Multitrack recorder vs. ipad

Lhdr

Reaction score
Hoping you guys can walk me through a decision. I’ve decided I’m not going to use my desktop computer to do basic recording. Don't have the space around my iMac computer and I need portability.

Background and needs.

This would be for solo songwriting and fun. Mostly it needs to be fun and easy. The whole purpose for this is to be an enjoyable hobby for myself. I dont want to (if I can) be caught up in manuals, settings, adaptors, latency problems etc. I would be laying down acoustic and electric guitar tracks, bass, vocal, piano. Have no idea how you get drums going but any help with that would be appreciated. I cant drum. I am a guitarist at heart, dont do beats etc. In the early 90’s, I briefly had some fun with a Fostex 8 track cassette Machine. I assume the sound quality of todays digital machines is exceptionally better?

I don’t need many efffects. I can mic my modeling amp, so just need some slight vocal and acoustic effects. Sound quality should be clean and crisp but I’m not searching for any perfection whatsoever. Editing doesn’t need to be crazy, just simple. I dont even know how to do punch in and out or do loops and certainly don't know diddly about DAWS and editing.

I was thinking of a Tascam DP 08, a condenser mic, maybe a shure 57 and calling it a day. On the other hand I was thinking of using my current 5th gen ipad, buying a condenser, sm 57, an interface and learning garageband or similar DAW using the ipad.

The only thing that really intrigues me is the ability to access guitar software like Amplitube which would really spice up the electric guitar portion. With that I know I would have to go the ipad route where I am now spending half my time adjusting settings, reading, fighting latency and frustration and learning how to use DAWS.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
You just NEED an audio interface and that iMac and you can get studio quality recording with Garageband. I've never used it on an iPad, but I'd expect it's a similar beast. However, you would still require an interface, IMO.

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
For the money, that little Tascam looks cool. That sort of free-standing recorder is a little outdated but for something small and portable its hard to beat.

I had a Zoom recorder with a built-in CD burner that I bought 15 years ago or so. It was a great toy/tool to have around.

Nard

Reaction score
I started out like the OP. Just wanted to get ideas down and wanted a cheap little 8 track to do it. If it worked well great, if not then I hadn’t wasted too much money.I settled on the Boss BR 80 which has everything you can imagine for recording. For a better drum track I used GarageBand and just experimented until it sounded right. Like the OP I’m not drum savvy. Once I got a dozen or so complete songs I realised I could make them sound even better, more polished by using a DAW and progressed to using Reaper. I think it just becomes he norm for most people to want to improve on what you can do. It can be fun, sometimes infuriating and even disheartening at times but always worth it. There are tons of tutorials on YouTube that are easy to follow if you need them. Good luck Lhdr and have fun whichever method you decide to go for.:thumb:

HCRoadie

Reaction score
The tascam is a great piece of kit. Look into the zoom line. Their R8 looks great and feature rich!

Six6String6

Reaction score
I just bought one. There are latency issues, not huge but noticeable I find. Other than that it’s really pretty cool. The included software is nice too.

Brek

Reaction score
I use GarageBand on iPad, it’s great, easy interface and can port into logic to mix/master.

CerebralGasket

Reaction score
iMac is perfect.
Get a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface.
Use GarageBand or Logic Pro X.

I highly recommend an external SSD dedicated for recording purposes. You should not have any latency issues with that setup.

Last edited:

Latest Threads