Most Vintage-Correct Nitro lacquer available in the UK?

JMT Guitars

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

Quickie, what do you folks reckon is the best bet for a vintage-style nitro that will age and check and all the good stuff that is available in the UK? Please no rattle cans, I want to mix my own colours and UV darken it etc.

Cheers!

Bainzy

Reaction score
I've heard Fiddes bone hard lacquer is the best for what you seek but haven't got round to trying it yet. The price for a 5L can seems reasonable.

Link: https://fiddes.co.uk/shop/spray-fin...uers-sealers/nitrocellulose-lacquers-sealers/

The cans sold by Manchester Guitar Tech are great for colour coats but definitely don't have those properties. I last sprayed a guitar with those about 15 years ago and no sign of checking despite fairly rough treatment.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
good to know, bookmarked.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard Fiddes bone hard lacquer is the best for what you seek but haven't got round to trying it yet. The price for a 5L can seems reasonable.

Link: https://fiddes.co.uk/shop/spray-fin...uers-sealers/nitrocellulose-lacquers-sealers/

The cans sold by Manchester Guitar Tech are great for colour coats but definitely don't have those properties. I last sprayed a guitar with those about 15 years ago and no sign of checking despite fairly rough treatment.
good to know, bookmarked, i have finished an alder strat body using man guit tech rattle cans, man, how many coats did I have to spray? I think i used two cans for sealer, two cans for the white, and two cans for the nitro gloss. £90 in total. prolly 2 litres of product, damn, feel like i messed something up there.

Bainzy

Reaction score
I guess you're paying for the service and convenience with them, for a one off job I think cans are probably better than hiring or buying a compressor, air filters etc. I won't be using them much now I have a decent spray set up but they have a place.

My plan now is to use the Fiddes lacquer with aniline dye and Mixol tints for solid colours, which also seem fairly easy to source in the UK. I have sourced some aniline dye from Rothko and Frost although again haven't used them yet, I've heard the LMI ones are a lot stronger (read that as more effective) but will test both when I get around to spraying a finished guitar.

Latest Threads