Most Underrated Pickups

Leumas

Reaction score
Yeah, around these parts, folks love to trumpet how much they dislike them. I think they sound great for Hard Rock, some Metal, Classic Rock, '90's Alternative, etc. However, I know a few killer players who don't even think about these things and make their guitars sing with these pups.
One of the best guitar players I ever heard was a morbidly obese guy holding court in a dive bar on Bourbon Street in New Orleans. He was playing hot jump blues and southern rock with a bass player and a drummer. I watched that guy for hours. Know what his rig was? An epiphone dot and a peavey classic 30 miked and run through the pa.

dc007

Premium Member
Reaction score
One of the best guitar players I ever heard was a morbidly obese guy holding court in a dive bar on Bourbon Street in New Orleans. He was playing hot jump blues and southern rock with a bass player and a drummer. I watched that guy for hours. Know what his rig was? An epiphone dot and a peavey classic 30 miked and run through the pa.
It's in the hands

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
Original DeArmond Dynasonics and original Fender WRHBs.
Ding ding ding!!!
I recently scored a 74 Tele Custom and it's my first experience with the WRHB...I'm blown away.
AND...not only the Dyna, but the later model Dyna 2000 (NOT 2K), which, I find, compares VERY favorably to the original Dynas. I just bought another and I'm looking for somewhere to put it.
001.JPG

jimmyjames

Reaction score
Dry Z 'buckers are the legendary MIJ pups, but the later Fuji-Gen Double Trick pups deliver beautiful balanced tones. They retain clarity and have the "ghost note" too. A5 mags I believe, maybe not up there with the Zs (I haven't tried Zs myself) but very good and much cheaper :yesway:

red_bull

Reaction score
Dry Z's are amazing if that's the sound you're after. But certainly not under rated from those in the know. I had a Greco with them but sold it as it wasn't the sound I'm after. But the guy who bought it (a huge Larry Carlton fan, I think) understandably loved them.

jimmyjames

Reaction score
Dry Z's are amazing if that's the sound you're after. But certainly not under rated from those in the know. I had a Greco with them but sold it as it wasn't the sound I'm after. But the guy who bought it (a huge Larry Carlton fan, I think) understandably loved them.
Wasn't saying the Zs are underrated, probably overhyped. The Double Tricks are underrated IMHO.

LDFox

Reaction score
My 97 Korean Studio LP.
I bought ProBuckers from China with the Push/Pull Pots and now it has the same pickups and electronics as the new Epiphones. I customized the pickup guards and pick guard. cost around 60.00 dollars for the pickup set. Why buy a new one just to get the electronics. rather upgrade Old Faithfull. I'm trying to put the Epiphone Push/Pull pots in My SG but with different 4 wire pickups other than ProBuckers

Lakeabilene

Reaction score
The Dot likely had the pickups and all electrical ripped out and replaced with Gibson parts. Like mine. Sounds amazing.

IanHenry

Reaction score
Hi,
In my opinion one of the best pickups that Gibson has made in recent years is the 59 Tribute, For some strange reason they only fitted them on the 2014 and the much maligned 2015 Les Paul Traditional' s, then oddly they disappeared, which I find strange because they sound great!

Shadow13

Reaction score
My vote would be for the Ibanez Super70's. Had a set in my original 1976 LP copy and the current 1977 all original LP copy that I have
IMG_20190213_124104144.jpg

Shadow13

Reaction score
Hi,
In my opinion one of the best pickups that Gibson has made in recent years is the 59 Tribute, For some strange reason they only fitted them on the 2014 and the much maligned 2015 Les Paul Traditional' s, then oddly they disappeared, which I find strange because they sound great!
I agree with you here, I have a 2014 Traditional Honeyburst, many years of wanting a real LP and 3 others slipped from my purchace bought this one about 2 years ago now. Just getting back to playing more electric and well this is a sweet sounding guitar, and just bought to go with her a Bogner Shiva combo.
IMG_20180205_134446579.jpg

DarrellV

Welcome to the internet!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Zhangbucker P-90's anyone? :rofl:

I know the name sounds kinda funny as it rolls off the tongue, but if I ever sell this guitar (likely won't) these pickups are staying forever!

Cherrick and Blues 90.

Fell in love with the sound while re-tuning the guitar after install.. played on the neck so long I forgot to try the bridge and middle! :rofl:

solidwalnut

Reaction score
I built a '59 "LP" from a kit in 2014. I went with a vintage T-Top that I had for the neck, but chose an EVH Frankenstein for the bridge. That EVH pickup cuts through, big time. I play in a classic rock band, and when it's time to play lead, it's easy to pump up the volume and cut through. Give it a shot.

fry

Reaction score
Hi,
I agree 100%. I had a guitar with those in it, and they ranked up there with anything I’ve ever heard in person. Not a lot of them floating around, and when you see them, the asking prices are outrageous.

Reactions: Jer

SaM HiLL

Reaction score
I have a Super 70 and would never use "overpowering" to describe it. I've had it for almost 40 years and it's the yardstick I use to measure other humbuckers. Not many sound as good to my ears. I have a Duncan that's pretty close, and oddly the stock pickups in my Epi Korina Explorer aren't far off.

Latest Threads