Motorsports News: "Go home, FIA, you're drunk!"

Pennyman

Reaction score

AlbionLass

Reaction score
Limiting budgets and stopping pay drivers would get my vote.

Is the the same FIA that said an extra point for pole and fastest lap was silly?

dennis g

Reaction score
It's the International version of "The Chase"! Just another f'ing gimmick IMHO of course.

zeronalo

Reaction score
Another beauracracy fukcing up something good just for the sake of change.

Freddy

Barcham

Elitist Club Member
Reaction score
If they want proper competition again all they have to do is rip all the computerized controls out of the cars and let it actually be a racing completion again. No more traction control, no more wings that open and close under certain circumstances, no more automatic transmissions where the gears are changed by computers. I'd rather watch go kart racing than F1 these days.

kmk108

Reaction score
It's ok, because F1 will be more entertaining. Geez, what a farce.

Dave1968

Reaction score
One set of tyres per race, pit stops for new nose, wing change etc and no open wing with the 1 sec window / radar nonsense would be better and make more racing. Kers is fine, I liked the old 'turbo' days, they were cool!

As Frampton 129 said, the old points system too.

dennis g

Reaction score
If they want proper competition again all they have to do is rip all the computerized controls out of the cars and let it actually be a racing completion again. No more traction control, no more wings that open and close under certain circumstances, no more automatic transmissions where the gears are changed by computers. I'd rather watch go kart racing than F1 these days.

Years ago, in a time of no driver aids and manual 6 speed gearboxes, Ayrton Senna sent then FIA Pres Max Mosely a two page handwritten letter for a Christmas card, essentially begging him to not allow all of the above available at the time because it would diminish the driver's talents in controlling the car. Couldn't agree more. Then again, I'm a purist when it comes to this stuff.

Compare Senna in a 1989 F1 car v Schuey in a '99 with all the bells and whistles. You tell me which one had the better car control.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhT1zds5cZQ]Michael Schumacher Vs Ayrton Senna. Suzuka 1989 -1999. - YouTube[/ame]

jeff_farkas

Reaction score
In 99 the tyres had groves so the comparison is not a valid one.

Supernova

Reaction score
The reason they're doing this is to force teams to continue development of the car right until the last race of the season, rather than cut their losses and jump to next year, which has been the case the last few years (eg McLaren, Lotus, Sauber this year)

dennis g

Reaction score
It's not valid for a whole lot more reasons than a tire difference. Point was, driver ability. I'd take a Senna over a Schuey any day of the week. Apparently, so would Schuey. See his comment at the 2:40 mark or so:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kUNTtvMOtQ]Ayrton Senna Top Gear Tribute - YouTube[/ame]

And if you've never seen the '93 Donnington opening lap, FF to the 10 minute mark. Also interesting is Brundle's comments at the end of that lap. Yeah, I liked Senna as a driver

RedSkwirrell

Reaction score
They lost it years ago.
Now they're just trying to pick up the pieces.

Frampton129

Reaction score
If they double the amount of points awarded, does this mean they'll double the price of admission tickets, too?

Pennyman

Reaction score

Senna was a MONSTER. Schumacher had all kinds of computer-aided controls (that Senna railed against) and improved aero packages, and yet Senna turned in comparable lap times.

Sorry dude, but there are SO many differences between the cars that the comparison becomes even MORE valid.

Latest Threads