Most Underrated Pickups

red_bull

Reaction score
Ibanez V1/V2 get my vote.
No one talks about them and they can be had dirt cheap online.
But they're probably my all time favorite...not too overpowering like their more famous super 70 brethen.
Really excellent blend of compressed rock sound with excellent range and expression when you need and want it.
Loaded with harmonics for a passive.
I think they were supposed to be Ibanez answer to DiMarzio Super Distortion, which I also like. But the latter are higher output, and don't have the range.

Attachments

Last edited:

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
Tom Short pickups. He doesn’t wind anymore, and they are extremely hard to find.

His Marc Ford humbuckers are incredible, there’s nothing like them being made anywhere.

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
I’d say for more affordable guitars I also vote for the Epiphone pro buckers.. I’m sure they could benefit from good pots and wiring and really shine. Most don’t bother and replace it all.

I’ve had some real nice higher end pickups.. Wizz, OX4, and Custom Shop Duncans and they sound great. for well under $200 a pair, Dimarzio makes some great affordable PAF options that I’ve noticed people overlook.

LtKojak

Reaction score
Duncan Designed HB101 set and the HB102N and HB103N (it's the same p'up with a different magnet).

If you change the Polepieces and Slugs with some of known metallurgy, the tonefootprint gets way past the "decent" attrubute.They also gracefully take magnet changes. The neck models sound great with A3, A2 and A4 magnets. The HB101B sounds great with A2, A4, A6 and A8 magnets.

OTOH, I'm not a fan of the HB102B and HB103B models (here too is the same p'up with a different magnet). They're a one-trick-pony, geared towards heavy music. Not my cup of tea.

dc007

Premium Member
Reaction score
Brandonwound pickups. Bang for the buck winner for me

bad565ss

Reaction score
Several Dimarzio pickups come to mind and I once used a set of A2 Tonerider pickups
that were really good and really cheap.

Leumas

Reaction score
Epiphone Probuckers.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with them, but everyone who buys a new Epiphone assumes they are crap and buys a new set.
My answer is almost identical...490r and 498t. I like them. They were stock for so long in so many guitars that people just rip them out. I swapped out pickups four or five times in my number one and eventually just put the original set back in because I loved how it sounded.

red_bull

Reaction score
Epiphone Probuckers.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with them, but everyone who buys a new Epiphone assumes they are crap and buys a new set.
Truth is Gibson burstbuckers and classic 57s are pretty poor imo. It's like they're trying to sound enhanced but in a mass produced way can't pull it off. Wouldn't surprise me at all if the the simpler Epiphone pups (which aren't trying to sound like something else) are actually better sounding pickups. I had a.gibson SG remake that played wonderfully but I decided to sell it all stock with the original classic 57s rather than modify with better pups and lower the value.

Last edited:

ARandall

Reaction score
The stock ceramic singlecoils in MIM Tele's from a few years back.

They were loud and beefy, but not harsh. The ideal Tele singlecoil for a humbucker guy really. Even the neck wasn't too bad, which is usually a lowpoint for the Tele.

Stinky Kitty

Premium Member
Reaction score
Heritage HRW pickups.

Not cheap, if you can find them, and practically unknown even within the group of Heritage aficionados.

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score

They were loud and beefy, but not harsh. The ideal Tele singlecoil for a humbucker guy really. Even the neck wasn't too bad, which is usually a lowpoint for the Tele.
I have a '15 Standard Tele. I wonder if it has the pickups you speak of. I know it sounds good to me.

ARandall

Reaction score
I have a '15 Standard Tele. I wonder if it has the pickups you speak of. I know it sounds good to me.
That was pretty close to the time-period that the loaded body came from.....so could well be!!

freefrog

Reaction score

A few Fender ceramic mags for single coils have been tested with our local lab meter. They were way less magnetized than some Epiphone ceramic bars took for reference and on par with the stock ceramic bar of a Duncan Custom.
IOW: these Fender mags had been properly charged.

So and although a pickup can't be reduced to its mag(s), I'm not surprised by your testimonial. :)

The coils of such PU's give useable dummy coils, too.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
My answer is almost identical...490r and 498t. I like them. They were stock for so long in so many guitars that people just rip them out. I swapped out pickups four or five times in my number one and eventually just put the original set back in because I loved how it sounded.
Yeah, around these parts, folks love to trumpet how much they dislike them. I think they sound great for Hard Rock, some Metal, Classic Rock, '90's Alternative, etc. However, I know a few killer players who don't even think about these things and make their guitars sing with these pups.