MTM vs Production Historics Qualitywise

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
Not exactly. I am just not a connoisseur enough, and I tend to ask a lot of questions.

I feel like this thread has gone out of control again. I started it with a simple yet maybe (for some people) a bit controversial question, and it ended up being about questioning of my reasons for the question in the first place.

Some valid points have been made here. However, I am not seeking for advice on what to do in my situation. I am simply exploring one of my options. If I decide not to do MTM, I will go out and buy an R0 - no problem with that. I believe my original question has been answered and this topic has been exhausted.

Thanks to those who tried to answer my question, and thank you lpthomas for trying to help me out.
Your simple question was answered in the first 4 words of the very first response.....Same builders = same results.

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just get a CC#7 or Beano and be done with it. Great necks on both.
I want YOUR Beano,...but i still won't "be done with it",.....I'll have to find a "Pearly Gates",....then maybe I'll be done with it.....:D

Farquad

Reaction score
M2M is nothing exotic.
It's same people, same woods, same pipelines, same everything.
You just can decide (picking from a basket of limited options) what neck profile (58,59, 60, V1, V2 etc...), what top (limited and linked if it's a 58 or a 59 or a 60 etc..), what finish from BOTB or their own reference list, and they just put the pieces together as for any other guitar.
That isn't 100% accurate. I got a burl top and a custom color and very tight tolerance to neck specs on mine. Sadly I didnt get any build process photos. :(

DanD

Reaction score
I'm blind now and I have to ask, what color is that?

RAG7890

Premium Member
Reaction score
That isn't 100% accurate. I got a burl top and a custom color and very tight tolerance to neck specs on mine. Sadly I didnt get any build process photos. :(

I don’t mind this one, very cool to see something a little different now & then. Gold Hardware works really well too. :thumbs:

:cheers2:

Andy California

Reaction score
I see. I misread you in this old thread then. And I know it's unfair to quote an old thread. I just wanted to show you that this wasn't just a rude assumption.

Though my post wasn't all about this aspect of being new to guitars. I agree: Advice has been given. I hope you'll be able to find a nice LP soon. I'm quite new here so I enjoy seeing other people coming here and picking up a historic!
Thank you. The thread wasn't that old so what I said is still true. But I might have not used the right words to express what I wanted to.

Your simple question was answered in the first 4 words of the very first response.....Same builders = same results.
I know it was answered.
However, not with this statement. I don't agree with this statement. I don't think it's fair to equate same builders with same results. I've seen a lot of people say that TH were slightly better than regular Historics. I've also read an article and saw a video where the main Gibson CS guy was talking about how they go the extra mile to make sure TH are better. Either all that is a total nonsense, or "same builders = same results" is not exactly true.

lpthomas

Reaction score
However, not with this statement. I don't agree with this statement. I don't think it's fair to equate same builders with same results. I've seen a lot of people say that TH were slightly better than regular Historics. I've also read an article and saw a video where the main Gibson CS guy was talking about how they go the extra mile to make sure TH are better. Either all that is a total nonsense, or "same builders = same results" is not exactly true.
You seem to be misunderstanding this comment. I think it's obvious that quality is independent of the individual product. If the same workers work on a different project, it results in a different product. The TH may be considered "better" because they involve extra steps in manufacturing.

High quality can and should be achieved at any price point within their range.

I know where you're coming from. It's not a false to describe a, say, TH as a high-quality guitar. That doesn't mean the cheaper ones are less high-quality. Just a different offering.

BBD

Reaction score
I don't agree with this statement. I don't think it's fair to equate same builders with same results. I've seen a lot of people say that TH were slightly better than regular Historics.
'Same builders = same results' holds true with the caveat that there is always a degree of variability in the finished product. These are somewhat hand-built guitars, not microprocessors. Obviously you want something from the top end of the spectrum not the bottom and the only way you will get that is to try before you buy, or just keep buying blind online and flipping (and losing money) until you get lucky.

There's nothing more to say on the subject. Introducing a spurious confusion between different products (non-TH M2M vs TH) adds verbiage but not substance.

jamman

Premium Member
Reaction score
We all Love to see a TRAIN wreck . I wish someone took a Video !!!!!

So true . M2M can be great , But you never know how the top will turn out after it's carved and stained(depending on the cut of wood you pick) ... And at that point , it's yours .... Buying already made, does have some advantages ...You know exactly what you're getting .... Don't like it when you get it ??? Send it back and try another . Paying shipping costs less the a M2M ....

Blue Blood

Reaction score
This OP needs to go to a high end store (like Marks Guitar Loft or Norms) and sit down & play a bunch of different Les pauls (is that redundant ?)
Building up the perfect guitar in your head is going to end horribly...once the moneys spent & the endorphin rush subsides...

cherrysunburst00

I don't even care about the pat cictures anymore
Premium Member
Reaction score
I bought a M2M in 2015, and have been happy ever since. Looks, plays, and sounds great. Imho.. :dude::dude:

I can't comment on the plays department, but my suspicion on the sounds department is that you're right, and I CAN say that I agree 100% on the looks department. WOW WEEE