Murphy Lab finish falling off?

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Sorry if something similar to this has been posted already....
I heard that a lot of the Murphy Lab finishes are doing what this one is doing. The finish is falling off! Take a look. The guitar is discounted bc the finish has fallen off along the checking line. So I heard they may have stopped production while they reformulate the finish.

https://www.soundaffects.com/electric-guitars-c95/custom-shop-murphy-lab-1959-les-paul-reissue-ultra-light-aging-see-description-p17202?utm_source=562__Look_what_has_arrived_this_week&utm_medium=email&utm_term=103736_https://www.soundaffects.com/electric-guitars-c95/custom-shop-murphy-lab-1959-les-paul-reissue-ultra-light-aging-see-description-p17202&utm_campaign=562__Look_what_has_arrived_this_week
zzzzzzzzzzz9999999999999999999999.png
zzzzzzzzzzz99999999999999999999991.png

zzzzzzzzzzz99999999999999999999992.jpg

Last edited:

the_lawyer

Reaction score
I played a Murphy Lab Lester two days ago and I noticed the finish issues (raised check lines) too. You can see it around the toggle switch!
868A7411-434F-4600-91E4-62231BFFC6CF.jpeg
Btw, look at the missing lower right screw in the neck pickup ring!

Last edited:

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was a question that I asked very early when these Murphy Lab guitars were first introduced. I noticed the process was a new method and formula of nitro combination to induce checking. I thought extreme cold and heat method,...forcing shrinking and expanding would lift the finish off the body.

I guess it very well could.

Though this looks purposely scraped or scratched.

0BA3BBDE-C0DC-405B-A018-60B960C1D11D.jpeg

Last edited:

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was a question that I asked very early when these Murphy Lab guitars were first introduced. I noticed the process was a new method and formula of nitro combination to induce checking. I thought extreme cold and heat method,...forcing shrinking and expanding would lift the finish off the body.

I guess it very well could.

Though this looks purposely scraped or scratched.

View attachment 544361
At first i thought it was a deep gouge, but its the lighting emphasising edges and shadows. Its a very odd thing for sure, right between two things that would afford some protection against something scratching where this is. Good price though, if i could sell my R0 i'd prolly buy it.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
At first i thought it was a deep gouge, but its the lighting emphasising edges and shadows. Its a very odd thing for sure, right between two things that would afford some protection against something scratching where this is. Good price though, if i could sell my R0 i'd prolly buy it.
I’m assuming the aging is done without any parts on the instrument...... but you’re right.... dumb place for a gouge.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
its not a gouge to my eyes, it is flaked lacquer, although how it flaked is the question, over done freezing?, deliberate vandalism? careless handling? no idea, but i like the top.
On second thoughts, its not to be unexpected, two companies that provide similar finishes state in their faq that they cannot control what happens to the finish once its been shipped, due to air/temp differences, its the reason the 'don't open the case' became a thing when going from one temp to another, and still lingers on in some minds even though the standard ranges lacquer is much more stable.

Last edited:

calieng

Reaction score
Sorry if something similar to this has been posted already....
I heard that a lot of the Murphy Lab finishes are doing what this one is doing. The finish is falling off! Take a look. The guitar is discounted bc the finish has fallen off along the checking line. So I heard they may have stopped production while they reformulate the finish.

https://www.soundaffects.com/electric-guitars-c95/custom-shop-murphy-lab-1959-les-paul-reissue-ultra-light-aging-see-description-p17202?utm_source=562__Look_what_has_arrived_this_week&utm_medium=email&utm_term=103736_https://www.soundaffects.com/electric-guitars-c95/custom-shop-murphy-lab-1959-les-paul-reissue-ultra-light-aging-see-description-p17202&utm_campaign=562__Look_what_has_arrived_this_week View attachment 544336 View attachment 544337

View attachment 544343
I have already mentioned this several times and have returned two UL aged ML for this very reason. The finish is too brittle on the UL aged to handle the freezing. It seems to happen mostly near the neck joint so it may also have something to do with the wood contaminated with glue or moisture when sprayed.

I am not seeing it on the heavy aged. The finish does appear to be a little different formula or the process a little different for those? Not sure.

What is the source for the news that production is stopped?

calieng

Reaction score
Here is another one. This makes 3 now. This time a light aged purchased two months ago.

The rest of the collection looks fine so far. Although a little worried about the ES-335.

IMG_3443.JPG

P.S. The finish was not lifted up like that when I got it.

Last edited:

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
So there is a way to “fix” this … it acts like a stop bath and a Fixer in film development…

it’s more like a coat of clear after a sanding … but that’s two more steps ….The price just went up….

if they don’t kill the line….

Latest Threads