Multi effects box

nerdflanders

Reaction score
do you know any good ones? Are there any particular brands that make good products? for a good price I mean.

tzd

Reaction score
Nowadays you can find one at any price range. What type of effects are you looking for and what’s your budget?

wildhawk1

Reaction score
I'm a guitar/cord/amp type but there's occasions when I can go ampless live or want to use a couple effects to spice things up.

My criteria shopping a few years back...
1. Simple to use
2. Sounds good
3. Simple to use

I chose the Boss ME-80.

They took their extensive line of pedals and put it in one box.

boss-me-80.jpg

Keep mine in a Road Runner case for traveling.

2019-11-09 04.12.23.jpg

Last edited:

nerdflanders

Reaction score
Yes I am tossing up between an me 80 and a Mooer ge200 . What is the reverb choices like on the me 80? I love big spatial sounds

garybaldy

Reaction score
I'm still successfully using the old Boss ME8 from 1996!! Can be got for less than one effect pedal.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a Digitech RP500 I love.... It has separate kick buttons for Comp, Dist, Chorus, DDL, and Rev, along with a programmable expression pedal I use for volume. I love it.

That being said, I detest most factory patches with a passion, on about any multi effects units.

I think they are done by a drunk cab driver that has trouble with playing a radio.

In mine, I turned the modelling off as I want to hear MY amps. I then tweaked three patches. Three. One for single coils, one for Lesters, and one for bass. Remember there are separate kick buttons for the individual effects within that patch. So I am NOT changing patches...I am just kicking the respective effects on and off within that patch.

They are discontinued I think so can be had fairly cheap. I would suggest getting a multi effects unit only if willing to get in there with it and tweak.... Mine is no better or worse than any of em. Pretty much all can be kiler with tweaking...

Again, they take tweaking. I can live without all the freaking star trek reject whirlygig crap patches... I don't care if it can mimic an underwater egg beater on acid......

Takes some burning the proverbial midnight oil to get em right but it can be done...

nerdflanders

Reaction score
I'm still successfully using the old Boss ME8 from 1996!! Can be got for less than one effect pedal.
thanks for the reply. ..check out the me 80 you will see the reverb knob in the top right hand corner, it is a 4 field thing, and they are never good. Am I missing something, surely you can get more reverb than that one knob? Can you use a delay to get a nice reverb sound?

HogmanA

Reaction score
I used to have the me50, which had the same 4 field reverb knob. Yes, that is all they have. It's like a reverb knob on an amp in operation, so that's the level of control you have. You could use one of the delays for slap back echo in place of reverb.
You've got to appreciate the me units for what they are, great grab and go effects pedals.
I got mine specifically for auditions, where I don't want to bring pedals, and I don't want to be scrolling through menus while they're all looking at their watches. I prefer no effects plugging straight in, but sometimes a band would require a certain sound.

One major drawback is the me series don't have effects loops, so you can't connect them to your amps effects loop (well you can, but it's not as flexible, doesn't sound as good).

I now have a zoom g9. 2tt, though old was flagship once and still sounds great, does the individual pedal or patch mode, 2 assignable foot controllers, 2 assignable foot switches, 2 12ax7 tubes, effects loop and the ability to move the effects loop routing. Between the 2 tubes (1 tube post, 1 pre controlled separately) , the overdives and the compressor, I'm most pleased with the control over the compression, which can be tweaked for any situation.
I would have gone with a boss gt10 or 100 and would have been something comparable, but the zoom came up first (used).

Last edited:

wildhawk1

Reaction score
Yes I am tossing up between an me 80 and a Mooer ge200 . What is the reverb choices like on the me 80? I love big spatial sounds
Hall, reverb and spring...... or this effect built in the ME-80.

dc007

Premium Member
Reaction score
I got along pretty good with a Line6 M9. The overdrives were kinda lame but I did enjoy having the scenes for different types of modulation/delay. Mostly play just straight in nowadays