Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
that's a really ugly car :laugh2:

"would you like some car to go with your spoiler?"

AlanBiker

Reaction score
"The hybrid car-aircraft, AirCar, is equipped with a BMW engine and runs on regular petrol-pump fuel."

With the planned extinction of ICEs and probably gasoline, its fate is sealed.
Yes, it will definitely need an alternative power source but as a proof of concept it seems to work.

Alan

lancpudn

Reaction score
does that count for planes too? what if it's end around is that it's not a car?
The brown stuff is going to hit the fan after the 13th July when airlines have enjoyed a tax exemption for aviation fuel for years but it's about to end.
1625065384783.png

They're pressing for an end to internal flights in France of a certain distance requiring you to take the train instead, Mind you the SNCF have trains that are faster than flying :eek2: https://www.euractiv.com/section/aviation/opinion/fuelling-a-european-recovery-time-to-end-aviation-fuel-tax-exemption/
1625065439333.png

Olds442

Reaction score
The brown stuff is going to hit the fan after the 13th July when airlines have enjoyed a tax exemption for aviation fuel for years but it's about to end.
View attachment 546979

They're pressing for an end to internal flights in France of a certain distance requiring you to take the train instead, Mind you the SNCF have trains that are faster than flying :eek2: https://www.euractiv.com/section/aviation/opinion/fuelling-a-european-recovery-time-to-end-aviation-fuel-tax-exemption/
View attachment 546980
so an airfare hike is on the way for the EU markets? wouldn't be a surprise.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
does that count for planes too? what if it's end around is that it's not a car?
It's possible this vehicle could be exempted from ICE/fuel rules.

But this raises a whole other question: Will owner/operators of this vehicle need to have a pilot's license and attendant knowledge of FAA regs? I would hope so.

Wouldn't be a good idea to take the family out for a drive/flight and wander into Class B airspace and wave "hi" to the passengers in the approaching 747.

rabidhamster

Reaction score
It's possible this vehicle could be exempted from ICE/fuel rules.

But this raises a whole other question: Will owner/operators of this vehicle need to have a pilot's license and attendant knowledge of FAA regs? I would hope so.

Wouldn't be a good idea to take the family out for a drive/flight and wander into Class B airspace and wave "hi" to the passengers in the approaching 747.
Absolutely would be required to be licensed for experimental aircraft at minimum. It wouldn’t surprise me if this isn’t allowed to be flown over populated areas either, I’m not able to think of any other aircraft that size that would be.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It wouldn’t surprise me if this isn’t allowed to be flown over populated areas either, I’m not able to think of any other aircraft that size that would be.
If so, that would defeat the whole purpose of having such a vehicle, I mean from a convenience standpoint, i.e. commuting to work in a town or city with an airport and then continuing on to one's place of employment.

Enter the sticky wicket.

AlanBiker

Reaction score
If so, that would defeat the whole purpose of having such a vehicle, I mean from a convenience standpoint, i.e. commuting to work in a town or city with an airport and then continuing on to one's place of employment.

Enter the sticky wicket.
Single engine aircraft are not allowed fly low over built up areas in the UK. Battersea Heliport on the banks of the river Thames in London requires single engine aircraft to fly along the path of the river and if they have an engine failure they have to ditch. All the other Heli-lanes in London can only be used by multi engine helicopters.

Alan

Southwest

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Single engine aircraft are not allowed fly low over built up areas in the UK.
Yep. We call it rule 5 or the 500 foot rule on the right hand side of the pond. "Except with the written permission of the CAA, an aircraft shall not be flown closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle or structure".

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Single engine aircraft are not allowed fly low over built up areas in the UK. Battersea Heliport on the banks of the river Thames in London requires single engine aircraft to fly along the path of the river and if they have an engine failure they have to ditch. All the other Heli-lanes in London can only be used by multi engine helicopters.

Alan
Yep. We call it rule 5 or the 500 foot rule on the right hand side of the pond. "Except with the written permission of the CAA, an aircraft shall not be flown closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle or structure".
Here in the U.S. one may fly over populated areas in a single-engine aircraft but at least 500' above the highest object on a VFR chart.

lancpudn

Reaction score
so an airfare hike is on the way for the EU markets? wouldn't be a surprise.

Yes airfares are about to rise across Europe. The aviation industry has enjoyed zero tax on aviation fuel unlike other forms of transport but that looks like it's about to end after the 13th July when new energy taxation laws will be proposed.

"The levies would be based on a fuel’s energy content and environmental performance, meaning polluting fuels would become pricier.
The aim is to encourage airlines to start switching to sustainable fuels, such as e-kerosene, to curb greenhouse gas emissions. Uptake of such fuels has been hampered by high costs though."

Latest Threads