually end up at the Gibson factory? Or, after a few inspections, are they just going to head straight to the rubbish heap? If you multiply 7-9K per guitar, with what certainly appears now to be in the hundreds being eventually returned, you are looking at millions of dollars of lost revenue. And a lot of headaches and hassle.

This looks now like a classic case of demand outstripping supply, and what regrettably happens in some instances afterwards. A likely guess is that demand is dozen(s) or more greater than when they originally started doing this, given how quickly like wildfire relics have caught on, with several major guitar makers, not just Gibson.

Certainly there are going to have to be changes at ML. You cannot have this much dollar wise in damaged goods being returned without any repercussions. Yet I am equally certain that the current and future demand will only grow given the trend. Interesting times we live in.

Hopefully Gibson gets a handle on this before the general public is broadly aware, and their reputation gets duly tarnished. And lets hope that there is not just so much demand that this continues to get brushed under the carpet. Will certainly be looking for Gibson news on this.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well demand maybe quietening, of the UK retailers who stocked them , all but one has pretty much sold through their stock. The one that hasn't has about 30 in stock. Now thats a lot of dollar.

calieng

Reaction score
Well demand maybe quietening, of the UK retailers who stocked them , all but one has pretty much sold through their stock. The one that hasn't has about 30 in stock. Now thats a lot of dollar.

I wonder how long it will take Gibson to refinish the guitar? I was lucky to have been able to return all the previous ones for a refund. If they have hundreds lined up for refinish it might take a while.

decoy205

Reaction score
Sucks about this. I feel like aging a guitar right is an artistic process. It doesn’t really work when you try and crank them out at scale. The reason why the old Muphys and Dave Johnson guitars are so valuable is because of the attention to detail. Good luck to anyone who has a defective one. I hope you get it sorted.

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a few VOS LP Historics and I recently found a long lost (half full) pack of single edge razor blades. I'm going to try to do the early TM razor blade checking. I've seen numerous close up pics. I mean, how hard can it be?

Wish me luck.

lawrev

Reaction score
Has anybody heard about finish problems with the single cut TV Yellow or the double cut Black Juniors? From the discussion it would seem that the problem wouldn't apply to those ML models.

Subterfuge

Reaction score
I have a few VOS LP Historics and I recently found a long lost (half full) pack of single edge razor blades. I'm going to try to do the early TM razor blade checking. I've seen numerous close up pics. I mean, how hard can it be?

Wish me luck.
on my 2017 R8 the sides and back are soft and gooey but the top was hard as glass and the lacquer just shattered like glass when I drew a tiny line with a 0.004" razor blade ... so to answer the question, how hard can it be?? ... it's very hard. Good Luck ....

Zylo

Reaction score
i dont get it.....i thought paying premium to make a guitar look battered and damaged was part of the deal..
so now its looking battered and damage, you dont like it?

DanD

Reaction score
on my 2017 R8 the sides and back are soft and gooey but the top was hard as glass and the lacquer just shattered like glass when I drew a tiny line with a 0.004" razor blade ... so to answer the question, how hard can it be?? ... it's very hard. Good Luck ....
How bout a pic?

kewl kat

Reaction score
Here's a pic for ya - A Murphy Aged 2018 Historic Gold Top. Is this the way the are supposed to look out of the box?....on the Front Side!

Murphy Aged Historic Gold Top.JPG

Subterfuge

Reaction score
How bout a pic?
I would love to send a pic but this dumbing down of the photos from 5K to 2K or whatever it is, in order to post is tiresome to say the least, if you would like to PM me with an e-mail address I would be happy to oblige with plenty of hi-res photos ....

Latest Threads