Most Under-rated guitarist or solo?

dro

Reaction score
Did I mention Derek St. Holmes from the Ted Nugent band in 1975. On his white 3 PU SG Custom. Was the coolest guitar I had seen at that moment.
Sammy Hagar. Never count out the Red Rocker.
And a lesser known Velvet Phelts. Poonanny Blues Band

InTheEvening

Reaction score
I don't think Page falls into the underrated category :shock: but, I always liked the solos on The Rover and Traveling Riverside Blues.
The Rover is one of my favorite solos.

Going off of that, I always loved Page’s solo on In The Evening (hence my username), I think it’s one of his best, but doesn’t seem to get noticed too much.

For underrated players...I used to say Mick Mars, but he seems to be well respected in all the guitar communities these days. Heard that wasn’t always the case. In an era of 80’s shredders his less technical playing made him more unique and he laid down some amazing heavy riffs. Plus his ability to do some really fast right hand picking always impressed me. He’s one of my favorite guitarists from that period.

Last edited:

gball

Reaction score
For me, the most overlooked/underrated is Andy McCoy from Hanoi Rocks. Damn that dude was all over the fretboard, always tasty, always unique. And he wrote all the songs.

Brazilnut

Reaction score
Don Barnes, of 38 Special, played the hell out of an old brown LP Special doublecut. His solos were awesome, and he often played them over his own vocals, which I find very impressive.

DaveSG

Reaction score
RORY HOFFMAN!!!!

Guy is a beast...one of the best living guitarists in the world.

Nobody knows him, and I never hear about him on any lists. What he can do with a guitar is unbelievably amazing. And he is blind.

BadPenguin

Reaction score
Glad to my hero Bill Nelson mentioned!
Steve Hackett (Early Genesis)
Anthony Phillips (Early Genesis)
Andrew Latimer (Camel)
Gary Green (Gentle Giant)
Roye Albrighton (Nektar)

Guitarhack

Reaction score
Since this MyLesPaul.... Barrie Cadogan (of Little Barrie) playing a 59 Les Paul.

PRSWILL

Reaction score
why isn't this post a poll?? too many opinions and options - categories for Rock, Punk, Jent, Metal, Death Metal, Jazz, Fusion- and a lot more - so far, 13 pages of opinions= no consensus = poll

Nintari

Reaction score
Buckethead comes to mind first, then... believe it or not... Slash.

Yes, he's celebrated. Yes, he has his own signature guitar etc. But when you hear talk about the greats, he almost never comes up and that's ridiculous imo because some of his solos back in GNR were unbelievable. The sheer amount of emotion he put into those bends and notes was breathtaking. On some tracks like Back and Forth (off his first solo record), he literally makes the guitar weep and wail with sorrow. You sit there, listening to it and you're like... damn! Very few rock guitarists were able to do that. It was mostly a blues trait... and a trait which only the very best bluesmen possessed.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re all missing the most underrated player of all time.......

66261B4F-3D32-4D4E-8575-CB8631DF3618.jpeg

Nigel Tufnel

Prospector

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drew Abbott of Bob Seger’s original Silver Bullet Band. So many memorable riffs, and nobody knows his name.

Frank Marino of Mahagony Rush. The Real Live album is one of the greatest virtuoso electric guitar performances ever recorded.

NotScott

Reaction score
RORY HOFFMAN!!!!

Guy is a beast...one of the best living guitarists in the world.

Nobody knows him, and I never hear about him on any lists. What he can do with a guitar is unbelievably amazing. And he is blind.

DAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYUMMMMMMM, that boy is GOOD! Thank you!

Latest Threads