Murphy Lab - Finally Got it Right but Too Late

calieng

Reaction score
This is the guitar I would have liked to have purchased. Painted by Tom and non-aged. Probably would have waited for a '59 and a little different top. Also a bit too pricey. But they finally got the right idea. Now just needs a Brazilian board and the finish not to fall off. Oh well maybe next year.

01584_lg5.jpg

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boom, just about a perfect 10 there top wise, straight quartersawn grain with figuring. Like my R0, although mine has a couple of mineral lines in it, which some love, but i don't. So now they are offering non aged? Should of from the start. But yeah, that braz though needed, other brands are still doing the odd one so c'mon Gibson, sort it out.

Last edited:

kelsodeez

Reaction score
I think an undue premium has been put on the mystique of Tom Murphy. He's just a dude that went from painting guitars to being ashamed of telling people he was using a razor blade to mimic finish checking and now he's some kind of relic genius that commands almost triple the price of a reissue equivalent? It makes no sense to me.

DanD

Reaction score
For 10k the top better make my jaw drop.

The two Murphy ROs at Wildwood are weak at best.

They'd be good tops on a '58 but not on a 10k R0...

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
$10,700 + tax. :rofl:

:facepalm:

That'll buy nearly THREE used R9s.

Now.......if Greg K. demos it and I get a signed copy of the DVD, then maybe I'd reconsider...

Last edited:

HIDDEN

Reaction score
Bbq top and over 9lbs at over $10k? That’s a new low standard (no pun intended)
People can’t be that gullible :hmm:

Latest Threads