Most Under-rated guitarist or solo?

SJJMcGhee

Reaction score
hi, looking to get into some new stuf, was wondering who you guys thought were always under-rated guitar players or an under-rated solo on a song. i'd say allen collins is pretty damn good, and played good stuf, and the solo from "another nail in my heart" by squeeze is perfect :slash:
always hear of the big dogs, nice to hear about some others for a change :thumb:

AxeBuilder

Reaction score
Under-rated by whom? The Forum? The Hall of Shame? The Press?

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I don't think Page falls into the underrated category :shock: but, I always liked the solos on The Rover and Traveling Riverside Blues.

TerribleRacket

Reaction score
Whenever I catch a bad case of the Pentatonics a bit of the Pixies' Joey Santiago tends to remind me that there are a lotta notes hiding between those frets. He has a very unique and economical approach to phrasing that frequently starts or resolves in full or partially dissonant notes. His bending technique is also a good reminder that there's no rule that says that bends need to be made at a uniform tempo and he constantly demonstrates that one huge, deliberate bend can say a whole lot more than a flurry of weedly weedly.

While I concede he's not everyone's cup of tea, I think he's terribly under rated as a clever and very unique player. Plus, he has great taste in guitars: He plays a gorgeous old gold top and one heck of a ritzy looking black custom.

EasyAce

Reaction score
He wasn't exactly one of the world's most underrated guitarists, but everyone still seems to be so enthralled with his whizbang (for their time) turns with the original Butterfield Blues Band that stuff like this tends to be very underrated, even if I think it's some of the most beautiful guitar playing I ever heard in my life . . .

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31EMHS65Nf0]Mike Bloomfield (with Al Kooper), "Really"[/ame]

And this man just might have been the most underrated slide guitarist of his (or any) time, in hand with a lead guitar partner who's likewise badly underrated . . .

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lIG-Ilc-bk]Alan Wilson (slide) and Henry Vestine (lead) with Canned Heat, "When Things Go Wrong (It Hurts Me Too)" (live)[/ame]

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
I've never seen these ratings, or know what they're measuring.

Also, it seems to me that the most underrated player is necessarily unknown.

thexmadxtopxhatter

Reaction score
Hmm don't know if he falls in the category of under rated, but this ol' blues guy sean costello :D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWZoX7Vszq0&feature=related]Sean Costello Band - Don't Pass Me By - YouTube[/ame]

Latest Threads