Murphy Lab Chicken Pox

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
it's really not a question in my book about 'future/resell value'. Fact remains, there shouldn't be the level of QC related issues these high dollar items have....period. Every reissue, CC, artist model, limited edition, etc... they're all a crapshoot as to future value....shit my luck if I plinked down the coin on one of these I may have a great neck feeling, and great sounding guitar, but after all is said and done, I don't like the advent of being left with a finish less guitar!!

modavis99

Reaction score
apologies to anyone who got one that needs a repair, but I got a light aged murphy lab LP and a medium aged ML 335 and they are both great guitars !

OLD GUITAR PLAYER

Reaction score
Maybe the special processes they use, and the special materials they use to get that perfect "vintage" look, are new enough that they are just discovering now, how these new "vintage" guitars are going to hold up over time? Maybe taking a brand new guitar and mimicking 20-60 years of wear over a few months in a factory setting has an unforeseen downside?

Last edited:

timdcarroll

Reaction score
it's really not a question in my book about 'future/resell value'. Fact remains, there shouldn't be the level of QC related issues these high dollar items have....period. Every reissue, CC, artist model, limited edition, etc... they're all a crapshoot as to future value....shit my luck if I plinked down the coin on one of these I may have a great neck feeling, and great sounding guitar, but after all is said and done, I don't like the advent of being left with a finish less guitar!!

I totally agree in the extreme cases where the lack of craftsmanship is leaving you with the bare mahagony ... but a slight chip, bump, flake ... that's "Relic'ing". The best option to avoid this scenario is to purchase a glossy, shiny, non-nitro finshed guitar that will sound the same way 50 years from now ... the identical way it sounded when you first plugged it in today. PRS comes to mind.

niktyler

Reaction score
In my opinion, there is a big difference between a defect, and character. Character is something is produced by you, the guitar player. A defect - which I believe this is - is thrown together / untested work for a guitar that costs more than a used car. I don't think the "shut up and play it" holds weight in these scenarios. You should send it back for the profit they make on these until you get what you want.

In regards to chickenpox - that's not what guitars do when they age. That's not a natural event that happens over time. That's a chemical compound that wasn't tested and is failing.

calieng

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry to throw out my edumacation as an engineer again - but the indication is that they will need to sneak some plasticizer back in the nitro mix or go way thicker on the finish.

You may have no issues for now but it does not appear that this finish will hold up long term. The most recent version of this finish from a guitar I got direct from Gibson is already chipping (not flaking from defective pore filler but chipping from being too brittle and thin).

Well at least that is my opinion.

OLD GUITAR PLAYER

Reaction score
In my opinion, there is a big difference between a defect, and character. Character is something is produced by you, the guitar player. A defect - which I believe this is - is thrown together / untested work for a guitar that costs more than a used car. I don't think the "shut up and play it" holds weight in these scenarios. You should send it back for the profit they make on these until you get what you want.

In regards to chickenpox - that's not what guitars do when they age. That's not a natural event that happens over time. That's a chemical compound that wasn't tested and is failing.
That is my concern about things like "chickenpox". The latest Murphy Lab "treatment" they give these instruments to make them "look like" original vintage instruments has only been around for a short time. They probably don't know yet how well their latest "treatment" is going to hold up over time. It seems to me that they may be "beta" testing their latest aging technology on actual customers, after reviewing many of the responses in this forum.

dport

Reaction score
Why don't they just, in limited, special runs like ML, produce like they did in the 50's instead of trying to recreate the wheel? I don't understand. For the amount of R&D they probably sunk into the current ML processes....they might could have just sourced materials to do it like the old days. Is there a good reason while they are trying to make this stuff work?

OLD GUITAR PLAYER

Reaction score
Why don't they just, in limited, special runs like ML, produce like they did in the 50's instead of trying to recreate the wheel? I don't understand. For the amount of R&D they probably sunk into the current ML processes....they might could have just sourced materials to do it like the old days. Is there a good reason while they are trying to make this stuff work?
MONEY!!! Relics are very popular right now, and for a company that has been struggling financially, they have been a big win for Gibson! Pre-Murphy Lab, they couldn't crank out relics at this pace, and at the current profit margin. But, how much will a Murphy Lab guitar really be worth in 10 years?

Last edited:

spartacus slim

Reaction score
I do wonder if any of this business with defective finish and the customer service fiasco that followed would ever have happened had Edwin Wilson & Rick Gembar still been at the Custom Shop...

timdcarroll

Reaction score

I can attest that my 1968 Gibson SG (original) did acquire chicken pox! I served in the US Army and was in Asia for 16 months. During that time the chicken pox (bubbles) formed around the heel where the neck meets the body. The guitar was in the case (locked) under my bed in my parents house the entire time. Rare but some, not so many as in this case, do exactly THAT.

Deus Vult

Banned
Reaction score
I was just reading about how any Reissue post 2013 was light years above the older ones. I’m lucky my shitty 2007/2008s never had this crap happen to them.

canesfan

Reaction score
Earlier this year I was torn between a 60th anniversary R9 VOS and a lightly aged Murphy Lab R9. Ended up going with the 60th anniversary and in hindsight now very happy I did. I couldn’t be more pleased with the finish and playability and recommend it highly. Feel bad for everyone having the issues with ML and hope Gibson takes care of it.

DanD

Reaction score
I was just reading about how any Reissue post 2013 was light years above the older ones. I’m lucky my shitty 2007/2008s never had this crap happen to them.
All years from Custom have great guitars!

But over time they've evolved one small step at a time.

We're talking the last few percentage points towards perfection, which is an elusive goal.

From '93 to present there are many outstanding Rs.

However, if we're being particular about it, the earliest Rs had rounded inlays and bone nuts that caught the strings and hampered tuning.

Later Rs got nylon nuts and pointy inlays.

Even later Rs got the correct inlay material and better colored tuner tips.

There's a host of improvements the Rs have received since '93 and, a couple exceptions aside, they were all improvements over the prior Rs.

Doesn't mean a great '94 R9 with a monster top isn't desirable.

ElChoad

Almost a dick, almost an asshole, close to nuts.
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Serious question: does the ML aging make the guitar sound or feel better? There has to be a plus-side to all the hassle. Somebody please explain it to me.

calieng

Banned
Reaction score
Serious question: does the ML aging make the guitar sound or feel better? There has to be a plus-side to all the hassle. Somebody please explain it to me.

Yes IMHO the thinner and harder finish does let the guitar resonant a little better and there seems to be a little more top end / treble on average.

Several of them that I had were really nice sounding and playing guitars.

West 8th ST NyC

Reaction score
They really do feel and sound amazing. I have other high end guitars , but im sold on the fact that relicing plays into the mojo and sound . In a nut shell , the have soul .

calieng

Banned
Reaction score
They really do feel and sound amazing. I have other high end guitars , but im sold on the fact that relicing plays into the mojo and sound . In a nut shell , the have soul .

Yes I was sold on them before all the finish problems. But I also have several non ML Les Pauls that are wonderful guitars. Finding the one that is right for you is the trick.

Cheers.

lawrev

Reaction score
I have a 1963 SG Special Reissue in Classic White Ultra Light Aged (but looks like creme - a stick of buter) that sounds more resonant and slightly brighter than a regular Custom Shop SG Special or Junior. I am very happy with mine - and of course this guitar / color didn't have the issues that the Standards did.

Latest Threads