Murphy Lab finish falling off?

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
And, so no no one in the Gibson camp or otherwise thinks I have a problem with them making ML or aged guitars, to the contrary. They are just fitting a desired nitch. When I stated in another post that ML's were like a snake that you picked up, I simply meant that you know what you are getting when you buy a reliced guitar. They are purposefully aging them 60 plus years in a week or so's time, so I think that finish issues should be expected as the norm, and not an anomoly, going forward. To surmise that Gibson is going to be financially able to, or willing to, take all these back under warranty work is unrealistic. I love the company, and the guitars they make, and have no knock on any of their products, including ML, though I don't own one.

7AD5DA9B-3497-4442-A0A5-F62FC961008E.jpeg

Nathan:

“What do you do if your business has a snake Mimsy?”

I’m sorry.... I just find this extremely funny :rofl:

(South Park Handicar episode)

Last edited:

calieng

Reaction score
Finish flaked off in a couple small spots in the cherry back on my Heavy Aged R0. I called Gibson and they said they hadn't heard of the issue but they'll take it in and have their techs take a look. Not sure if I'll try to give it back to CME or go down the rabbit hole of a warranty return
Unfortuantely you got sold a bunch of BS. Some of my returns were guitars made in 2020 over 6 months ago so I am sure they know about this and likely have known for a while. Get a full refund and buy something nicer later this year if you want my advice.

You should understand that only a complete refinish with actually fix this problem. Once the finish starts coming off air and moisture start getting underneath the remaining finish and the problem accelerates. This is not like a regular finish. There is a barrier of solids from the pore filler preventing the nitro from adhering. A few touch ups do not fix it.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Neffco

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe Gibson will poly the cracked and chipping finished guitars as a warranty fix? The finish will be forever entombed under the glorious and durable poly for generations.

fretboarder

Reaction score
Why don’t you post some pictures of your guitars rather then criticizing guitars owned by other people.

You’d be surprised how much more enjoyable life can be when you are positive and grateful for what you have. Negative unconstructive posts like this are really unnecessary.
HAHAHAHAH if you say so.. all this murphy lab bollox makes me laugh my back off.. also i enjoy my life very much i dont need to post my gear on a guitar forum to feel better.. ;-)

Pageburst

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
HAHAHAHAH if you say so.. all this murphy lab bollox makes me laugh my back off.. also i enjoy my life very much i dont need to post my gear on a guitar forum to feel better.. ;-)
Interesting, you don’t want to share about your gear on a guitar forum but rather take the time to post your delight at other peoples misfortune. What does that say about you?

Kinda like going to the high rent district in your neighborhood where there are these high end, majestic houses and laughing because there is a paint defect. Unfortunately, that defect won’t make your little house any nicer.

Like I said, being positive and grateful for your own life will be far more rewarding than laughing at and posting gleeful remarks about an unfortunate situation for Gibson, many independent dealers and a number of forum members here on mylespaul.

Last edited:

Blues Bird

Reaction score
Interesting, you don’t want to share about your gear on a guitar forum but rather take the time to post your delight at other peoples misfortune. What does that say about you?

Kinda like going to the high rent district in your neighborhood where there are these high end, majestic houses and laughing because there is a paint defect. Unfortunately, that defect won’t make your little house any nicer.

Like I said, being positive and grateful for your own life will be far more rewarding than laughing at and posting gleeful remarks about an unfortunate situation for Gibson, many independent dealers and a number of forum members here on mylespaul.
Don‘t even bother. Guy is a nut job.

sixstringer99

Reaction score
And Gibson asks a premium for the Murphy Slab guitars. I just bought a new Reissue '57 Custom Shop Custom, and I am glad that I went with the VOS. No problems with my finish.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
my three murphy lab guitars are all rather good, not 'shite' like fretboarder alleges, although he has offered zero experience of them to back up that statement.

its funny that he thinks posting on a guitar forum about ones guitars is weird? or a desperate cry for attention?, of course its to make us feel good, thats the point of the damned things. (forums and guitars).

I play mine at least two hours a day. Am i jimmy page? not a 'kin chance, but i love playing, and will continue to do so.

fretboarder

Reaction score

Im not poking fun at anyones guitars(the op was at a dealer) but rather the murphy lab finish stuff, ive had a few of these guitars in my hands now they play and sound great but the finishes do flake off in your fingers,now that is complete bull IMO..ive posted bits of gear on this forum for years,, happy now???

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im not poking fun at anyones guitars(the op was at a dealer) but rather the murphy lab finish stuff, ive had a few of these guitars in my hands now they play and sound great but the finishes do flake off in your fingers,now that is complete bull IMO..ive posted bits of gear on this forum for years,, happy now???
Yeah man, i am happy, you appeared a tad salty with that initial post, good to read you're not though. I went a bit mental buying three, after selling three similar ones to free up cash. But if i kept the money as cash it would only get wasted on stuff i don't need. At least with guitars in 10 years i can sell one if cash needed.

fretboarder

Reaction score
Yeah man, i am happy, you appeared a tad salty with that initial post, good to read you're not though. I went a bit mental buying three, after selling three similar ones to free up cash. But if i kept the money as cash it would only get wasted on stuff i don't need. At least with guitars in 10 years i can sell one if cash needed.
Sorry about that it was just a off hand comment not intended to piss anyone off just a dig at murphy really for his flakey finishes that have caught people with paying 1000s ontop..hopefully hel fix anyones guitar and this stuff will end..yeah id rather have something i can play and enjoy rather than have some digits in a bank to stare at :)

landguitar

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
And, so no no one in the Gibson camp or otherwise thinks I have a problem with them making ML or aged guitars, to the contrary. They are just fitting a desired nitch. When I stated in another post that ML's were like a snake that you picked up, I simply meant that you know what you are getting when you buy a reliced guitar. They are purposefully aging them 60 plus years in a week or so's time, so I think that finish issues should be expected as the norm, and not an anomoly, going forward. To surmise that Gibson is going to be financially able to, or willing to, take all these back under warranty work is unrealistic. I love the company, and the guitars they make, and have no knock on any of their products, including ML, though I don't own one.
I don’t think this is a good analysis of the situation. I don’t own a ML LP, but I have 3 Tom Murphy painted/finished LP’s going back to a 2004, in slightly different aging “categories”. All are excellently finished and super players, and I haven’t had any issues with them - other than which do I play today or at which gig!

It’s just weird that they changed the finish “mix” from what worked well in the past, and now they literally have a mess. I was tempted by the idea of one early on, but I wasn’t digging what I was seeing based on the new checking process.

I’m guessing they made these changes thinking they could make it “more” period-correct, and/or more easily duplicated in larger quantities. A shame, but everyone makes mistakes and it seems they are learning from this and making it right? Would suck to be dealing with this as a buyer, so I feel for you guys. Thanks for the thread and info on this.

calieng

Reaction score
Just an update.....have not been on for a while due to work but checked back on my remaining 3 ML guitars with cherry backs and unfortunately another one is loosing finish now. I thought I had returned all the defective guitars already but the 3 remaining that looked to be OK are now starting to deteriorate. Purchased in April '21 the guitar looked perfect - no finish issues. But not now. I doubt the dealer will take it back now so this may be my first try at a Gibson refinish....will provide updates.

Reminder - if you have a ML with cherry back from 2020 - mid 2021 your finish has defective cherry pore filler and it eventually will flake off.

And before someone posts a stupid comment like "That is what you paid for - an aged finish" please don't waste your time. This process accelerates once it starts and eventually all the finish will fall off. So thanks in advance for not sniping.

20210718_150058728_iOS.jpg

20210718_150042016_iOS.jpg

20210718_150122968_iOS.jpg

Latest Threads