Mountain bike rim repair question for MLP bike enthusiasts.

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
I like my single speeds, although I haven't ridden in years. One is a dedicated fixed gear with a short wheelbase ('09 GT Gutterball), one is a converted '88 GT Karakorum with a freewheel hub, and one is a converted '74 Favorit 10 speed, also fixed gear.

MSB

Reaction score
cycling is great, do as much or as little as you can. But there are tech advances that once you cross that line, you'll never go back

I plan to make mine earn its keep in the morning with my "little friends"

NRBQ

Reaction score
Well I'm proud to say that my Gary Fisher Paragon is road/trail worthy once again! The wheels were easy to adjust, they replaced a few spoke anchors and she's good to go. The tech said more may go because they're older and made of aluminum alloy so they're getting a little fragile. He said to keep an eye on them and if more pop we can just go ahead and replace all of them eventually. I brought the bike in to have them give it a once over when I picked up the wheels, and everything checked out fine, he made sure everything was tight, oiled the chain, checked the derailleur and ran thru all the gears, the brakes were great, front shock was fine, total cost $39.

The shop is a Trek dealer so they loved seeing what he called "a real Gary Fisher" which I thought was kind of funny. He said some of the older bikes including the old Fisher hardtails are almost becoming collector items now; of course that made me feel good. He said pre Trek GF bikes were really well made and noted that the frames especially were top notch, light, and made in America which he said was a very good feature.

I must say that it was really fun to ride my old friend once again, I had forgotten how much fun it is to just sort of float around, it's like your flying or something. It felt amazing to glide on and off the pavement, onto grass back on road again. Everything worked great other than my legs going up hill. He also mentioned that the tires I had were a great choice, slick like a road tire in the middle, and studded on the sides for off road riding, the best of both worlds for my style of riding, a truly versatile tire choice.

So that's it, as Willie Nelson sang, on the road again. I also found out that there are some nice trails close to where I live that are perfect for a casual rider like myself. I tried to take a pic with my cell phone but it says the file is too large for the server to process, boo hoo, oh well, that's life. Hi Ho Silver Away!

Last edited:

SGeoff

Reaction score
A great way to have fun and get some exercise. A 1 to 2 hour ride every morning is my physical therapy, since my back got messed up, and its working out pretty well. As a plus ( :dunno:) you can spend as much spare change on your bike as you do your guitar, car, boat , wife, etc. still fun tho!

NRBQ

Reaction score
My bike has the same problem. I've tried adjusting everything... still have the problem. ;)
See it's the whole gravity thing, if we could just find a way to stow ourselves and our bikes on the next trip to the moon, the gravity there is only one sixth that of the earths, that would solve all the uphill issues we're having. How hard can it be, and if that doesn't pan out, we can just fake it, I hear that works just as well. We can stream some Pink Floyd, nab some cheese and then hitch a ride back to the greenhouse. What could go wrong?

• Love
Reactions: Who

Latest Threads