Moved to Texas to get AWAY from snow. (Gratuitous LP pics)

Leee

Reaction score
I moved to Texas to get AWAY from snow.
Out west, we've been dealing with nasty wind and freezing rain/ice for DAYS - with the promise of snow.
Well, the snow finally started before dawn and the temps are headed toward zero.
Might I remind you all, this is TEXAS.
Not Michigan.

So I have to remind myself why I work outside in this crap.

(Gratuitous LP pics)

LPs2 - Shrunk.jpg

Foo for Thought

Reaction score
Sweet pic! Love the background. You gotta stop buying guitars from dudes who like to write their names on them. Messes up the finish. ;)

Look at is this way. The next time we (or maybe it's just me) are bitching about 8 months of endless summer in Texas, we can say at least it isn't snowing!

TXOldRedRocker

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My hands, feet and nose are frozen. I've been outside here in SE Texas protecting trees. I don't plant anything that can't handle a freeze. But it's going to get to single digits at my house. I'm in my 50's and this will be the coldest ever, or within a degree or two of the only other time it got this cold during my lifetime. We'll see how much ice and snow tomorrow. But some of what can normally handle upper to mid teens, isn't capable of handling 8 or 9 degrees without some protection. Fingers crossed. (I have spent all but just a few years of my life in the Houston area.)

I posted this last week, but to follow the theme of the OP, here it is again.

LPs2.jpg

elephantrider

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome to texas during the last hurrah of winter. now, what is currently happening is ridiculous, and not the norm.

Leee

Reaction score
Hah!
Yes, I grew up 150 miles north of Amarillo in SW Kansas.

It’s the elevation that deceives.
Flat as it looks, it’s close to 4,000 feet MSL.

Those High Plains just outta the Rockies get CRAZY weather. All the way up into Alberta.

(I have spent all but just a few years of my life in the Houston area.)
I was in Houston in ‘89-‘90 when there was snow on the ground - and ice in Galveston Bay.

Insane.

Tropical Storm Allison cured me of Houston in 2001.
NASTY divorce left me with only an old beater work truck, and it went swimming in our parking lot at work.
31 inches of rain at my house in 24 hours.
God clearly did not want me in Houston.

Last edited:

TXOldRedRocker

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hah!
Yes, I grew up 150 miles north of Amarillo in SW Kansas.

It’s the elevation that deceives.
Flat as it looks, it’s close to 4,000 feet MSL.

Those High Plains just outta the Rockies get CRAZY weather. All the way up into Alberta.

I was in Houston in ‘89-‘90 when there was snow on the ground - and ice in Galveston Bay.

Insane.

Tropical Storm Allison cured me of Houston in 2001.
NASTY divorce left me with only an old beater work truck, and it went swimming in our parking lot at work.
31 inches of rain at my house in 24 hours.
God clearly did not want me in Houston.
I was here in '89 then too.
In the mid 90's I drove through one of these at Christmas. Houston to Ruidoso, NM area. Normally about 10 hours. Took 26 hours of non-stop driving, by me, to get there.

I have been here for all the major hurricanes and such since the early 60's.

What’s the story on the black 3-pickup Custom?
Is it just me, or is that one from the seventies or eighties?
The 3 PUP Ebony is not old, it's one of these...

http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Peter-Frampton-Les-Paul.aspx

Standard 64

Reaction score
I think that when they said "Houston we have a problem " Somebody should of took notes.

jojo

Reaction score
doesn't happen too often there

JMP

Reaction score
I believe that’s “freedom “ snow that’s followed you to Texas.....it’s trying to make everything “great” again.....or something like that.

Sweet guitar collection you got there.

Last edited:

LesPaul60sTribute

Reaction score
I live in the upper Midwest. Our high temp today was -11 below zero - yes that was the high temp. The low was -28 below zero with -45 below wind chills. We have had a 10 day long run of brutally cold days. I actually dont mind it that much. In fact I like it much better that hot and sticky July weather. I also lived in Southern California for years so I do understand what beautiful year round temps and sunny days are like most all year. The trouble with southern California is that 20 years ago when I lived there it was very do-able. Weather was perfection - its was just glorious. Now its just completely out of line with reality. Housing has tippled in cost and wages have not moved much in 25 years.

metalmike222

Reaction score
I moved to Texas to get AWAY from snow.
Out west, we've been dealing with nasty wind and freezing rain/ice for DAYS - with the promise of snow.
Well, the snow finally started before dawn and the temps are headed toward zero.
Might I remind you all, this is TEXAS.
Not Michigan.

So I have to remind myself why I work outside in this crap.

(Gratuitous LP pics)

View attachment 519337
Very nice fiddles, BUT... you're in Texas now. Need to replace the backdrop with a proper Texas flag. As a comedian I went to high school said, "Hey man, I'm not even from America. I'm from this little country called Texas! " :cool:

@TXOldRedRocker I grew up in SETX. Went to HS at West Brook in Beaumont.

TXOldRedRocker

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice fiddles, BUT... you're in Texas now. Need to replace the backdrop with a proper Texas flag. As a comedian I went to high school said, "Hey man, I'm not even from America. I'm from this little country called Texas! " :cool:

@TXOldRedRocker I grew up in SETX. Went to HS at West Brook in Beaumont.
I grew up on the west side of Houston. Houston Lee grad myself. (Decades ago.)
My late first wife was a cheerleader at Nederland HS.

TXOldRedRocker

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
2:00 AM. Thunder, lightning, sleet and snow all at once in the Houston area. 17 degrees at my house. Lots of power outages. Plus, the web site that shows power outages and repair times is offline. I've never seen that before. Power is out as far as I can see in my area of the Houston suburbs.

Web site just came back up. Jumped from 30k customers without power to 100k in 1/2 hour or so.

Fortunately for me and my family, I have a backup generator for the entire house.

metalmike222

Reaction score
Yeah, I saw a projection last night that we might get as much as 7 inches by 3 pm today. This is nuts.

Latest Threads