Most Under-rated guitarist or solo?

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
Saw the date on the first page & jumped to the end, so sorry if this repeats anything:

Perhaps the most overlooked guitarist ever is Bob Weir; he spent 30 years standing between 2 talents so gigantic that many overlook his unique, whimsical approach to rhythm guitar as the work of genius that it is. If the guitar genie came out of my soundhole today and offered me the chops of any picker ever, I wouldn't hesitate - make me Bobbie!

And while Mr. King was in no way underrated, I have to go on record that the intro to "How Blue Can You Get" off Live at Cook County Jail is the finest guitar solo ever recorded. Period.

And since I'm editing for spelling, let me give a shout-out to the amazing Elvin Bishop :dude:

Walt_T

Reaction score
Glad Phil K. was mentioned here. Did some acoustic jams with him in the late 70's at an old barn converted to a worship place called "The Love Inn" in Freeville, NY. It was a great experience, thanks for reminding me!
I was 18 or 19 at the time, and never went back there after a few times, the place wasn't my thing. Wonder if it's even there anymore.

jrharrigan

Reaction score
steve rothery of marillion is the most melodic player i have ever heard. he gets almost no attention, but he would make my top five list any day of the week.

stgreg

Reaction score
Joan Jett: Simply because she ran out of riffs 30 years ago and manages to keep going - as well as recently inducted.. :naughty:

Spookytooth67

Reaction score
Manuel Carlton-Nazareth

The guitar work on "Morning Dew" was just blistering.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dino thread, but I’ll play.

Neil Young...... “cinnamon girl”

Non-rabbit

Reaction score
Grant Geissman from Chuck Mangione's band. Feels So Good is probably my favorite guitar solo ever. Every time I hear it is like oh my godddd. There are some stunts in that solo that I've never heard anyone else do.

Aaron Dugan who played with Matisyahu also had a great solo on King Without a Crown that I've always liked.

Spiderman0863

Reaction score
Pete Lesperance, Harem Scarem. Criminally underrated. If you are unfamiliar Please check out the instrumental Mandy.

Last edited:

Lhdr

Reaction score
Luther Allison. A monster - who also has a voice to back it up.

But really it’s all those local guitarist who were better than you and taught you how to play. The ones nobody’s ever heard of, but are just so awesomely talented.

Latest Threads