Murphy Lab Chicken Pox

spartacus slim

Reaction score
It puzzles me why, after numerous threads and lots of documentation of the defective finish problems on Murphy Lab guitars, there is still a steady stream of comments along the lines of “what’s the problem? It’s supposed to be aged”.

There is no ambiguity as to whether a number of Murphy Lab guitars have defective finish. Gibson is repairing or replacing guitars with the defective finish under warranty.

Those who have shared stories and photos of their guitars with overly-fragile of lifting finish are not simply suffering buyers remorse, nor are they ignorant as to what an ‘aged’ guitar finish is supposed to look and feel like.

The OP of this thread has had hands-on experience of more than 10 Murphy Lab guitars with defective finish problems. It is absurd to continually suggest that he might be confused or overreacting to minor issues.

john550

Reaction score
From slim "t puzzles me why, after numerous threads and lots of documentation of the defective finish problems on Murphy Lab guitars"

Not all the Murphy Labs are effected . The dark cherry back , the ultra light aging seem to be effected .

Believe it or not , not all Murphy labs are effected .

Personally , I had one that was ( dark cherry back ultra light aging ) the Finnish changed from the advertisement to delivery , I sent it back .

I got a heavy aged , no problem .

spartacus slim

Reaction score
From slim "t puzzles me why, after numerous threads and lots of documentation of the defective finish problems on Murphy Lab guitars"

Not all the Murphy Labs are effected . The dark cherry back , the ultra light aging seem to be effected .

Believe it or not , not all Murphy labs are effected .

Personally , I had one that was ( dark cherry back ultra light aging ) the Finnish changed from the advertisement to delivery , I sent it back .

I got a heavy aged , no problem .
Hi john550, thanks for your reply! I said in my previous comment that there is no ambiguity that “a number” of Murphy Lab guitars have defective finish, but I am aware that it seems many others are holding up fine so far. I am really glad to hear that your Heavy Aged example is one such guitar that has no problems!

My comment was meant in support of the OP of this thread, who I think deserves our support as opposed to constant comments questioning his concerns over the defective finish on his ML guitars.

My favourite thing about this forum is the great support and in-depth knowledge that can be found here. On the few occasions I have had an issue with a guitar and came here for advice and perspective I have received nothing but friendly help and good vibes from many, many forum members.

In my opinion, the OP of this thread has contributed much by sharing in great detail his first hand experience of the Murphy Lab guitars, allowing others to see the tell-take signs of the defective finish problem and to be warned of potential pitfalls that could arise should they purchase a ML guitar that unfortunately has such issues.

john550

Reaction score
Thanks Sparticus slim, no doubt the OP went thru hell . I agree a perspective buyer may get information from this thread.

I kept adding my 2 cents because, one could draw a conclusion that every ML's are bad ,

KeoRS

Reaction score
Still waiting for mine… hmm, did I buy a Gibson x Rally Murphy Lab or the real thing? :hmm: Starting to feel like the latter.

BBC

Reaction score
Pitting on the back of my 78 Standard. It happened about a year after I bought it in 1978. Was lucky to have it, never complained but I didn't like it much.
A70E24D2-9224-424B-8788-2BB24D8E4EA0.jpeg

jcourtjr

Reaction score
Theres seems to be a lot of people unhappy with their finish issues. I think the vast majority of people are very happy. Probably some that are happy have the exact same problems that some are unhappy with.

I think its a little extreme to say not to buy these ever but to be aware of the potential issues. My Murphy Lab left Gibson 2 months ago and I hope not to eat my words. I actually want the guitar to develop more "aging". One of the reasons I bought it is to not worry about dinging it and play the freaking thing. I will be sure to tell Gibson once flaking or other finish issues become a concern. Until then I am in the happy camp and hope everyone gets what they paid for.

KeoRS

Reaction score
Calieng, so is everything settled on your end? I’m waiting to see if my authorized retailer can get a selection for me to choose from for my replacement guitar. Fingers crossed… would be nice to have a choice.

calieng

Banned
Reaction score
Nothing on this '58 guitar yet but Bob from Gibson Customer Service emailed today to let me know he is getting some photos later this week for a replacement of the other heavy aged '59.

Photos were never offered before but when I asked for them Bob was able to make it happen. He seems to be a pretty good guy actually.

KeoRS

Reaction score
Nothing on this '58 guitar yet but Bob from Gibson Customer Service emailed today to let me know he is getting some photos later this week for a replacement of the other heavy aged '59.

Photos were never offered before but when I asked for them Bob was able to make it happen. He seems to be a pretty good guy actually.

you know, maybe, just maybe… we’ll be having keepers in our hands pretty soon ;)

calieng

Banned
Reaction score
you know, maybe, just maybe… we’ll be having keepers in our hands pretty soon ;)

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me, fool me a dozen times, the next guitar gets thrown under a passing school bus....

You have hope and I will stay angry. That way the universe stays in balance.

Cheers.

:)

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see the dog with the ball in it's mouth in the avatar and i think poor Murphy the Lab has chicken pox.....and it's something else all together.....:facepalm:

Rob H.

Reaction score
It puzzles me why, after numerous threads and lots of documentation of the defective finish problems on Murphy Lab guitars, there is still a steady stream of comments along the lines of “what’s the problem? It’s supposed to be aged”.

There is no ambiguity as to whether a number of Murphy Lab guitars have defective finish. Gibson is repairing or replacing guitars with the defective finish under warranty.

Those who have shared stories and photos of their guitars with overly-fragile of lifting finish are not simply suffering buyers remorse, nor are they ignorant as to what an ‘aged’ guitar finish is supposed to look and feel like.

The OP of this thread has had hands-on experience of more than 10 Murphy Lab guitars with defective finish problems. It is absurd to continually suggest that he might be confused or overreacting to minor issues.

Nothing a good setup and practice can’t fix.

Aero84

Reaction score
So, do any guitars made late 2021 still exhibit the flaking finish issue?

West 8th ST NyC

Reaction score
So, do any guitars made late 2021 still exhibit the flaking finish issue?
The thing is...how would you know????......What looks good today , might be a flaky mess in 2 years ..AND there is no warranty for it .....

Aero84

Reaction score
The thing is...how would you know????......What looks good today , might be a flaky mess in 2 years ..AND there is no warranty for it .....
I’m getting 2 years of warranty in Europe (through the retailer). I would guess if the issue doesn’t occur in the first couple of months it should remain stable - at least if it’s due to a bad filler.

West 8th ST NyC

Reaction score
I’m getting 2 years of warranty in Europe (through the retailer). I would guess if the issue doesn’t occur in the first couple of months it should remain stable - at least if it’s due to a bad filler.
I hope so , mine just hangs on the wall ....my new love is my USA..EVH ,,im addicted to it

Attachments

• IMG_0374.jpg
    IMG_0374.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 8

NINFNM

Reaction score
A real shame that the best Les pauls (look at that back grain) go to the hands or lab of this guy.

Latest Threads