Moving to Hawaii, questions about humidity and transport to the islands.

Hawaiilespaul

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I just signed up and wanted to introduce myself and ask a few questions, if I may.

I started playing guitar in 78. My first guitar was a knock off Les Paul and a few years later, a knock off SG, loved them. In the late 80's, early 90's, I found myself opening (with my band) for various notable bands like Soundgarden, Doughboys, Rollins Band blah, blah, blah, throughout Europe. I was 18 at the time. By 93 I moved to Los Angeles in hopes of making it big, but failed miserably, ha. I ended up as a propmaker in the movie biz in Hollywood. I had good career.
I moved to Austin TX in 2012.

Now, I am moving to Maui Hawaii.

The question I have is:
I am shipping all my belongings including about 8 guitars (Gibson Les Pauls, Sg, Firebird, Fender Tele, Strat, etc) and two Marshall JCM 800's and four 1960 cabs, A&B's.

I'm shipping everything in a 40' shipping container. It takes about 3-4 weeks to get everything to Maui.
My situation on Maui is this, I bought a fixer upper in Haiku, which is in the jungle and humidity is through the roof.

Beside loosening the strings on the guitars, what else should I be aware of. I'm worried about warping the necks in the hot container.
Once I'm there, should I worry about humidity for the guitars and Marshalls, since we have yet to install Air Conditioning in that house.
Should everything be wrapped in plastic?
Anybody have experience with high humidity?

Florida, Southern states and Hawaii people, any advice?

Thanks, C

Last edited:

LP1865

Reaction score
Hey!
:welcome:to the forum.
I can't speak for the US, but I live in India, and it gets shit hot here (48 degrees Celsius/ 118 degrees F).
Anyway, I would suggest you keep your guitars in their cases, with a dehumidifier in the case.
Theres nothing much to worry about, its gonna be okay.

judson

Reaction score
dont wrap in plastic, let them air out in the natural environment...they will survive.

plastic will trap moisture...dont do that

i had a few guitars sit in a garage for over 20 years in gig bags in the eastern USA with temps from 22 degress to 110.....still have them today and they play fine ..

Socrates

Reaction score
You'll be OK. i live in the Caribbean and we dont air condition our house...so my LPs live in 75-85% humidity year 'round...even inside the cases I cant get humidity below 72%....and I have tried all kinds of dehumidification case products but nothing really worked to lower humidity inside the cases.

Guitars are fine...no warping...just need truss rod tweaking now and then.

Only thing I found was all your metal hardware tarnishes very quickly, screws rust, bridge, tailpiece etc....but I dont mind the aged look

Two big things I find are that my frets oxidize very fast...need to polish them at least every other month...and strings...i can only use coated strings ...regular strings are toast within a week.

I also had Les Pauls ship from Miami in hot shipping containers and then sit in hot warehouses for about two weeks before I got them...no issues at all.

christopherJ

Reaction score
Shipping in a container on a boat for weeks is no safe thing. I'd build a crate to pack everything in with a bunch of desiccant and lash it to the deck of the container with bolts and straps. You don't pack it like a U-haul truck...

Hawaiilespaul

Reaction score
You'll be OK. i live in the Caribbean and we dont air condition our house...so my LPs live in 75-85% humidity year 'round...even inside the cases I cant get humidity below 72%....and I have tried all kinds of dehumidification case products but nothing really worked to lower humidity inside the cases.

Guitars are fine...no warping...just need truss rod tweaking now and then.

Only thing I found was all your metal hardware tarnishes very quickly, screws rust, bridge, tailpiece etc....but I dont mind the aged look

Two big things I find are that my frets oxidize very fast...need to polish them at least every other month...and strings...i can only use coated strings ...regular strings are toast within a week.

I also had Les Pauls ship from Miami in hot shipping containers and then sit in hot warehouses for about two weeks before I got them...no issues at all.
Nice, kind of what I wanted to hear. I'm not thrilled about the corrosion part, but that's the price I have to pay, in order to live on a tropical island. Thanks

judson

Reaction score
yeah when i woke up one day living in single room shithole ghetto and realized i wasnt going to be the next jimi hendrix......i stored my last two guitars and an ampeg V4 in my parents un heated, roof leaking garage...., cut my hair and got a job.

so 20 years later when my parents were moving, i got the gear, mice were living in both the amp and gigbag with the 2 guitars but they were fine after a little clean....still have them today, amp needs some work but they survived.....and so did i

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
I lived on oahu for years...
it’s really an amazing series of climates...
still visit Kapalua every year for a month or so....

‘The thing about Hawaii, especially older houses, is bad air-conditioning…
and the most important thing about air-conditioning is how it controls humidity…
You need to get a good window unit because, like Austin, humidity changes thru the seasons…
Especially as the winds come and go… despite u being in the rainier area, it’s not like New Orleans...u will see after a few months...hawaii is difficult to convey its ”seasons” because they change hour to hour
Get a good window mounted unit for whatever room you keep your guitars in and you’ll be fine… I promise…

You’ll also want an extra one for your bedroom…if u like it cool at night

-chris

cherrick

Reaction score
Lack of humidity is the problem with guitars, not the presence of it. And acoustic guitars are much more susceptible to environmental extremes rather than solid-body guitars.

Having said that, I assume that you and your 40' shipping container are subject to the Hawaii 2-week quarantine. So you'll be in some hotel and your equipment in the container for the first 14 days. Again, I assume.

Finally, if you have enough musical equipment to fill a 40' container, good on you. I have a modest collection and I could probably use a 24' container. So, wow.

tzd

Reaction score
I would add - don't pack all your Les Pauls into the shipping container. Carry-on your most valuable Les Paul with you on the plane. Les Paul headstocks break too easily in shipping.

If you have employed professional movers to ship your guitars, make sure you let them do the packing. You will not be able to claim damages if you packed them yourself.

DonP

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I just signed up and wanted to introduce myself and ask a few questions, if I may.

I started playing guitar in 78. My first guitar was a knock off Les Paul and a few years later, a knock off SG, loved them. In the late 80's, early 90's, I found myself opening (with my band) for various notable bands like Soundgarden, Doughboys, Rollins Band blah, blah, blah, throughout Europe. I was 18 at the time. By 93 I moved to Los Angeles in hopes of making it big, but failed miserably, ha. I ended up as a propmaker in the movie biz in Hollywood. I had good career.

The question I have is:
I am shipping all my belongings including about 8 guitars (Gibson Les Pauls, Sg, Firebird, Fender Tele, Strat, etc) and two Marshall JCM 800's and four 1960 cabs, A&B's.

I'm shipping everything in a 40' shipping container. It takes about 3-4 weeks to get everything to Maui.
My situation on Maui is this, I bought a fixer upper in Haiku, which is in the jungle and humidity is through the roof.

Beside loosening the strings on the guitars, what else should I be aware of. I'm worried about warping the necks in the hot container.
Once I'm there, should I worry about humidity for the guitars and Marshalls, since we have yet to install Air Conditioning in that house.

Thanks, C
I bought a 1977 LP Custom from HI. The pots were frozen and the jack needed TLC from the humidity. I was able to De-Ox and clean everything up.

I'd say to either use the knobs and jacks a lot of get some electronic lube and cleaner. De-Oxit is one of the best brands for this stuff.

Hawaiilespaul

Reaction score
No, quarantine does not apply to shipping containers. By the time the container gets there, it has already spent weeks crossing the pacific.
As for humans. As of today 10-15-2020, you can enter the island with a negative covid test and not have to do quarantine. Let's see how long that lasts.
I have a modest collection myself, all my household goods and tools have to fit in that container also. I'm only bringing two Marshall full stacks and a few electrics. You know, just enough to make some proper noise on the island :)
Having said that, I assume that you and your 40' shipping container are subject to the Hawaii 2-week quarantine. So you'll be in some hotel and your equipment in the container for the first 14 days. Again, I assume.

Finally, if you have enough musical equipment to fill a 40' container, good on you. I have a modest collection and I could probably use a 24' container. So, wow.

PGguy

Reaction score
My LP
Hey guys,

The question I have is:

Thanks, C
I had a few Gibson LP's, not all but some necks always cracked or simply broke off at the usual place, due to humidity and temp changes, no problems with Fender or other guitars.

dasherf17

Reaction score
yeah when i woke up one day living in single room shithole ghetto and realized i wasnt going to be the next jimi hendrix......i stored my last two guitars and an ampeg V4 in my parents un heated, roof leaking garage...., cut my hair and got a job.

so 20 years later when my parents were moving, i got the gear, mice were living in both the amp and gigbag with the 2 guitars but they were fine after a little clean....still have them today, amp needs some work but they survived.....and so did i
Speaking of those cute Ii'l furry critters, I had gotten a turntable, a sweet looking Garrard DD75 (wrong forum, I know) that had been inhabited by them before I got it. Hooked it up to the guitar amp to test before including it in the audio rig...no sound....tried all the controls on the amp, 'table and cords...nothing...took it to the workin' table, lifted the 'table off the plinth, here was a full grown nest in the plynth...wires from the tone arm to the audio jack's severed...
Replaced said wiring...all is good.

cherrick

Reaction score
Happy to hear that you can get into Hawaii without a 2 week quarantine with a (recent) Covid test. We're getting the tests in Austin, TX now with a 90 minute turn around and a 99.9% negative correct rate.

I am totally shocked at the restrictions in Australia and Israel. Australia just announced no one gets in until the end of 2021. And you can't get into Israel. Forget it. Tourism in Italy is done, gone and over.

rfrizz

Reaction score
I would add - don't pack all your Les Pauls into the shipping container. Carry-on your most valuable Les Paul with you on the plane. Les Paul headstocks break too easily in shipping.

If you have employed professional movers to ship your guitars, make sure you let them do the packing. You will not be able to claim damages if you packed them yourself.
OP, maybe you could get a policy which will cover the move, and you pack them yourself? I'd take tzd's idea one step further. Can you put half of your equipment in one container and the remainder in another container?

Latest Threads