Most versatile tube amp?

Gibson Lover

Reaction score
I'm looking into getting a good tube amp, and I'd like get something that's versatile enough to get close to Fender's clean tone and also dirty enough to mimmic a Marshall. Anyone have any suggestions? My budget is about $1,500, if that helps.
Get fender blues deluxe reissue fit it with Tung Sol tubes all of them.. change the speaker to a hemp cone a tone tubby or something equivalent add a secondary 12 inch speaker cabinet then run a Klon clone together with a tube screamer…. Voila .. lol

OGRI

Reaction score
I'm looking into getting a good tube amp, and I'd like get something that's versatile enough to get close to Fender's clean tone and also dirty enough to mimmic a Marshall. Anyone have any suggestions? My budget is about $1,500, if that helps.

OGRI

Reaction score
My opinion is you should try lots of Fender amps buy what you like the most and put a Carl Martin Plexi pedal in your pedal board for the Marshall sounds. I've used that set up for years and it works. I did have a Blackstar Stage 60 2x12 and that will give you both sounds but I found it needed more time in the repair than I could accept. So I kept the Fender amp and sold the Blackstar.

Cory

Reaction score
I mentioned the Bogner above, but I also believe any of the 20w Friedman’s would work too - I haven’t personally played any of them, but from what I’ve seen/heard/read they look great.

Deed

Reaction score
When facing the same question I picked a used Laney VC15-110. Not quite a Fender or a Marshall, but you can get excellent clean, crunch and even some high gain tones.

Attachments

Tensjeek

Reaction score
The mesa Boogie Recto-Verb 25 does EXACTLY that. and the two channels are independent and switachable by foot. Someone elswe recommended a Mesa Boogie combo's. He is absolutely correct. And you can find a great used one in your price range. BRAND new I think the recto verb is $1499. The PRS sonzera is al;so close, nbut not as close as the Mesa Boogie combo's. Hope that this helps

SilverBurstDR

Reaction score
A Rivera Chubster . It does both Fender Cleans and Marshall Dirt. I own the Chubster 40. It's a great amp.

keys88

Reaction score
In my experience it's easier to replicate Marshall gain than it is to replicate Fender cleans. For $1500 you could pick up a nice Fender amp for your basic tone, then add a good Marshall-voiced pedal for your dirt. The best thing is you can find pedals that are made to replicate specific eras of the Marshall tone (Plexi, JCM800, modern high gain, etc). So you can fine-tune your tone however you want. And good pedals can have a very amp-like tone and response so you're not missing much if you go that route.

mbm1972

Reaction score
Bogner Shiva. I found mine used and local for 1k. Beautiful tones. I also found one of my Demeter TGA-3's at your max budget limit, and that amp is one of the best Fender-n-Marshall-in-a-box amps ever made, period.
+1 for the Bogner Shiva -this is the amp you are describing. I have never experienced a better, more versatile amp to pair with a les paul. Other options that might get you really close are the various Mesa amps that have been mentioned in several threads (I use a lonestar head with a 2x12 closed-back rectifier cab, and you can get results nearly on par with the Shiva if you take the time to read the manual), and the Fender Hot Rod DeVille 4x10. The DeVille is a beast though, but I bought one new back in the early 2000's for just $1,000, so this could be a really good option for you, depending on your home/practice environment (I never turned it up past 1, maybe 1.5 and it literally shook the building). Then again, as a "budget" option, you could get a DeVille and a good attenuator and you'd still be within your budget, I should think.

Bobbo9091

Reaction score
You
Where are you playing ,, what size audience? If you buy a fender ,how clean? Super Reverb is cleanest, with outboard effects you'll get marshal dirty sound, you can also get crunch with the sp rvb without effects

THAWK819

Reaction score
Check out some demos, or better yet try out if you can, a Friedman JJ Jr. It has 3 different clean voices and 2 different gain channel voices. It’s easily the most versatile amp I’ve ever owned and I’ve owned several Fender and Marshall amps.

I consolidated once I saw how this amp covered their sonic territory and then some.

Last edited:

Geronimo

Reaction score
Orange TH30. Combo or head. I have two. One for a backup. Been using them since they came out. $1199 new. 6-800 used.

bentfinger

Reaction score
Does anyone rate Dr. Z ?
I have played through one and thought it pretty comprehensive

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
Believe it or not I'd say get a Crate Palomino V32. There's a mod you have to do to upgrade a resistor on the board, but once that's fixed it's an amazing amp that can get Fender and VOX like cleans, as well as Marshall-ish dirt. The preamp section is surprisingly good, and the clean channel as a pedal platform is stellar complete with an effects loop. It's becoming my favorite live amp when there's no keyboardist (I use a DRRI when we have keys to thin it out a bit). You can find them for around $400.00 in good shape. Great little amp. They should have fixed the overheating issue and kept them in production!

Zpicker

Reaction score
Dr Z Maz 18 NR. Extremely versatile amp. Speaker makes a big difference. Greenback a good choice in this amp.

cjp54

Reaction score
Suhr PT15
Just saw your budget of 1500. Not sure what they go for used but new is above your budget.

Last edited:

Cmoore0475

Reaction score
Maybe look into an older used Matchless c-30

Steve2112

Reaction score
Why not have a Fender for clean and a pedal like the SD Palladium, Empress Heavy, or Friedman Brown Eye? You can get that signature Fender clean in whatever configuration suits you...then fine tune your drives and distortions....come in WAY under budget. You need a channel switch pedal anyway. Make it a perfect one.

My OLD OLD Twin makes every pedal and guitar shine. Nothing sounds bad through it.

Steve2112

Reaction score
Get fender blues deluxe reissue fit it with Tung Sol tubes all of them.. change the speaker to a hemp cone a tone tubby or something equivalent add a secondary 12 inch speaker cabinet then run a Klon clone together with a tube screamer…. Voila .. lol
You beat me to it. I would try to stick to a single dual-distortion...but that works too!

lespauled

Reaction score
For the most flexibility, you have 2 choices:

- Randall RM100, 50, 20

- Synergy

Both of these are modular options, and are fantastic options to get multiple sounds out of your amp. The Randall RM series have up to 3 preamp modules (RM100).

If you already have an amp you love and want to expand on that, the Synergy is a great option. It can add another preamp, thus giving you another amp that works through your existing amp. A simple footswitch to switch between the amp's preamp, and the Synergy preamp.

Latest Threads