Murphy Lab Chicken Pox

eric ernest

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Real 1959 Les Pauls had a thick finish (from what I understand). Thats why real 1959s took years and years to age naturally.

It's my understanding Gibson heated the lacquer in the 50's so they could slam it on thick.

3 coats.

calieng

Banned
Reaction score
So when do you get your next one?

No idea. No communication. I'll try calling and emailing in another week or so.

I still have to setup a return for the '58 and now the 2nd replacement for the UL '59 with the newest finish is chipping so I am monitoring for a bit before deciding if it needs to go back too.

I feel like just throwing these last few in the trash can so I do not have to deal with this anymore. It has been that bad of an experience.

calieng

Banned
Reaction score
It's my understanding Gibson heated the lacquer in the 50's so they could slam it on thick.

3 coats.

Interesting. Thanks for the info!

Wouldn't it be great if Gibson did a run exactly how they were made back then. I guess the nitro is still different due to EPA and other availability reasons.

DanD

Reaction score
My 'plasticized' R7 Jr has an extremely thin finish after 20+ years of age. The finish has sunk into every pore in the mahogany and the result is very much like vintage Gibsons I've ownwd/handled in the late 70s.

There was one specific '58 LP at Shirley's Music in Norwood, OH I played at least once a week for a couple months before it sold ($2500...) that had the same finish sink.

That guitar was 20 years old at the time and had many similarities with my Jr.

Plasticized or not, the lacquer continues to off gas and get thinner with age.

john550

Reaction score
My opinion , the "chicken pox ' . As seen on the head stock , half dozen on the back . These look the same type of aging on the aged guitars . Although yours might be screwed up if the finish coming off easy , and is showing aged spots on you ultra light aged with cherry back .

GearHo

Reaction score
Here is my 77 pro it has “chicken pox” marks on it, natural from years of use. As sympathetic as I am towards the op ‘s problem , he should stop buying aged guitars and expecting them to look differently. This is what they are, get rid of your ML guitars and buy a vintage piece.

Reactions: ehb

calieng

Banned
Reaction score
Here is my 77 pro it has “chicken pox” marks on it, natural from years of use. As sympathetic as I am towards the op ‘s problem , he should stop buying aged guitars and expecting them to look differently. This is what they are, get rid of your ML guitars and buy a vintage piece.

First of all I am not buying Murphy Lab guitars and have not since the first finish issues were discovered. I keep getting defective replacements from Gibson and the others I had were already returned for refunds. I am not that stupid to buy another one once I discovered they are defective.

Thanks for sharing your aged info from a real guitar. I have owned several Murphy aged Les Pauls and still have one from 2011 and 2015. The 2011 (1960 Beano) is still exactly as it was when purchased new. No finish loss. And the 2015 ('59 True Historic) has only lost a few chips on the headstock corner in 6 years of use.

So these constant comments from people saying you should expect chicken pox and other defects to happen are just wrong. There was no reasonable expectation from anyone that we should have to deal with these issues within days, weeks, or months of purchasing an expensive new guitar.

But your advice is good to everyone out there - stop buying these guitars.

Last edited:

calieng

Banned
Reaction score
By the way - I have heard that the returned defects are being sold at the Gibson Garage....cannot say too much about it other than Gibson is dumping these on unsuspecting customers with limited warranty. But the details of what I was told made me really angry.

kelsodeez

Reaction score
I feel like just throwing these last few in the trash can so I do not have to deal with this anymore. It has been that bad of an experience.
Throw it at me. I am a trashcan! Haha. How funny would it be to show up to a gig with a Murphy lab as my backup guitar lol. I am secretly hoping these fall off in value because of all this bs they're putting you and other owners through so I can pick up a cheap one to take when I go out on the road. When I get done with one it'll look like rory Gallagher's strat

calieng

Banned
Reaction score
Throw it at me. I am a trashcan! Haha. How funny would it be to show up to a gig with a Murphy lab as my backup guitar lol. I am secretly hoping these fall off in value because of all this bs they're putting you and other owners through so I can pick up a cheap one to take when I go out on the road. When I get done with one it'll look like rory Gallagher's strat

The thought had crossed my mind to just give one to a forum member so it would be one less to deal with. But then I thought who on this forum has not pissed me off or insulted me lately....only Duane came to mind. And he does not really like ML guitars anyway so never mind.

:)

kelsodeez

Reaction score
You should try and bring some good from it. Hold a raffle on the forum and donate the cash to charity. You'll get a tax write off, and a forum member will be super stoked about getting a guitar for next to nothing

calieng

Banned
Reaction score
You should try and bring some good from it. Hold a raffle on the forum and donate the cash to charity. You'll get a tax write off, and a forum member will be super stoked about getting a guitar for next to nothing

I'll actually consider that but maybe with a different guitar or amp. I want to hold Gibson's feet to the fire on these until all issues are resolved even though it is getting pretty tiresome to keep dealing with them.

How about we start small. I have a really nice condition TC Electronics Nova System like new in the box that I never use. You tell me how to set up the raffle and how much for the tickets etc since it is your idea and I will donate it including shipping.

We can go from there with some other items if it works out. Charity of your choice or donation to the forum either way. Maybe some others will join in on the idea with some things they are not using too?

GearHo

Reaction score
First of all I am not buying Murphy Lab guitars and have not since the first finish issues were discovered. I keep getting defective replacements from Gibson and the others I had were already returned for refunds. I am not that stupid to buy another one once I discovered they are defective.

Thanks for sharing your aged info from a real guitar. I have owned several Murphy aged Les Pauls and still have one from 2011 and 2015. The 2011 (1960 Beano) is still exactly as it was when purchased new. No finish loss. And the 2015 ('59 True Historic) has only lost a few chips on the headstock corner in 6 years of use.

So these constant comments from people saying you should expect chicken pox and other defects to happen are just wrong. There was no reasonable expectation from anyone that we should have to deal with these issues within days, weeks, or months of purchasing an expensive new guitar.

But your advice is good to everyone out there - stop buying these guitars.
Dude, I never said you should “expect” anything, you should stop buying aged guitars as they don’t seem to live up to your desired look. Right wrong or otherwise after ten of these guitars that did not work out go buy a 54 goldtop for half the price of your Arsenal, take the rest and buy anything vintage.
You keep buying replicas of the real thing, just go buy the real deal.

Clint

Reaction score
Does anyone have any confirmation that Murphy fixed these problems? It sounds like a scary time to buy a new one right now but deals seem to be popping up :hmm:

calieng

Banned
Reaction score
Dude, I never said you should “expect” anything, you should stop buying aged guitars as they don’t seem to live up to your desired look. Right wrong or otherwise after ten of these guitars that did not work out go buy a 54 goldtop for half the price of your Arsenal, take the rest and buy anything vintage.
You keep buying replicas of the real thing, just go buy the real deal.

Maybe you are just reading too quickly and not understanding what I said.

I just said I stopped buying these immediately upon finding out about the defects and I returned ever single one I could for a refund. The remaining few I have an ongoing issue with Gibson trying to sort out warranty replacements.

I have many other Les Pauls in my collection that I am more than happy with. The problem is not with me it is with Gibson putting out a defective series of guitars.

But thanks for the advice on buying a real one. I suppose if I sold all my guitars I could probably buy a real 1959. Probably the worst one and cheapest one that anyone could find for sale. And then I would realize what a piece of shit some old guitars are.

For [email protected]!

P.S. You are officially off my get a free guitar from Chris list.

john550

Reaction score
I totally agree your guitar should not change a month after owning it , nor should the finish just come off .

The spots on yours are standard on the heavy aged guitars . Might be a mix up .

Mattcran

Reaction score
No idea. No communication. I'll try calling and emailing in another week or so.

I still have to setup a return for the '58 and now the 2nd replacement for the UL '59 with the newest finish is chipping so I am monitoring for a bit before deciding if it needs to go back too.

Please let me know if there is going to be a "curb alert"

KStopper65

Reaction score
It would actually be pretty cool to have a guitar shredding its finish off the while the player shreds on it

Latest Threads