Most Underrated Pickups

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Reaction score
Sold Ibanez in the 70s fwd, where I worked.... They had some damn nice sounding pickups across the board....

I have a mint 1980 Blazer Skrat type, natural, dense yankee ash, maple neck/board, fully covered and very quiet Skrat pickups, 3 digit #...... Killer guitar I'll never sell.... Nads like grapefruit... All the ibz I owned were great.... I was a dumbass for not taking the Weir home and just slide the case under the bed for a few decades....

They could build some nice sounding pickups.....

John Ucol

Reaction score
Bare Knuckle Painkillers are a niche set, from what I've noticed. But they're one of my ideal choices for lower tuning and mahogany. I have a couple sets in one of my Custom 24's and 7 string LP.

kakerlak

Reaction score
  • Franz singlecoils (used by Guild until the early '60s)
  • Guild minihumbuckers and HB-1s
  • G&L MFDs
  • Micro-Frets pickups
  • Bill Lawrence stuff in general
  • The Yamaha minihumbuckers from the late sixties and early seventies (cool big coil/little coil design)
  • Gretsch Hi-Lo trons (really low output but so musical)
  • Hofner staple pickups
  • Supro lap steel pickups with the steel plate that bolts over the top of the strings
  • Vox singlecoils
  • Hagstrom singlecoils

Last edited:

Dryz

Reaction score
The big G&L mfds in my asat special. It's the biggest telecaster tone in the world. Love it. I think Fralin P90s are underrated. Everyone goes straight to lollar but his pickups never stay long in any of my guitars. Big fan of the Duncan 59s which have fallen out of favor. Works with my ac30s very well. Good with my blackface fenders too.

BadPenguin

Reaction score
Ibanez V7 and V8's.
Uncle Matt MMK 45's
Kramer Quads.
The A2 sets that Aria used in 77. (you got them I want them!)

Zoobiedood

Reaction score
The big G&L mfds in my asat special. It's the biggest telecaster tone in the world. Love it. I think Fralin P90s are underrated. Everyone goes straight to lollar but his pickups never stay long in any of my guitars. Big fan of the Duncan 59s which have fallen out of favor. Works with my ac30s very well. Good with my blackface fenders too.
59s are a legit choice for most styles, even after all these years.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
Duncan Invader

j/k :D

Seriously... I do have a pair in my Kramer and like them for what they were intended to be.
My favorite Duncan combo is the JB/59 pair.

Quiglam Panster

Reaction score
Truth is Gibson burstbuckers and classic 57s are pretty poor imo. It's like they're trying to sound enhanced but in a mass produced way can't pull it off. Wouldn't surprise me at all if the the simpler Epiphone pups (which aren't trying to sound like something else) are actually better sounding pickups. I had a.gibson SG remake that played wonderfully but I decided to sell it all stock with the original classic 57s rather than modify with better pups and lower the value.
YUP. 100%

Elmore

Reaction score
I am currently using a Seymour Duncan Whole Lotta Humbucker in the bridge of my number one Les Paul. Have not heard that much about them, but boy what a great aggressive bridge tone out of a Marshall.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I really like the Gotoh L8001s! And the 1976 S Stamped Maxons.

And I have quite a few pairs of really nice pickups, but never saw any good reason to replace either of those with anything boutique or aftermarket.

Zoobiedood

Reaction score
My favorite underrated ones are the Five Twos in a Strat. Using 2 different magnets for the high and low strings, they manage to solve the shrill highs issue I have with many Strats. It is a wonderful pickup set.

jwag

Reaction score
Went out for dinner the other night and noticed they had a band getting ready to start. Stuck around and had a couple drinks and listened for their first set and was blown away by the tones their lead player was getting. He had a Les Paul going through a Peavey Classic 30. When they took their first break I asked him about his guitar, and he told me It was a 2001 loaded with Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 Pro’s, not the Slash Set. I’ve never played that set or even paid any attention to them, but in his guitar they sounded excellent.

Zenatty1

Premium Member
Reaction score
Bill Lawrence L500XL - in a Les Paul= exquisite

vklobucar

Reaction score
Donlis A2 and A5 humbuckers.

Direct from Aliexpress and can even be had as double creme sets.

Unreal clones with stellar build quality for a fraction of the price of high end brands.

Last edited:

Latest Threads