Motor Trend car of the year 2022: Lucid Air

mtgguitar

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
motortrend.com news

"New York (CNN Business)The Lucid Air, the first model from California-based electric car start-up company Lucid Motors, has been named MotorTrend's 2022 Car of the Year. It's the first time any automaker has won the award with its first car. "

CNN
"The entry-level Air features a single electric motor that drives the rear wheels and produces 480 horsepower. The rest of the lineup uses dual electric motors that provide all-wheel drive and a set of different horsepower ratings. The Touring model generates 650 horses, the Grand Touring makes 800, the Dream Edition Range is good for 933, and the top-of-the-line Dream Edition Performance model develops an enormous 1111 ponies."

2022-lucid-air-110-1633485634.jpg

Car & Driver

mtgguitar

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those tires are ugly.

Last edited:

TheX

I am Varna Sankar
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
We will be compelled to buy electric cars very soon. Those who continue to drive gas cars will be punished in the future (higher tax, loss of job, no parking areas...etc). Especially in CA

I'm pretty sure my gas truck is safe for quite a while in Texas...CA, not so much.

wildhawk1

Reaction score
Same people thought the Chevy Vega, Mustang II, Cirrus and PT Cruiser deserved the award.

Alfa Romeo Giulia and five variations of Chevrolets (Bolt, Volt, Camaro, Corvette, CTS) have won it in the last ten years.

Confirmed meaningless.

Not sure how this platform has escaped their votes considering it's ongoing popularity.

Last edited:

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Several reputable inside industry reviewers have also said the Lucid Air is going to put all other car companies on notice as to how an electric car should be. Good to have another disrupter in the industry other than Tesla.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Agree.

There's no logic in calling a $77,000 vehicle that has less than 1000 on the road car of the year.
This is a combination of propaganda and an author knowing he has a better chance getting a good placement if he writes about something new and wonderful (or terrible)...*

I can go out today and find dozens of extremely capable, highly review (lightly used), midsized sedans (Merc, Audi, BMW, etc.) for under $20k.

With the changes coming, we will be forced to buy ridiculously expensive EVs or take public transportation. Why shouldn't I be allowed to go buy the used, ICE car of my choice?

*and some payola. Publishing ain't what it used to be...**

**Oh yes, it is!

Latest Threads