Muffler guitar build

beerbelly

Reaction score
Let's hear it rumble! Start'er up!
The truth is, I suck at playing, but really enjoy building. I'm a Luddite when it comes to tech, video, YouTube, etc. Maybe I can find a friend who can do a video for me. I can tell you it sounds like a real guitar, with no metallic rattles, and everything works like it should. All the issues I mentioned in the last post are corrected. I didn't have the end cap under the neck when I was having some tuning issues, but that went away after I replaced it.

We have a huge auto swap meet here in Portland in the Spring, and my plan all along was to build this to try to sell there. I'm hoping some car guy would like this for his man cave or garage.

Anyway, I got the strap mounted, and it hangs surprisingly well and doesn't seem as heavy as I'd figured. And if there's a wall or chair, it doesn't need a stand.

on strap.jpg
standing.jpg

beerbelly

Reaction score
Time for a muffler guitar diet; it was just obnoxiously heavy.
I wasn't sure I could get in there and remove any of the remaining structure, assuming it was most likely spot welded together. I started poking around under some of the cross braces, and found I could move them slightly. So I cut through both of them with my angle grinder, and much to my surprise, the perforated tubes slid off the outlet pipes. I'm also looking for some different exhaust tips- those stainless ones are nice, but heavy. Maybe some cheap chrome ones.
Those two changes saved 3 lbs.

Original muffler weight:

original weight.jpg

First surgery:

original gutting.jpg

Second surgery:

2nd gutting.jpg

Second surgery weight:

View attachment 579473

Saved weight:

View attachment 579474

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't go any lighter.
That's already Strat territory even with the tips... I'd start to worry about neck dive if you lighten the tips.
How does it balance "naked"?

lowatter

Reaction score
Sweet build. Before you flip it, PLEASE find a good player to play it and make a video of the way it sounds/ performs etc and add it to this thread. It would help with your sale of it as well if you have a boob toob video that the buyer could check out..

beerbelly

Reaction score
I wouldn't go any lighter.
That's already Strat territory even with the tips... I'd start to worry about neck dive if you lighten the tips.
How does it balance "naked"?
That's just the weight of the "body"- no neck, no pickups, no cover or exhaust tips. Even now, neck dive won't be an issue I'm sure!

beerbelly

Reaction score
Sweet build. Before you flip it, PLEASE find a good player to play it and make a video of the way it sounds/ performs etc and add it to this thread. It would help with your sale of it as well if you have a boob toob video that the buyer could check out..
Anyone in the Portland Oregon area that's set up to demo this online? If so, message me. I can't do it justice.

Aaronoutside

Reaction score
Hey, I am in the Portland area, but certainly am not the one to demo it. I do know a few folks who would be good though, so hit me up if you don’t find anyone on here.

Latest Threads